Working out and getting bored... HELP

Options
I have been going to the gym 4-5 days a week. Whenever I go, I start with 30 min on the elliptical then I go to the free weights or machines. While I am on the elliptical, I really feel like I am working out... My heart is pumping, I am sweating etc... but as soon I as start on the machines, I feel good for the first 3 or 4 machines but then I get bored and am counting the minutes until it is time to go home. I keep trying to mix it up but I don't know...

Any one have any ideas? I love going to the gym but I guess I just need to spice it up...

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier on the free weights. I find it difficult to be bored when I feel like my body may collapse.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to research some new workouts. I'm the opposite some days. I love hitting the weights. 6-7 exercises, 4 set each with 45-60 seconds of rest between sets. That gets your heart pumping for 45-50 minutes.
  • pinchaninch1
    pinchaninch1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My instructor said to do interval training ie 1 min fast run 1 min walk or 2 mins each, this helped me stop getting bored x
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Do you just randomly walk around and do machines or do you follow a program? I would suggest following a program that incorporates both free weights and machines. Not only does it give you a goal to follow to get to the end of the workout (thus ridding you of your boredom), you will have more success if you are on a tried and true program.
  • chgn4me
    chgn4me Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started Hiit training on the elliptical which helped... I will definitely be looking up more exercises...
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Look up some workouts for circuit/interval training, they combine strength and cardio and really bump up the challenge factor. Also, try a new class! Anything to shake it up and give you something to look forward to.
  • chgn4me
    chgn4me Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a random walker for the most part.... I work out my abs every day I go to the gym... Then my arms and legs are randoms.. There are no set days where I do either...

Even though I use the elliptical, should I still have a leg day after?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the gym does not require spice. the gym requires committment. find an established training program and stick to it. once you start to see results in the mirror i bet you stop worrying about spice and starting looking for success.

Happy Birthday Lea!

thskadance20couple.gif
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, mix it up, there are lots of wonderful things out there!
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to superset when lifting weights. Do one exercise, move on to another (a different muscle group), then another and repeat 3 times. I don't rest between sets. I keep it moving fast. Then I'll jump on the treadmill or bike for high intensity cardio in between each circuit. I'll usually do 3 or 4 full circuits for a total of 9-12 different lifting exercises. I never get bored lifting when I'm working hard and sweating. Try mixing it up a little. Watch what some other people are doing at your gym. You can get some great ideas. And if it feels like you're not working hard, try lifting heavier weights.