Very picky eater!! I need help!

Options
Im a very picky eater and dont like a lot of things. I will not eat fish at all and veggies arent my favorite. I have really been trying to eat more veggies but its super hard when I dont really like them in the first place. So I guess what im looking for are some awesome ideas of what to eat throughout my day that wont pack on a bunch of carbs and calories. As of right now Im at a total loss. I have no clue what to be eating.

I try to look at everyones diarys but most of them have some sort of fish on there and I cant get ideas off that when I know I wont eat that.

If theres anyone out there thats picky like me please add me. I need all the help I can get. If you dont want to add me then please please help with some ideas.

Thank you all in advance

Replies

• tiffanyschleif
    tiffanyschleif Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chicken, and lean turkey are also other lean protein sources.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm very picky with food. I basically eat like a 5 year old. i'm embaressed to go out an eat. I rarely try new things. I eat the few things I do like but eat them is very small portions throughout the day to keep me full but still under my numbers. Carbs are my biggest problem. I wish you luck and hope you can be more adventerous then I am. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want, maybe we can help each other with some ideas.
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hate fish too, Amanda! And most vegetables, yuck. I can only stand some when mixed into something. I consider myself quite a fussy eater. I'm finding my diet quite easy to stick to though. I don't normally "add friends", but I'll add you and you can have a look at my diary if you want? Maybe it'll help! Let me know? Feel free to ask any questions :)
  • Crawkins
    Options
    Meijer recently introduced pasta that's made from/with lots of vegetables. It was only $1.00 last time we were there, so I tried it and it tastes just like normal noodles. Sneaking in extra fiber and nutrients whenever you can is a plus, even if it's just with something you'd normally eat anyways!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Edamame beans and tofu are great sorce of protein
  • nicmor10
    Options
    I'm the worlds pickiest eater as well. honestly to lose weight, just exercise and staying within 1200 calories a day. i rarely eat super healthy, just made lifestyle changes through portion control. I haven't exercised much as I'm working full time now that I'm on uni holidays and have managed to lose 3.5kg in 3 weeks. its sustainable so i love it!
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Would it help any to look at food in a new light. Why do we have all these beautiful foods? Because they contain all the nutrients including micro nutrients that we need. If all we needed for strong healthy bodies was a few things we could just be taking a beige pill. I don't like raw veggies at all so I cook mine. Really improves their taste. I make lots of veggies soups and always use lots of onion garlic and black pepper for seasoning. I hope you will give some of the ideas you will get here a try. I love fish but don't eat it often too expensive.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Meat
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Nuts
  • AmandaJW1981
    AmandaJW1981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for commenting! You all are awesome!
  • boldest_dragon
    Options
    I also hate most vegetables (especially when they're cooked with anything else). Right now I'm concentrating on working more fresh fruit into my diet, and tackling vegetables after that. I've been eating some form of fresh fruit for breakfast for two weeks now (grapes, apples, blackberries, whatever's in season and reasonably inexpensive), and I'm definitely getting used to (and liking) the taste better than I did. Hopefully it will work for the veggies!
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pureed carrots or squash (I found pureed squash in the frozen organic food section, cheap!) thrown into pasta sauces is really easy to boost veggie count. V8 and smoothies can be good additions to your diet for right now too - when you throw in a handful of strawberries to a smoothie, you taste that more than a bit of spinach or carrot.

I don't know how much you like cooking but veggie lasagna and vegetable soup have been easy ways for me to get everyone in my house eating more vegetables... the fiber is just so good for you :) Making black bean burgers and throwing in a carrot to the food processor when blending, throwing frozen (and thawed) spinach into regular burgers, finely dicing yellow squash and putting it into whole wheat mac and cheese, half mashed potatoes half mashed cauliflower blend... I've tried quite a few tricks. :)
  • AmandaJW1981
    Options
    Pureed carrots or squash (I found pureed squash in the frozen organic food section, cheap!) thrown into pasta sauces is really easy to boost veggie count. V8 and smoothies can be good additions to your diet for right now too - when you throw in a handful of strawberries to a smoothie, you taste that more than a bit of spinach or carrot.

I don't know how much you like cooking but veggie lasagna and vegetable soup have been easy ways for me to get everyone in my house eating more vegetables... the fiber is just so good for you :) Making black bean burgers and throwing in a carrot to the food processor when blending, throwing frozen (and thawed) spinach into regular burgers, finely dicing yellow squash and putting it into whole wheat mac and cheese, half mashed potatoes half mashed cauliflower blend... I've tried quite a few tricks. :)

I would love to get some of your reciepes. I'm sure some others on here wouldn't mind them as well since we are all picky eaters.
  • jfarnden
    Options
    This may sound like a terrible idea, but i started with veggies that i thought weren't too terrible (make a list if it helps), and then my friend started suggesting salads and stuff that had those in them and also something i didn't like with different dressings and other nice things. They made up a salad with lettuce, cucumber, onion, roasted beetroot and cherry tomato (tomato was seasoned with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper then roasted lightly) then added some haloumi cheese and a white balsamic dressing. Now i hate cucumber, im not keen on lettuce or beetroot or tomato, onion you can take it or leave it, but i really really love cheese. But this salad was actually nice, the kicker, he says "Now if you want me to serve you the bits of salad with the cheese in it you have to promise to eat the cucumber". It actually wasn't that bad with the dressing and with everything else.
    So my advice would be take something you like, put in a few things you dont mind and one thing you dont like. Season it all, then try and eat it. Half the time you dont notice the things you dont like that much (especially if you've put more nice things in by volume than icky things). The worst bit is, the more vegetables i eat, it seems the less i dont like them.
    I also put chicken with everything because in my books chicken is a good meat regardless of the dish. Nuts are good for snacks but dont eat too much, and remember theres also fruits. You can easily add slivers of apple to salads to change the taste or the veg, especially if its being partially cooked.

Also, you say you dont like fish but theres a lot of different fish out there. Like grilled salmon and canned flavored Tuna are miles apart taste wise. So try as many things as you can because you might find one you like.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Also if you like smoothies you can add spinach, kale and other green leafy vegetables to them. You get the benefit of the nutrients without actually tasting them as they are hidden in the smoothie.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Its really hard to imagine, with all the different varieties of veggies out there, that you don't like any of them. Maybe there are some you haven't tried that might actually taste really awesome. Like the fish theory - there are so many different types, tastes and textures that trying different ones you just might hit on one or two that you never thought you'd like. Or perhaps you have had veggies that were not prepared in a way that you liked. There are many different ways eat veggies starting with raw up to puree or as the other poster said, mixed in a smoothie.

You could google different ways to eat veggie for picky eaters and see where it takes it you. Food is an adventure and you could really learn to love some awesome healthy foods.

If you do find even a couple that you do like, just eat those. My favorite go to is a bag of frozen cauliflower (steamed to very soft but not mushy). Smashed with butter and pepper. I'm not going to lie and say they taste like mashed potatoes but they are delish and easy and take the place of mashed potatoes. You could even add a little cheese!
  • AmandaJW1981
    Options
    This may sound like a terrible idea, but i started with veggies that i thought weren't too terrible (make a list if it helps), and then my friend started suggesting salads and stuff that had those in them and also something i didn't like with different dressings and other nice things. They made up a salad with lettuce, cucumber, onion, roasted beetroot and cherry tomato (tomato was seasoned with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper then roasted lightly) then added some haloumi cheese and a white balsamic dressing. Now i hate cucumber, im not keen on lettuce or beetroot or tomato, onion you can take it or leave it, but i really really love cheese. But this salad was actually nice, the kicker, he says "Now if you want me to serve you the bits of salad with the cheese in it you have to promise to eat the cucumber". It actually wasn't that bad with the dressing and with everything else.
    So my advice would be take something you like, put in a few things you dont mind and one thing you dont like. Season it all, then try and eat it. Half the time you dont notice the things you dont like that much (especially if you've put more nice things in by volume than icky things). The worst bit is, the more vegetables i eat, it seems the less i dont like them.
    I also put chicken with everything because in my books chicken is a good meat regardless of the dish. Nuts are good for snacks but dont eat too much, and remember theres also fruits. You can easily add slivers of apple to salads to change the taste or the veg, especially if its being partially cooked.

Also, you say you dont like fish but theres a lot of different fish out there. Like grilled salmon and canned flavored Tuna are miles apart taste wise. So try as many things as you can because you might find one you like.

Great salad advice. I will give that a try and hopefully it works out.

As far as fish I dont like it because of the thought and the way it looks. I havent tried fish since I was a child and my parents made me eat it. Even then it made me sick. I take fish oil everyday so Im hoping that helps. Im a very visual person and if it looks gross im not going to try it. Thats why I dont eat any seafood at all.
  • AmandaJW1981
    Options
    Also if you like smoothies you can add spinach, kale and other green leafy vegetables to them. You get the benefit of the nutrients without actually tasting them as they are hidden in the smoothie.

awesome thanks
  • AmandaJW1981
    Options
    Its really hard to imagine, with all the different varieties of veggies out there, that you don't like any of them. Maybe there are some you haven't tried that might actually taste really awesome. Like the fish theory - there are so many different types, tastes and textures that trying different ones you just might hit on one or two that you never thought you'd like. Or perhaps you have had veggies that were not prepared in a way that you liked. There are many different ways eat veggies starting with raw up to puree or as the other poster said, mixed in a smoothie.

You could google different ways to eat veggie for picky eaters and see where it takes it you. Food is an adventure and you could really learn to love some awesome healthy foods.

If you do find even a couple that you do like, just eat those. My favorite go to is a bag of frozen cauliflower (steamed to very soft but not mushy). Smashed with butter and pepper. I'm not going to lie and say they taste like mashed potatoes but they are delish and easy and take the place of mashed potatoes. You could even add a little cheese!

I do like steamed cauliflower with spray butter and salt, raw carrots, and green beans with a chicken boulion cube cooked in them. Oh and I have grown to like cooked cabbage but it has to have a lot of salt in it which is bad for me. I dont know I just need more cause I feel like thats not enough.