is 1200 calories correct

Options
I have been calorie counting for a week. i have never counted calories before in my life. i set my activity to sedatory as although i have a 2 year old i only properly exercise twice per week. i am 5ft 2 and weight 157 pounds.

For the first 2 days i was hungry.... now i am sticking to 1200 or just below and am eating back a few exercise calories.

For a few days ive had tummy ache. achy body and today i felt nautious and faint.

Am i eating enough, or does my body need to go through the motions of a new way of life.

I do have an underactive thyroid for which i take thyroxine but my metabolism is definately whaked.

Replies

• adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 what MFP is giving you?

Are you "eating back" exercise calories?
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 what MFP is giving you?

Are you "eating back" exercise calories?

yes and and some exercise calories
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have been calorie counting for a week. i have never counted calories before in my life. i set my activity to sedatory as although i have a 2 year old i only properly exercise twice per week. i am 5ft 2 and weight 157 pounds.

For the first 2 days i was hungry.... now i am sticking to 1200 or just below and am eating back a few exercise calories.

For a few days ive had tummy ache. achy body and today i felt nautious and faint.

Am i eating enough, or does my body need to go through the motions of a new way of life.

I do have an underactive thyroid for which i take thyroxine but my metabolism is definately whaked.

I'm not a parent myself but I have a niece and nephew and would probably say if you have a 2 year old you are not sedentary. Also feeling nauseous and faint shouldn't be happening if you are eating enough to sustain your body.

Run your numbers through this and see what you get...
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

(There are other calculators but this is the only one I can think of right now)
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nausea and faintness are signs of low blood sugar. You are not eating enough.
  • aoede
    aoede Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eat back ALL your exercise calories!
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Maybe see a doctor. There are lots of reason for nausea and faintness other than your diet.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Maybe see a doctor. There are lots of reason for nausea and faintness other than your diet.

This
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, keep in mind that the 1200 given is baseline...meaning minimum you should eat. You will have to play with your numbers to find your sweet spot as everyone is different. I would also agree, if you have 2 year old then you are not sedentary. Keep in mind, the activity level that MFP asks you about does not take into account workouts....which is why they add the calories you burn working out onto the ones you are already allotted.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Sedentary should only be used if you literally sit in front of the TV all day.

Switch it to 'lightly active', change your weight loss goal to 1lb per week if it isn't that already, and eat back your exercise calories.
  • kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    feeling sickly and faint are you deffo not pregnant lol? x:smile:
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Go to doctor and get checked for low iron as I get that quite a lot and that is how I feel. I also have an underactive Thyroid, so could be a connection there somewhere.

MFP would have given you 1200 but I would suggest upping a bit especially if you are not feeling good. I started on 1200 and lost some but eventually stalled and was fed up feeling hungry so after asking for suggestions I was told to up my cals. I was a bit nevous I would put on but I upped to 1300 and then 1400 and kept losing. Sometimes I even go a bit over that and still lose. You have to find the magic number that suits you and I would suggest eating back most if not all of your exercise cals if you are going to stick at 1200.

Don't know if you have sinus problems as well but I was just suffering the same symptoms recently and thought it would be my iron again but turned out it was sinusitus. Just another suggestion just in case.

Hope you are feeling better soon :flowerforyou:
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    feeling sickly and faint are you deffo not pregnant lol? x:smile:

no definately not pregnant lol

although thats what the nausea feels like
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    Ive changed to lightly active and a pound per week and its given me 1310. Ill try that.

Thanks for the help everyone x
  • beaneymum
    Options
    Make sure you drink LOTS OF WATER and don't waste calories on simple carbs (white bread, white pasta, white rice) or sweet snacks. One choc digestive is 110kcals but eat 110kcals of lean protein (tuna or prawns) with a good wholegrain cracker or dark green leafy salad and you will be better sustained. I would happily eat half a pack of choc biscuits and bang that's my daily calorie intake done.

1200kcals is right for 2lb weightloss/week but you need to make sure you eat the right things. Most salad and vegetables are hardly calorific at all and you can eat more of those to boost your calorie intake.

Make sure your net calorie intake is 1200 per day.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon - based on the information you've provided your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is roughly 1450 calories per day [1]. BMR is the amount of calories your body would use if you were in a coma, to circulate blood, respirate, process toxins, etc. Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is probably somewhere between 1950 and 2200 [2]. TDEE is BMR plus activity.

Eating below your BMR is unhealthy for you and over time can cause you unpleasant, lasting damage. Based on the above information, 1200 calories per day is NOT enough for your daily requirements. Please consider increasing your intake to around 1700 calories per day, and stick with that for six weeks, and you should start seeing positive results.

Weight loss is not supposed to make you feel sick, tired, starving.

[1] http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    [2] http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    Ok. thanks. i will try that.

I must admit the spacey head does feel like when my thyroid was out last year but i onky had the meds increased in august last year to 175mgs so it cant be that x
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon - based on the information you've provided your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is roughly 1450 calories per day [1]. BMR is the amount of calories your body would use if you were in a coma, to circulate blood, respirate, process toxins, etc. Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is probably somewhere between 1950 and 2200 [2]. TDEE is BMR plus activity.

Eating below your BMR is unhealthy for you and over time can cause you unpleasant, lasting damage. Based on the above information, 1200 calories per day is NOT enough for your daily requirements. Please consider increasing your intake to around 1700 calories per day, and stick with that for six weeks, and you should start seeing positive results.

^ this and do see a doctor!
  • sharonmunday90
    Options

Eating below your BMR is unhealthy for you and over time can cause you unpleasant, lasting damage. Based on the above information, 1200 calories per day is NOT enough for your daily requirements. Please consider increasing your to around 1700 calories per day, and stick with that for six weeks, and you should start seeing positive results.

Thankyou. that seems likena huge amount but i will start today. i only want to lost a pound a week as this is a lifestyle xhange for me and not a diet.

I was beginning to think it wasntvworth it feeling like this and i need energy to keep up with a 2 year old

thankyou thankyou thankyou everyone xx

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Ok. thanks. i will try that.

I must admit the spacey head does feel like when my thyroid was out last year but i onky had the meds increased in august last year to 175mgs so it cant be that x

I started out - when I didn't know what I was doing - eating just right at my BMR. It was very unpleasant, and I feel fortunate that I didn't grow adapted to it.

Your thyroid issues may complicate your path here, so my calculations may need tweaking. After six weeks, you will want to evaluate your weight change, how you feel physically, and your measurement change (definitely take your measurements!). Add or subtract a hundred calories accordingly.

Eventually you will narrow in on what's perfect for you. Go kill it!!!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The sad reality of weight loss is that the smaller you are, both in terms of height and weight, the harder it is to lose weight. Make sure to eat over your BMR, like emanyalpsid said. You might lose less quickly, but you will feel better and be healthier at the end of it.