Anyone run a 5k at my size? 5'8 230 lbs.

Options
I signed up for my first 5k and it is 9 weeks from now. I have been exercising for a month now and feel like I can handle it. I was just wondering if anyone had started running at my size and how it did on their joints? What training program you used? and were you successful at it? I want to run this 5k but also don't want to push myself too hard and end up hurting myself, if I have to I'll walk it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    my running partner is 5'8, and we completed a half marathon (successfully) together when he was 240# (down from 280). He runs in New Balance Minimus shoes, and is super careful about his knees (genetic issues) and impacts. He chose his shoes so that he wouldn't be encouraged to heel strike (the bad impact on your body), but would start with good form. Stop by a running shoe store and get fitted for shoes to make sure you don't pronate, they can also give you pointers on form (or look up Good Form Running and watch the videos).

We started with a couch to 5k program (google it, there's tons of free plans), most have options based on time or on distance. 9 weeks is plenty of time - don't forget you CAN walk part of the race (or the whole race), there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. World class marathon runners often incorporate walking into their races.

You can do this. Be careful. Start slow. Keep going.

You are awesome!
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was 5'10 and about 235 for my first official timed 5k. I used the couch to 5k training app, I think mine was 10 weeks but you could probably skip week one easily enough since it sounds like you're already pretty fit. I say go for it! My first was back in September and I've done several others and am now doing a 10k, 15k, and half marathon this spring, and I never thought I'd be a runner!
  • berkra
    berkra Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking in between
    Read Jeff Galloway
    Good that you signed up, this goal will help you to get out
    One thing I did before my first half marathon? I signed up for my second one

Do that, do not find an excuse to never do it again

:-) pulling for you
  • shannypoo21
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and was 228 when I started running. I definitely think it's more than doable at your current weight. The couch to 5k program to me is the best training program a beginner can use. Good luck to you on this journey and on your race!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and started running at 247 pounds. I got myself a real good pair of running shoes and completed the Couch to 5K (C25K) training program. A month after I completed the 9 week program I ran my first 5K. I ran the first 2.5 miles then peetered out and walked a tad, then ran towards the finish. I was very slow but I did it!! No problems except for shin splints the first week. You can definitely do it.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Watch the Biggest Loser...episode 3 I think. They all ran a 5k.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first 5k and it is 9 weeks from now. I have been exercising for a month now and feel like I can handle it. I was just wondering if anyone had started running at my size and how it did on their joints? What training program you used? and were you successful at it? I want to run this 5k but also don't want to push myself too hard and end up hurting myself, if I have to I'll walk it. Any advice would be appreciated!

1st time I did the Couch to 5K (C25K) program I was about 250lbs (at 5'5") and got all the way through week 9. I was running 30 min straight. So it is conceiveable that you CAN run that 5k in 9 weeks!

I highly recommend C25K, or a similar trainer like Runkeeper which is what my husband uses. Both of these and others like them are trainers to get you running by doing intervals of jogging and walking.

Best possible advice I can give you, do NOT be concerned with speed. If you feel short of breath, slow down. If you get a stitch in your side, you are probably going too fast, slow down.

Speed will come later, just let your body learn how to run/jog and slowly build stamina for distance.

You CAN do that 5k!!!
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I ran my first at about 200, but I'm only 5'6. I finished easily and came in at 35:59. Not bad for a fat n00b.
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k out of that i did 2.5 mile last July at close to 290 lbs and I am 5'7. Understand I did walk and run. (it was also a mud run.) I am still doing running but not a 5k. Do a couch to 5k program cause I have nothing but good thinks about them. Best of luck to you.:happy:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I started c25k at 300 or so pounds. The training is intended to be 9 weeks so you have time, I took a little longer. I ran my first 5k race in early December, another Jan 19th. Last week I jogged 10k for the first time! Yay me! (It wasn't an official race event, just on my own.) I plan to do a 10k race sometime this spring and my goal is to do a by 15k next fall.
    Just take it slow, you'll be fine! Good luck.

Oh, I jog 20+ miles a week, 3-4 miles at a time and I am 268 lbs. (5'7)
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'8" and started running at about 230 lbs using c25k as well. No problems and no regrets-- you can do it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I coached a woman that was about 325 when we started and is pretty much the same height as I am (5'5") and she ran a 5K at the end of the training program with only two short walking breaks. Was it a super fast pace? No, but she ran all but maybe a total of a quarter of a mile of it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm still training (Zen Labs C25K free app), but I was surprised that it didn't hurt my knees. I was scared to run hills, so the first few times I stayed on flatter surfaces, but I realized I won't master them if I don't do them. The only time I had a problem was the first time I ran up a steep hill. I felt like someone was stabbing me in the knees. The next time I did it I felt fine. Good luck! I hope we see a post in the success stories that you completed a 5K!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You can do it just remember to stretch and have good pair of shoes.
  • ktw102085
    Options
    I'm 5'1, weight 250lbs. You can do. I'm signed up for a triathlon in June. Do it, you got this!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I did one at ~250lbs and another at ~260lbs (gained weight). I'm 5'6". I walked through parts but shuffled through most of it. It's definitely doable and a good goal to work toward.
  • mrsoski
    mrsoski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yep. Did my first 5k at 220, now have completed many running events and am training for my second half marathon. Like everyone said, go slow, get good shoes, there's no shame in walking. as I like to say, I may be slow but I'm faster than the old me. You got this!!!
  • ksantist13
    ksantist13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did two 5Ks around that weight, and I never in my life thought I would ever run one. I had never been a runner. EVER. I surprised myself, as well as my family and friends! I did walk a little bit during the races, and it took me a lot longer to finish than my friend, but I FINISHED! And felt so proud of myself! And you will too! :)
  • EmilyS10
    EmilyS10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to try the couch to 5k program for treadmill. I definitely think I need to invest in better shoes like some of you have mentioned. It's really inspiring to know that other people have done this. My gym owner actually told me he'd prefer me not to run it because he doesn't want me to get hurt but I just couldn't accept that because I knew that there had to be plenty of people on here that are my size who have done this!