Arms Lacking

Options
I want to get this out of the way. I have been doing the heavy compound lifts for a year plus now (Squat: 325 , Bench: 285, Chins +80, Dips +120, Deadlift: 435, OHP: 185). The problem is my arms have remained pretty small and undefined. I see a lot more muscle definition on my chest, legs and back but none on my shoulders and arms. Does anyone have recommendations to add size to my arms and shoulders.

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Have you tried some isolation work on them?

That'd be the first thing to try - your body is obviously pretty well 'balanced' for the exercise you do, so if you want to step away from that, you'll have to train them separately.

*cue massive argument about which isolation excercises are best*

I'd try;
    Hammer curls
    Concentration curls

Overhead dumbell press
    skull crushers

Remember - as with anything else, lift heavy. Get the form right with light weights, feel the weight hitting the right muscle and then go for it.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Do the Sick Arms workout in addition to your compound lifts:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/6-weeks-to-sick-arms.html

Awesome progress, btw.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, maybe you need to bulk (add more calories). If you are at a caloric deficit, you aren't going to gain muscle mass.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on the frequency of isolation exercises? Also I have been cycling calories so many days I'm on a surplus and have been seeing size gains in other areas. I would like to keep doing this as I can stay a little leaner but if it is something that will inhibit size I might have to switch to straight bulk.