Supposed 'healthy' foods that are loaded with sugar/salt?

Options
13»

Replies

• jaybird90
    Options
    I would be really grateful to anyone who could fill out this questionnaire for me & help me with my dissertation! the questionnaire is about consumer use & opinions of nutrition labels, and health & nutrition claims made on food products.

thank you!!

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/1162995/Consumer-Behaviour-br-Nutrition-Labels-and-Nutrition-amp-Health-Claims-on-Food-Products
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    Most things the manufacturer must label healthy is some horrendously unhealthy to begin with that making it lite will do nothing. Real unprocessed foods, for most part, do not need those labels.

Things that have healthy reputation but are not at all are things like cranola and bran muffins. And like a pp suggested anything with a cartoon character on it! Or Have you ever looked at the sugar in organic Stonyfield products?? I now skip anything by them. Ridiculous! Or how about things that say made with whole grain or from real fruit? Usually sugar coated cereal or jam filled cookie or cracker. I guess I could take a spec of spinach and stick it to a sinckers bar before deepfrying it can call it healthy....

Is the survey for folk in the UK only?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Sugar and salt are not unhealthy as part of a balanced diet.
    This.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options
    Your just confusing processed diet food with whole food.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    slim fast and special k protein shakes. most yogurts, that damn granola lol
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This.

Yup. Also, there's a difference between natural sugar (ie. fruit) and added sugar. That's why, as others mentioned, reading the ingredients is key.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    There is an entire Food Sciences Industry that exists for no other reason than to chemically engineer flavors and tastes and textures that are the most appealing to we humans. Their clients are big and small food manufacturers all over the world. These manufacturers buy these recipes and incorporate them into their products.

And guess what? These recipes are incredibly tasty!!

But, you know what else? These foods may end up killing us and our brothers and our sisters, etc. Food is big business. Manufacturers aren't concerned about our health and well being. That's what Big Pharma is for. Let them create and sell the drugs needed to survive the chemically engineered foods we are consuming. They are more than happy to help us with our processed and unhealthy food addictions.

As a general rule, I try to eat only those foods that exist in nature in their raw form. That means no boxes or cans, and very few sealed bags.

I am not perfect in eliminating it all from my diet. I am trying. It's just plain hard sometimes. But everyday I get a little closer to eliminating more and more unhealthy choices from my diet. So far there are quite a lot of things that will never touch my lips again. I don't know if I'll live any longer for getting rid of them. I sure hope so. But the peace of mind I have for trying is everything to me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^ This...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^ This...

This x10000000!!
  • fkwilhelm
    fkwilhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    it is easy for me to say this because I enjoy cooking, but as a rule of thumb: Do not buy anything with more than 5 ingredients (if you are in North America, this may be tough - I remember even cottage cheese having a substantial ingredient list).