Is my diet ok?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have been off and on again with MFP and now with the new year I have another sense of motivation to get fit.

a bit about me, i weigh 75kg / 165 lbs and I am 174cm tall / 5'7. I am about to turn 29.
I was down to 70kg / 154lbs last August after a 3 month trip around Europe but after last November with my wedding then Christmas then new years (excuses excuses) i have gained some weight.

I am largely intolerant to Gluten and dairy, i am to a lesser extent intolerant to garlic, apples and oranges and i am allergic to almonds.

my daily food intake goes like this

B'fast
freedom foods muesli bar

lunch
1 95gm tin john west chilli tuna
1/2 avocado
1 raw tomato
4 thin rice cakes
or sometimes 2 rolls cooked tuna sushi

snack
sesame snaps 10g
or nectarine
or banana

dinner ( i have several recipes i switch between as below)
1 serve Thai green curry with greens and Quinoa
1 Moroccan lamb shank with white rice (this is good because i use a slow cooker and its ready when i get home)
4 corn taco's with diced lean beef, salsa and salad
roast pork with potatoes and steam vegies
roast lamb with potatoes and steam vegies
sliced beef steak with salad
steak and vegies
home made pizza with thin GF base, tomato paste, roast chicken, capsicum, mushrooms and small amount of goat cheese

As of next week (when i finish my muelsi bars) I am planning on pre cooking and freezing small amounts of scrambled eggs (with soy milk and no cheese) with salmon for my break fasts. how large a serve should I have each day?

In the winter i generally have a chicken and corn Lazuppa soup for lunch

I drink about 2 litres of water a day and have just weaned off 1 coffee a day to maybe 1 a week for a treat.
I am doing Feb Fast which is a 28 day alcohol free challenge as before I was drinking every weekend

I have also just started group circuit training ever Tuesday and Wednesday nights and a pole class on a Thursday, I walk / jog 5.5km to work on a Monday but haven't been able to push myself to do that much more yet.

I would ideally like to weigh 65kg but I haven't been that since I was 19 so I am not sure if i can, i would be happy with at least under 70kg and to stay there.

Any help / tips / suggestions would be very welcome ;)

Thanks

Tan

edit ** forgot to mention i have a 9-5 desk job.

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You will need to make your diary public to receive constructive advice :smile:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The food sounds great, how many calories per day is this? Some of the stuff seems really low calorie, but your dinners may balance it out.
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    The food sounds great, how many calories per day is this? Some of the stuff seems really low calorie, but your dinners may balance it out.

I am usually about 1200-1300 a day depends on what I have for dinner, If I am hungry I would eat a bit more but I am not generally hungry.
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    I havent been filling it in properly yet as I am only just getting back on track so I doubt it would give you any more information than above but I will have a look how I make it public
  • sandradev1
    Options
    If you haven't been filling it in properly yet, then you really have no idea how many calories you are eating.

Start logging everything and be honest with yourself.
    Keep your calories at a minimum of 1200 cals NET and I would suggest that you find out your BMR using the calculator under the APP tab on here and try to really eat above that level NET.

I believe that, unless you have any medical condition, no food is forbidden. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. You need to eat foods that you know you can eat for the rest of your life. You will discover that if you gradually change (if necessary) to healthier choices you usually have more food to eat for your calories and you also start to feel good.

This should not be a quick fix, relax and take your time and just keep moving forwards and you will reach your goal. This certainly doesn't need to be about depriving ourselves and being hungry, irritable and unhappy. This can be a very happy, healthy and confidence building experience.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty damn good to me :) I usually have 2 scrambled eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast too, its good for filling up on.
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    Personally I think you aren't eating enough -- the few days I looked at you were only around 1000 cals. Course w/regular logging that might even out -- I'm a big fan of zigzagging calories. One thing I found that helped me was upping my daily fiber level. Maybe add that to your nutrition info and work on getting at least 25grams a day (I'm usually in the 40+ range)..
  • Michelle_Beckley
    Options
    Hi Tan!

I think it would be a good idea to log a few of your favourite things into MFP so you can get an idea of the calories and work meals/snacks around that.

I don't like the idea of the muesli bar for breakfast and it's probably quite high in calories? Eggs are a much better option and will keep you full for longer. Two eggs would probably be good, but if you wanted to have something else with it you may prefer one. For example, I usually have two boiled eggs on one piece of toast but if I want to mix it up I may only have one egg with some bacon and the toast or the two eggs with spinach/bacon/tomato and no bread.

Everything else sounds pretty good, I would aim for about 250-300 cals for main meals and 100-150 cals for snacks.

Hope this helps :)
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will def start having two scrambled eggs and some salmon for breakfast and i will try and incorporate at least one piece of fruit as a snack each day.

I know my calories look low but I am not hungry.

My BMI is 24.2
  • sandradev1
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will def start having two scrambled eggs and some salmon for breakfast and i will try and incorporate at least one piece of fruit as a snack each day.

I know my calories look low but I am not hungry.

My BMI is 24.2

Just a point. If you are here to lose weight that you put on in the past.................did you listen to your body for it to tell you that you were full???? I can tell you that it badly let you down, as did mine & everybody else's body did.

Do not let your body rule your health........that is why you have a brain!!! Work out how many calories you should be eating for a healthy weight loss by checking out the forums on this website AND doing your own research. This is your responsibility. Then EAT THE CALORIES because that is the amount your body needs to remain healthy even though your body may not recognise that.

Eat correctly, log everything, move more & in particular strength training and get enough sleep and you WILL be successful.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    HI Sandra,

Thanks for your reply, I do overeat at dinner sometimes when i make something really yummy and i know i need to stop this.

I have cut out alcohol for the month of February and started a pretty good exercise regime so hopefully this along with being more aware of how much i eat will help me shed the kilos.