Lady Push-ups

Options
Are Lady style push-ups worth doing??? I am 68 yrs old my son recommended them--
so that I can get stronger-- Can I do push-ups off of a counter or should I stay on my knees
I cannot do a mans push-up.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Modified or incline pushups. Are they difficult? They should be the ones you are doing, and eventually progress into a standard pushup.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Push-ups on your knees with good form will do you more good than standard push-ups with bad form.
  • carol175
    carol175 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can do push-ups on my knees- but very few. I do more off of the counter, and thought that my core and arms might get stronger
    quicker if I was doing more push-ups over very few push-ups on my knees. I can do 6 sets of 12 off of the counter.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do both. From your knees and off the counter. Variety is good. If you get to the point you can do regular (even if it's only 2) cycle those in.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When the counter feels too easy try using a bench, or the couch, or anything at that level, eventually work your way down to the floor.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I have to do push ups on my knees. On my feet hurts my back. I think they're just as effective. I know my arms are burning when I'm done!
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you keep a strong core and a straight line from knees to head, on your knees or counter or where ever should be just fine. As long as you are feeling it in your arms and core, you're doing well!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes you should do push-ups either on an incline or with your knees on the floor (or both) to begin with if you can't yet do a full push-up. As the strength in your arms and core improve, you should be able to start to do full push-ups. But work up gradually, i.e. make the push-ups a little bit more difficult (e.g. with your knees further back or a lower incline) as you're able to do more of them.

Also, doing planks can help as it's not just about arm strength, but about core strength. Start with knees on the floor planks and work up, same as with push-ups.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    yes you should do push-ups either on an incline or with your knees on the floor (or both) to begin with if you can't yet do a full push-up. As the strength in your arms and core improve, you should be able to start to do full push-ups. But work up gradually, i.e. make the push-ups a little bit more difficult (e.g. with your knees further back or a lower incline) as you're able to do more of them.

Also, doing planks can help as it's not just about arm strength, but about core strength. Start with knees on the floor planks and work up, same as with push-ups.
    This! Pushups work a lot of different muscles and will do good for your strength!
  • Arakazi
    Arakazi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Knee push ups are great!
  • stephsmithmagee
    stephsmithmagee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, just take it easy and do what you can doing 'something' is better than doing 'nothing'. You can do push ups on the floor or against a surface like a wall, the main thing is to be safe and listen to what you body tells you is Ok, we are all different and you may loose motivation or injure yourself if you try to do too much too soon. As you get stronger it will become easier and you can progress to more difficult exercises. Have fun :-) x