HRM help?

Options
I am interested in getting a HRM. I am curious which kind everyone recommends? I would like to spend around $50. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have been shopping around but not sure what to buy.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitors.com/polar-ft4f-purple.html?productid=polar-ft4f-purple&channelid=FROOG

This is the one I'm going to order on Friday. I've always wanted a Polar, and now I can finally afford one! This is the cheapest I've ever seen a polar FT4. At ****'s sporting goods, they are $89.99. Many of my friends have this exact one and LOVE it! I had a SportLine that I bought from Walmart for around $55 and it lasted almost two years before crapping out on me. Make sure you get one with a chest strap, they are way more accurate for calorie burn. Good luck!:happy:
  • abra526
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe the scensors bleeped out the word D i c k 's sporting goods! lol
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm going to piggy back onto this one. I bought a HRM over a year ago. My first one was a watch HRM. HATED IT!!! It was so inconsistent, I might as well have just taken my pulse and done it myself. Then I went to a Polar F4 with a chest strap and was very happy with the product. Any HRM that you buy, i would certainly stear you torwards one with a chest strap. It will give you the most accurate readings. Also, you will want one that is coded so you are not picking up other people's HRM around you. Cost will be some where around 50-75 bucks.

NOW.....my current issue with my Polar F4, is that the batteries have run low. I have tried to find new ones, but no stores carry the batteries i need. I could send it off, but im not doing that. I want something i can go to the store and get replacement parts. (batteries) So what I'm going to ask to the rest of the MFP family is this....... What type of HRM is out there, that people have used, that they love, that you can go to the store and get replacement batteries for?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good one. Lots of members like the Polar brand. I purchased the Polar FT7 a week ago and it is fantastic. Stores your workouts, gves you a fat burn reading and a fitness ready and of course tracks your calories being burnt.

Definitely do some homework, I did a search on here for Polar FT7 and on the net. Was very beneficial.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is the best place to look. They have good prices and special deals.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/heramo.html

I have a preference for Polar HRMs I bought my first one more than 20 years ago. The FT1 and
    FT2 are in your price range but lack features. The chest strap works with many pieces of cardio equipment at the gym

I am not working or advertising for this company. Just an impressed and satisfied customer
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    NOW.....my current issue with my Polar F4, is that the batteries have run low. I have tried to find new ones, but no stores carry the batteries i need. I could send it off, but im not doing that. I want something i can go to the store and get replacement parts. (batteries) So what I'm going to ask to the rest of the MFP family is this....... What type of HRM is out there, that people have used, that they love, that you can go to the store and get replacement batteries for?

I bought the replacement batteries for my Polar from Polar mail order off their site. I could have gotten them at our local electronics store but from Polar it comes with the rubber sealing gasket. Any good electronics store should be able to cross reference the battery numbers.
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    This is the best place to look. They have good prices and special deals.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/heramo.html

I have a preference for Polar HRMs I bought my first one more than 20 years ago. The FT1 and
    FT2 are in your price range but lack features. The chest strap works with many pieces of cardio equipment at the gym

I am not working or advertising for this company. Just an impressed and satisfied customer

Oh, Im sure my HRM goes off on all the treadmills in the cardio room at the gym haha!
  • cbungard1
    Options
    Would it be worth buying a HRM now and buying a chest strap later since it is like a additional $40?
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    Would it be worth buying a HRM now and buying a chest strap later since it is like a additional $40?

I would buy the chest strap....It monitors your hear rate and you will be able to get a fairly accurate reading.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. I purchased it for around $100 (it was regular almost $200) back in July 2012. I absolutely love it! It is great as it stores your workouts, shows you everything... it is an amazing tool!

I second the advice about finding one with a chest strap. The watch only ones are terrible and very innaccurate as they only read your HR when you put your finger on the button... meaning it doesn't get a real reading consistantly and bases your calorie burn on the most recent reading. I find the chest strap doesn't get in the way.

Also, ensure you get one that allows you to enter your age, sex, weight and height for the most accurate burn amounts. If you workout in the gym make sure it's coded so it doesn't pick up other peoples HRM.

I personally wouldn't go for TImex or Sportline HRMs.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I would buy the chest strap....It monitors your hear rate and you will be able to get a fairly accurate reading.

I don't believe all are compatible with a chest strap. The soley watch ones only take the reading when you press the button and you can't always just add a chest strap later one.

I would wait to buy one until you can afford one that is of good quality and comes with a chest strap. I personally would think it's a waste of money to buy one now, but buy the strap later when the watch only one will not be accurate. A sportline one from say walmart may be $40 but in my opinion is a piece of junk.

Just a tip, only use it when you are doing a higher intensity exercise. They are not made to be used all day and are not accurate when used at lower intensities.
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Polar FT60 (purple) for $129.99 on Amazon and I really like it! It comes with a chest strap, watch and transmitter that you plug into the chest strap.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Without the chest strap, it's not a HRM, as no way to monitor the HR.

Those deals are for when you already have a HRM strap, and only want a receiver unit that does more.
  • ashleighlive
    ashleighlive Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part with all other posters!
    I have the Polar FT60.
    Polar HRMs up to and including the FT60 model are a great entry level product.
    For the money you want to spend I agree go with a polar.

But some cons:
    I pick up other people beside in the gym's transmission from their chest strap;
    They are waterproof, I wash mine daily, but I have heard they are not good for swimming;
    They do drop out infrequently.

Note: You MUST wet the sensors before each work out so it picks up your HR straight away!
    Ensure the model you choose tracks calories burnt!

Personally my next one will be a Garmin, not that I necessarily need the GPS functionability, they are a reliable, high tech watch and I love the applications and online programs/ support. I realise Garmin's base models are well above what you're willing to spend but just for anyone else reading!
  • abra526
    Options
    Most, if not all, HRM have to have the battery replaced by a jeweler. My jeweler doesn't charge any extra, and he says by no means should you attempt to do it yourself. It is not the same as a regular watch. The chest strap I could always change myself, though.
  • heybales
    Options
    If it's for the purpose of getting calorie burn estimates, and I'm guessing that is, then the cheaper Polar's will badly underestimate if you are overweight, but decently fit after about a month.

So if you can lose the weight in a month and be at healthy BMI, get a cheaper Polar.

Otherwise, you'll need the Polars that have a VO2max stat for you, and self-test for it.

FT60 was mentioned, that is one, RS300X is one.

You can forget the cheaper FT4 and FT7. They have the calories burns thrown in there to appease the masses and sell more HRM's. But badly inaccurate depending on how bad your BMI is.

For those that want to challenge that assertion, please test yourself and state what your HRM came up with, and what the more accurate formula came up with.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • abra526
    Options
    Also, the link I posted above that is for teh Polar FT4, is 64.99, free shipping, and this includes the chest strap.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I'm really happy with it. The FT4 is almost the same, and is cheaper. Sears has the women's one (smaller wrist band) on sale for $44.99

http://www.sears.com/polar-ft4-female-fitness-computer/p-00614450000P?prdNo=18&blockNo=18&blockType=G18
  • heybales
    Options

Same problem - Home Depot actually had both correct sizes for the strap and watch units. Single battery sizes by Energizer, not the no-name brand from Walmart. I hate buying 2 and losing track by the time I need it.