Bad Knee

rkascak
rkascak Posts: 224 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I had surgery on my knee about 3 years ago. It is usually fine when I work out, i usually go on the treadmill, but since it has been nice i have been walking outside. But usually its when I lay in bed when my knee is killing me! :frown: does anyone know any precautions on how to help keep the pressure off my knee?

P.S I am doing a 5k for mothers day, so doing the elliptical isnt something that I am going to be doing even tho I know that takes pressure off of the knees

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    If you lie on your back, try putting a pillow under your legs. If on your side, put the pillow between your legs.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    If you really are in substantial pain, I would get to a doctor. Without an examination or background, people on the boards would only be guessing at solutions which doesn't help you at all. Good luck hope you feel better.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I injured my knee in college (not bad enough for surgery, but I wasn't allowed to stress it in any way for 9 months to let it heal) and every once in a while it acts up. Seems to be when it's really humid out... gotta love southern TX lol. Anyway, I usually take ibuprofen or some other pain killer for muscle ache/inflamation at least 30 mins before I work out. When I'm done, I'll then ice it to also help lower any swelling/inflamation that might have happened while working out. When I go to bed I use the heating pad for about 30 mins to massage it. Usually works for me.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I've had knee surgery myself, and I'm surprised it hasn't started acting up since I've been running outside.
    I have a knee brace ready in case I feel a tightness in my knee. Also, I like to use ice or heat depending on how my knee feels. I also make sure my muscles are really well stretched out after a workout.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Ice it! Even if you feel like you didn't work it that hard or walk that far - always elevate it and ice it when you're done.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    You need to see your surgeon...even though you want to be able to run, this may not be good for you and may result in damage that cannot be repaired later....is a 5K today worth crippling arthritis tomorrow...and for the rest of your life? Just see a Dr to make sure it is ok.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    I'm 43 and obese - my doctor told me that when I start jogging my knees will take a beating. She suggested (in addition to starting slowly, getting good running shoes fit by an expert etc...) that I ice my knees after every walk/run regardless of how they feel, for at least 15 minutes. And to use anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen...

I know it's not the same thing - but I thought the ice before it hurts part might help? My doctor is a runner.

My knees hurt if when I sleep on my back if I don't keep them flexed using a pillow. For this reason I tend to start on my back but sleep on my side with my knees bent.
  • try working out in the pool. it burns a ton of calories and is low impact
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Thanks for the advice. My knee hasnt hurt in a while, just wanted to have some advice just incase it does.
This discussion has been closed.