Unsupportive Members!

Options
MFPers were not all very nice, when I asked them for advice on how to wake up early for exercise (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819446-how-do-you-wake-up-early-for-exercise)

I've never been a morning person but the vigorous nighttime work-out got my blood pumping just before bed, making it harder to sleep and making the cycle worse and worse.

People said unhelpful things, sarcastic things, blunt things. "As soon as the alarm goes off, I jump out of bed and start beating myself in the chest while screaming ,'IT'S GO TIME, LET'S DO THIS!!' My children need therapy, but at least I get my workout in."
"I just decide to do something and then I do what it takes to, you know, actually do it. The tips and tricks people are offering you only work for people that have already decided to do what they said they were going to do. [...] Man up. If you really want to get up and work out, then get up and do it."
"throw the blankets off you as if they personally insulted you
"

The consensus was "Just Do It." Not very helpful?

Nah, they were right. It wasn't flattering to be told to man up, but I took the advice that I asked for. I've been waking up at 5:00am every day for the last three weeks.

"Support" isn't necessarily enabling, commiserating, pity, or sympathy. Hell, I don't even know if support requires that people be nice. In this case, people supported me by telling me that the only way to get what I wanted was to damn do it.

So, for some people, being supportive is saying "man up." It's saying "grow up."

And so let me be supportive, to the people who are upset about this community, or offended by advice, report as abuse the bona fide good faith help they receive, or think they should be high-fived for their problems: you will no longer be upset if you man up. and grow up.

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    tough love works.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Greatest. Post. Ever.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes!!!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    ;;starts slow clap;;
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You really hurt my feelings just now. How dare you share your opinion.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I read the first few pages of the thread and honestly didn't see anything mean or unsupportive. People said they just got up and did it. Others told you about setting certain songs for alarms.

Loosen up a bit.

ETA: even the quotes you posted aren't mean or really sarcastic.

ETA again as someone pointed out: Ahhh i read too quickly sometimes. I was also expecting another sort of post--there's another one going around right now. Totally my bad!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I personally like this message board better the Weight Watcher message board BECAUSE of the sarcastic remarks.

It's never dull here.

95% of the time, they are funny and entertaining. The other 5% sometimes make me cringe, and just glad that I'm not the one that said it.

It's all fun.
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    Good for you for just doing it! I don't think those words were so harsh personally.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    yep. Apparently the best way to find motivation is to fake it, until it finds you. Even succesfully people have to do that apparently.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    "I love HCG! I've lost 10 lbs in two days, and am hoping to get down to my goal weight of 7 lbs 3 oz."
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I read the first few pages of the thread and honestly didn't see anything mean or unsupportive. People said they just got up and did it. Others told you about setting certain songs for alarms.

Loosen up a bit.

ETA: even the quotes you posted aren't mean or really sarcastic.

Edit it again after you finish reading the post.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I opened this expecting another QQ thread. Thanks for backhanding me with the unexpected. Excellent post, and it's good to see that some people do man up and start doing what they have to do to improve themselves.

Now, if we can just get the others to somehow figure out how to use their internet tears as fuel for their workouts, they too can get there.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Good show sir!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    tough love works.

<~~ needs tough love from Cranky
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, that post didn't go where I thought it was going to go.

Yeah, sometimes we don't like the advice we're offered. It sounds hard, it seems against our own nature. But really...if the easy stuff were working we wouldn't be asking for advice, right?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    See! I knew there would be another post soon about the sometimes shallow waters of MFP and the sanctimonious big mean bully sharks how circle looking for prey to attack and bite the heads off of even innocent posts. Jeesh...why do I always gotta be right.

Well f' me running but I still think my original thought sticks. So did you get up earlier?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The crowd erupts in applause...well at least all of us unsupportive *kitten*. :drinker:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    "I love HCG! I've lost 10 lbs in two days, and am hoping to get down to my goal weight of 7 lbs 3 oz."

:laugh: