Greek yogurt vs others

Options

Replies

• nyclove81
    nyclove81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Greek yogurt, but I am going to. I have always been curious to how different the taste is from regular yogurt. By reading some of the post on here, I am thinking that I will start with CHOBANI. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    try Fage, its the best one I've found
    This or Chobani anything other than those are not tasty to me! You can buy plain and add a bit of honey or whatever fruit you'd like, or some granola for some crunch. Saves on the sugar some have in them (oh, well not so much those two brands).

It is possible you might be someone it simply doesn't appeal too.:wink: I think those that love it, love it and those that don't...well prefer regular yogurt that's sweeter. I prefer the consistency of Greek Yogurt but it is in a category of it's own.:love:
    I've never tried Greek yogurt, but I am going to. I have always been curious to how different the taste is from regular yogurt. By reading some of the post on here, I am thinking that I will start with CHOBANI. :)
    To me it's more the consistency that's different, it's much thicker than regular. They whey has been removed so it's much higher in protein. You can make you own Greek by draining a container of regular yogurt through a sieve...MUCH cheaper if you're into regular yogurt brands but want it thicker. :drinker:
    Aldi's
    No Aldi's here:sad: But we do have a sibling of Aldi's, Trader Joe's but yea, it's not same, but still love my TJ's!:love:
    I make my own yogurt. It's easy, cheap, and delicious. You can make it from any culture you like and it is tastier and fresher than anything you can buy in a store. I mix with walnuts, cinnamon, flax seed, and fresh fruit (berries are best) and eat instead of breakfast cereal. I used to be starving by 10:30 but now am fine until lunch.
    THIS! So this! Cheaper, far tastier, oh did I mention cheaper? :tongue: Yea and one can add anything you'd like and make it exactly how you'd like it to be! Love to hear others make their own, once you do you rarely go back to buying the small containers.:wink:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like oikos and Yoplait
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I JUST tried Danon Oikos 0% fruit on the bottom peach greek yogurt for breakfast this morning, and I liked it! I didn't think I liked greek yogurt either because I'd tasted some nasty Yoplait version that left a chalky taste in my mouth. I think everyone's palate is different, so you may have to try different varieties before you make the final call.
  • Denise_Brink
    Denise_Brink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the Aldi brand. They are really good and my absolute favorite... not to mention CHEAP!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan myself. I get it might be a better choice but there's only one yogurt (non-greek) I really enjoy and I'll stick to it.
    I agree totally and would like to add for the cost and extra protien, I choose to eat real protien and keep my old yougart. And I tried all different kinds and my favorite of the greek yogurts I did try was Chobani Pineapple and the strawberry flavors 2nd.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Try the Aldi brand. They are really good and my absolute favorite... not to mention CHEAP!
    I did not know Aldi had one too. Maybe I will try this one. I was just not impressed and I was no fuller with the greek yogurt like many claim to be.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I make my own yogurt. It's easy, cheap, and delicious. You can make it from any culture you like and it is tastier and fresher than anything you can buy in a store. I mix with walnuts, cinnamon, flax seed, and fresh fruit (berries are best) and eat instead of breakfast cereal. I used to be starving by 10:30 but now am fine until lunch.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Chobani apple isn't so bad! Best tasting (tastes like regular) Greek I've found is Yoplait Greek Vanilla (NOT honey vanilla). It's hard to find and fairly new. 100 cals and worth a try! I do love plain Greek as a sour cream sub & for overnight oats and homemade Fro-yo :)
  • teine79
    teine79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Chobani, Oikos and Fage are my favs...
  • taahine01
    taahine01 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I will have to try fage since most of you are raving about it -- has ANYONE tried "GREEK GODS GREEK YOGURT" -- the honey one.........MY OH MY this greek yogurt WAS DELICIOUS!!!!

My most favorite by far!!!!! It is a "MUST TRY"!!!!
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    I like Oikos plain greek yogurt. Mmm.
    I've added frozen blueberries to it and it is good too. But with/without I enjoy. lol
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've tried almost every greek yogurt, lol. I started with the flavored kinds, because I couldn't stand the taste of the plain, but as time went on, and I wanted to cut my sugars/carbs down, I slowly made myself eat the plain. Now, it tastes pretty good! You kind of have to acquire your tastebuds to it. I now eat the Fage 0% or 2%, though I think 2% tastes better, have not tried the full fat. I also like stonyfield organic oikos, that one is not as thick as some of the others as well. and if you have a whole foods, they might have wallaby, that is thinner also. I tried trader joe's brand, but that one was really thick, i did not like it. I could go on and on. one last thing, I do not buy the dannon/yoplait brands because they are imitation greek yogurts... they have added thickeners. http://www.foodrenegade.com/decoding-labels-yoplait-greek-yogurt/
  • lolwutshannon
    Options
    I couldn't stand the taste or texture when I first tried it. I tried a few brands and now I'm addicted to Chobani! usually for breakfast I'll have a raspberry chobani, and add granola to it! It's delicious :)
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you want thick yogurt, Siggi's is pretty good. But it's not Greek style -- it's Icelandic style.

Yes..this. I just tried the orange ginger for the first time. YUM YUM..and only 9 grams of sugar (Pretty good for yogurt without all the artificial sweeteners.)
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't eat it plain. I don't know why anybody would do that. I eat it with honey and walnuts and it tastes pretty damn good. Putting it into smoothies and some sauces is also a good way to use it. But my breakfast is always a bowl of yogurt, honey and walnuts with green tea.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I thought Greek yogurt was supposed to be something wonderful. I had always bought cheaper brands. So I bought a four pack of Dannon fit and light strawberry yogurt and I'm going to have to find some one to give the other 3 to. I just can't take the texture or how thick it is or something.

You can try adding your own toppings to improve the taste. Some ideas include fruit, honey or granola
  • hph442
    hph442 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    In Canada, Costco has a Kirkland brand that's great.
  • lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    mmmm greek yogurt is great when its vanilla flavoured or mixed with fruit. I like Oikos and in Canada we have Astro brand and Liberte brand. It is very filling and can be fat free (someone mentioned it is higher in fat). The plain greek yogurt is an excellent substitute for sour cream.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I thought Greek yogurt was supposed to be something wonderful. I had always bought cheaper brands. So I bought a four pack of Dannon fit and light strawberry yogurt and I'm going to have to find some one to give the other 3 to. I just can't take the texture or how thick it is or something.

Aw man, I LOVE greek yogurt! The runny kind makes me gag :sick:

Chobani is good, the 'ol standby for me....Siggi's is my favorite but I only get it every once in a while because it's pricey