What u think?

Options
am thinking of starting the alli... wat u guys think of it?

Replies

• LostTeen
    LostTeen Posts: 110
    Options
    What's alli?
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've heard good and bad. I think you should just try to curb your fat intake on your own; eat healthy and stay off the drugs. Just my opinion. Whether its meds, a lap band, Jenny Craig, liquid diets, etc... it all comes down to controlling input versus calorie expendature. Once you staop any of the others, the weight will come back if you don't change your eating habits or make other lifestyle changes.

Sorry for the rant but I know several people that have done some of those extremes (no one that's tried Alli) and they have all gained back, plus! Including 4, yes four that had gatric bypass and lost hundreds of pounds only to gain them all back! And in 3 of the 4; more. Same with people who did growth hormone injections, liquid diets, etc.... Sigh!
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    I dont see the point in pills to lose weight. I always think that if they REALLY worked, why isnt everyone on them, plastered all over the news etc???

I truely believe that the only way to lose weight (and most importantly keep it off long term) is to chance your diet and include more exercise. Boring, but works, and lasts!
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor what he thinks. Whenever you start somethng major like that you should consult a physician.
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I've heard good and bad. I think you should just try to curb your fat intake on your own; eat healthy and stay off the drugs. Just my opinion. Whether its meds, a lap band, Jenny Craig, liquid diets, etc... it all comes down to controlling input versus calorie expendature. Once you staop any of the others, the weight will come back if you don't change your eating habits or make other lifestyle changes.

Sorry for the rant but I know several people that have done some of those extremes (no one that's tried Alli) and they have all gained back, plus! Including 4, yes four that had gatric bypass and lost hundreds of pounds only to gain them all back! And in 3 of the 4; more. Same with people who did growth hormone injections, liquid diets, etc.... Sigh!

Nicely said...
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Time for Frank to come out... so I will be Frank.

Alli is a hunger suppressant. Why do you need a hunger suppressant? Because you are not eating right to begin with.

So, here we go again. This site is devoted to healthy living. Alli is a chemical with one purpose, to mask your body's natural signal that you are not eating properly.

Instead of masking that signal to starve yourself, eat healthy, your body will not feel deprived, and you will lose weight.
    Flip side is use a chemical to mask your body's alarm, lose weight, then gain every pound back with a few friends who tag along. Do this over the course of many years, and you will be like me, trying to lose over 100 lbs.
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    In the UK it's not recommended for use by those with a BMI under 28, you can still buy it online but a pharmacist wouldn't sell it.
    But I think in the US you can pick it up just about anywhere??

Anyway... from what I have read, if you are already eating a healthy balanced diet then you probably don't need it, because it helps you get rid of the fat in your food, it also gets rid of the GOOD fats, e.g from nuts and seeds, oily fish etc.
    I love oily fish for the taste and love that its good for me cos of the Omega 3 oils etc, I don't see the point in making my body rid itself of all the goodness from it, because I took a pill..

I am also scared of toilet accidents....
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I didn't think it was a hunger suppressant? I thought it made you get rid of a lot of the fat from your food, as it goes "right through" ?
    Time for Frank to come out... so I will be Frank.

Alli is a hunger suppressant. Why do you need a hunger suppressant? Because you are not eating right to begin with.

So, here we go again. This site is devoted to healthy living. Alli is a chemical with one purpose, to mask your body's natural signal that you are not eating properly.

Instead of masking that signal to starve yourself, eat healthy, your body will not feel deprived, and you will lose weight.
    Flip side is use a chemical to mask your body's alarm, lose weight, then gain every pound back with a few friends who tag along. Do this over the course of many years, and you will be like me, trying to lose over 100 lbs.
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I've done Alli, but I went off it because it didn't seem to be working any better than if I had just been doing a regular diet/exercise plan. However, that could be because most of my meals were not even the 12g of fat they recommend staying at... they're typically lower. That being said, I also didn't experience any of the side effects that most people fear.

I've known other people who have been on Alli and not had success because they didn't change their eating habits to go with it. You have no idea how many times I've heard things like, "Every time I eat a Snickers bar, I have to run straight to the bathroom!" Well no kidding. They expected Alli to be a magic pill that would help them lose weight without them having to do anything, which is not the case.

If you're willing to change your eating habits to go with Alli, it may not be a bad idea. If you do it right, the fear of a "toilet accident" if you fall off the wagon may be the extra incentive you need to stay on track. It might help you to build the habits you need to continue on your own with a healthy diet.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I checked and I was wrong about the hunger suppressant aspect. A commercial I saw seemed to give the impression it was a suppressant.

Anyway, I checked out an article from the Mayo Clinic on Alli. http://mayoclinic.com/health/alli/WT00030
    It says that Alli could reasonably be expected to help you lose about 3 lbs per year in addition to the weight you would already lose due to diet and exercise. But those 3 lbs come at a cost. Alli is being investigated for an association with possible liver damage.
  • gisii
    gisii Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ooh wow... thanks guys... i decided am not gonna go on it!
    :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options

I agree! Losing weight is all about a lifestyle change, not a quick fix to the problem.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I've heard nothing good about it. Yeah, it helps you lose weight, but not that much more than just eating healthy. Personally, If i slip up and eat something with too much fat, I don't want to worry about anal leakage. I've heard of people having to wear adult diapers while they take it, because you pass a little gas and .....oops!
    sorry if that is tmi, just being honest.
  • nurseandi
    nurseandi Posts: 80
    Options
    huge waste of money for me. didnt work at at all. probably because i dont eat fats.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My dr. gave me phentermine last year I was 5ft. 128lbs I lost about 8lbs on it but spent one entire month throwing up everything I ate. I have kept the wt. off but its because I use this site and workout. What I am saying is diet pills can cause some nasty side effects and you still have to watch what you eat and exercise so you might as well do it the right way.