Why my preworkout meal makes me feel lethargic?

Options
I've been reading alot of information that it's best to eat something small that contains protein and some carbs an hour before excersise so your body has enough energy for the workout ahead and prevent muscle wasting. I usually have 200 grams no fat natural yogurt mixed with protein powder and half a small banana or oatmeal and protein powder as my pre workout meal, but I find that it makes me feel very lethargic than when I used to not eat before excerise and had heaps of energy. Any ideas why my body feels like it's shutting down instead of full of energy ???? Thanks heaps :)

Replies

• bungholesoup
    Options
    I can't answer it specifically but I think the important thing is to try things out and choose what responds best to your body. Since you felt better before doing this I would switch back to not having this meal an hour before. A lot of people do have success with pre workout meals depending on what time of the day they workout, but for me I work out in the morning fasted and during that state the body is oxidizing fat for energy a bit more than normally (I intermittent fast). I would assume that this meal is just too much and your body is busy digesting it instead. If you want to keep trying out the meal for whatever reason trying drinking some coffee with it or another preworkout drink.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I've been reading alot of information that it's best to eat something small that contains protein and some carbs an hour before excersise so your body has enough energy for the workout ahead and prevent muscle wasting. I usually have 200 grams no fat natural yogurt mixed with protein powder and half a small banana or oatmeal and protein powder as my pre workout meal, but I find that it makes me feel very lethargic than when I used to not eat before excerise and had heaps of energy. Any ideas why my body feels like it's shutting down instead of full of energy ???? Thanks heaps :)

Do what allows you to get the most of your workout.

Just worry about hitting your macronutrient goals at the end of the day rather than timing
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If it's detracting from your workout then don't have a pre workout meal. It's totally optional at this level
  • Lemornhamilton
    Options
    Thanks heaps or the advice guys! :)