Ok, this is a weird question, but....

Options
00sarah
00sarah Posts: 621 Member
Parents... Help!!!! What is the deal, here? My 3 year old daughter has armpit odor like a teenager! She is bathed daily. We play outside (and live in Arizona, but it has been very mild weather, lately). I know she is too young for deodorant. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this & what can be done? Sorry, didn't know where to post this!

Replies

• AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    When in doubt, check w/a doc. She may not be too young for deodorant.
  • 00sarah
    Options
    I know. It just sucks, because, unfortunately, unless your child is incredibly ill, it's basically impossible to get a doctor's appointment for her on the AF base where I live. Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this....issue.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Yeah, i would talk to a doctor. My daughter gets stinky but not a hormonal stinky smell.
  • teenio7
    teenio7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would ask a doctor but in the mean time I would put baby powder on her armpits. That might help.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Call and ask for an appointment at the soonest time, it may be down the road but it isn't an wmergency. Ps. Totally understand about it. I had to get an ultraasound at one of e medical facilities on post and it took 3 weeks to get an appointment.
  • 00sarah
    Options
    I use Cetaphil soap on her am wondering if I should switch to the antibacterial Cetaphil. I just hear so much bad info about over using antibacterial products... So I'm not sure which course is the correct one to take.

* ugh! So frustrating! You'd think of ALL the medical issues, infant/children's would be addressed first & in a swift manner!
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is there a nurse hotline you could call? Or go to a trusted medical web page like
    Webmd or mayo clinic and see if you can find an answer. Good luck!

Another thought...maybe it is an allergic reaction. My son had a rash under his arms
    When he drank orange juice.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Until you can get in to a doctor you could use baby powder. Don't use deodorant without asking MD first because of the high level of metals in them.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    hi-

My own daughter is now 19 and she developed breasts and her period by 10 years, but she didn't have the armpit odor you mentioned.

Even though you are military and it is hard to get that appointment, it may rest your mind to just spend the money and take her to on off base pediatrician/doctor. It could be a food allergy or something else.

Is she in any discomfort, fever, reoccurring illness, anything else strange, etc?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Definitely make an appointment for whenever you can get it. In the meantime maybe one of those crystal deoderants? I've never used one, but at least they don't have the potential nasties in them
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Did you check webmd.com?
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    That can be a sign of early puberty. I started at four years old. Unfortunatly in the 80s they didnt do much about it but today they can. Definitely take her in for a check up make sure.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Hmmm! I don't know. But I myself never use deodorant, I just put a little lotion on my armpits. Then take a very small amount of baking soda (like, 1/8teaspoon) and mix with a little more lotion, and use that as deodorant. It works perfectly, is cheap, and no aluminum etc.

This same mix of lotion/baking soda can be used to clean under her arms....clean gently until there is no odor. Start by bathing her first, cleansing gently with cleanser, then use the lotion/baking soda after her bath, applying and wiping it off, until there is no odor. Then leave apply the lotion/baking soda as the deodorant. It works! I have used this for years, and I don't ever smell, even when I go to take a shower (I'm sure I would smell if I skipped deodorant for a day).
  • delphineboom
    Options
    Hm you should really get her checked out by a doctor, maybe it's some kind of hormonal imbalance
  • 00sarah
    Options
    hi-

My own daughter is now 19 and she developed breasts and her period by 10 years, but she didn't have the armpit odor you mentioned.

Even though you are military and it is hard to get that appointment, it may rest your mind to just spend the money and take her to on off base pediatrician/doctor. It could be a food allergy or something else.

Is she in any discomfort, fever, reoccurring illness, anything else strange, etc?

I wish we had the resources to do so. People seem to think military families have it made financially, but it is a sacrifice! She has little bouts of eczema, which I believe is hereditary, as I did when I was younger. But other than that she is very healthy and rarely gets sick.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Do you think if you called the doctor and mentioned you are worried about early puberty they might get you in sooner? Even if not I would phone and make an appointment now, even if its a couple of months away, you can always cancel it if the problem resolves itself.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Im AF too. What base are you at? I know it takes a long time to get an appointment but definitely call and schedule right away anyway.
  • 00sarah
    Options
    Hmmm! I don't know. But I myself never use deodorant, I just put a little lotion on my armpits. Then take a very small amount of baking soda (like, 1/8teaspoon) and mix with a little more lotion, and use that as deodorant. It works perfectly, is cheap, and no aluminum etc.

This same mix of lotion/baking soda can be used to clean under her arms....clean gently until there is no odor. Start by bathing her first, cleansing gently with cleanser, then use the lotion/baking soda after her bath, applying and wiping it off, until there is no odor. Then leave apply the lotion/baking soda as the deodorant. It works! I have used this for years, and I don't ever smell, even when I go to take a shower (I'm sure I would smell if I skipped deodorant for a day).

Thank you for this advice! I rarely use deodorant, as I don't really get body odor! Even though I work out/ sweat quite a bit. I use baking soda as my shampoo ( it's called "no poo" Lol google it) and citric acid as "conditioner"... I will give this a try!
  • 00sarah
    Options
    Do you think if you called the doctor and mentioned you are worried about early puberty they might get you in sooner? Even if not I would phone and make an appointment now, even if its a couple of months away, you can always cancel it if the problem resolves itself.

Early puberty? She's 3!!!!!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Its pre puberty.