water

Options
I cant stand the taste of water. Right now i think i drink maybe 2 glasses a day, and even those are hard for me to get down. I drink alot of coffee and i dont really like tea unless it is sweetened. So i find myself drinking lots of juice to stay hydrated,but I'm worried about the amount of sugar im consuming. Does anybody have suggestions?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Crystal light packets work for a lot of people :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • arlequ1no
    Options
    I'm the same as you - I HATE plain water. I used to drink crystal light because they have a strawberry flavor with caffiene in it, but I'm not crazy about aspartame because of the weird aftertaste and everyone says it's bad for you. Recently, I switched to buying the little powder packs of propel to dissolve in bottles of water. I drink Kiwi-Strawberry or Cherry-Lime and they are so good, I don't even miss soda. They're only about 20 calories a bottle and 2 g sugar - so much better than juices!
  • 100x2xLose
    Options
    I hate water too, but I've found that I can drink it if it's ice cold and filtered through a Brita first.

Other than that, have you tried herbal teas? Lemon, or peppermint? Iced peppermint tea with a tiny bit of sweetener is actually really good on a hot day.
  • vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    Light juices with reduced sugar work very well. Substituting regular sugar with splenda in tea isn't too bad either. For plain water a few drops of lemon gives it some kick.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Try this: Fruit2-o or any other "flavored water." NOT a sports drink type though, because they should be moderated also because of the salts they contain.

My wife was having terrible cramps that I was sure were caused by dehydration. Problem was, she WILL NOT drink water (because she doesn't like the "taste"). So, I introduced her to a flavored water, and she liked it. Because it is more expensive than regular water, we looked for it at Sam's Club. They carry Fruit2-o at Sam's. She likes that more than anything. Each case has 4 flavors (Raspberry, Strawberry, Lemon, and Grape). She has almost completely given up the Dt. Mt. Dew as a result (she might have a glass at dinner and that is it). If she can convert to water, I suspect anyone can. Give the flavored water's a try. They are cheaper than adding Crystal Light (or generic) if you are using bottled water.
  • addicted2sweets
    addicted2sweets Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't care much for water either. I drink Fuze. It's water naturally sweetened with fruit juice. I think it's like 5 or 10 calories a serving.
  • 1desperatehousewife
    Options
    Have you tried sweetening your tea with stevia instead of sugar? It's all natural and sweetens really well. I don't think it has a weird aftertaste like some of the artificial sweeteners. You might also try changing what you're drinking your water out of. This sounds weird, but i got a metal (I think it's aluminum) reusable water bottle from my husband's work and I love the way the water tastes out of it! It has just a hint of metallic flavor and my body seems to crave it.
  • hollyroode
    Options
    Powerade-0
  • craftyrei2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess i forgot to add that I am not ok with using chemical substitutes... sucralose, aspartame, or Ace-K which crystal light, fuze, and fruit2o have. In my opinion, not enough studies have been done yet on stevia to deem it safe.
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I try to break it up with flavored seltzers. The bubbles actually make me full.

I saw that you don't like the artificial sweeteners. How about using fresh fruit? Limes, Lemons, Oranges? Someone mentioned that lemon is actually very helpful for your body's absorption of water into the system.
  • craftyrei2
    Options
    that's a great idea, i love seltzer!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Whey low in my tea and for anything that calls for sugar. can't stand that fake flavor of most sugar substitutes. And when I do just drink water it has to be very cold.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    what about watering down your juice. and then gradually add more and more water to your juice then you'll be drinking water in no time as really that is the best, just 'plain' water
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hated the taste as well but I don't care for any of the flavored waters either. I started drinking water by putting some sliced lemon in it and now I drink min of 10-12 a day, It is so good for your body, hopefully one of these suggestions will help you.
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I like buying fruity tea and using it to make a "jug of juice" and use real maple syrup.

At a local natural food store I bought organic maple syrup flakes (dehydrated maple syrup) and this is very good in my coffee and tea : )

Also I like putting slices of cucumber in my water, as well as fresh lemon/lime.
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I to, had a problem with drinking water. I use to drink at least six sodas a day, tea, and juice. I started cutting back on my sodas until I was down to one a day. I have not had soda for two months now. I also was watering down my tea and juice. I drink water now mostly and treat myself to a tea about once every week and a half. Its too sweet for me now. I found a water that I really like, that has a fresh pure taste to it. It's by Nestle, and its called Pure Life. No chemical taste or anything.. I have to load up on it, because it goes so fast in the store(Walmart). Only one problem, once you start drinking it, It will be hard to drink any other water. Keep trying, you will get use to drinking water. Give yourself time, and just start with small steps.