rice preference brown or white

Options

Replies

• suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try brown basmati, and toast it a bit in the pan before adding stock for flavor!
  • pancakesmajor
    pancakesmajor Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Neither! We sub quinoa for any meals that use rice.

We do variations of these recipes the most:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-with-asian-flavors/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spanish-style-quinoa/
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I LOVE white rice. I'm learning to kind of like brown but I am still a sucker for Japanese style white rice. I also like white jasmine/basmati which is the kind we mostly eat. I have also been subbing quinoa for rice a lot lately.
  • prettyblu
    Options
    Brown rice with Red Devil hot sauce.
    Nom nom. ;)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    meh, if you don't mind eating bleached and enriched foods, then stick with your white rice, because yes - calorie-wise they're basically the same. however, as someone else mentioned, white rice won't fill you up as quickly as brown, so there's more of a tendency/risk to overeat.
    And white rice has no taste. Wild rice blends give you a better nutrient profile and a better taste than even brown, though I do enjoy brown. I used to use primarily straight wild rice, but others found it too overpowering. Whenever I make 50/50 brown/wild or a wild blend, everyone loves it. I use it for Mexican Rice, curry, jambalaya, ettouffe, gumbo, stew etc. I have only gotten rave reviews frome people. Even when I was cooking on boats in the Gulf of Mexico.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Eat what you enjoy. In a decent diet where whole foods dominate it's really a moot point and if adherence is easier, your ahead of the game. Asians eat mostly white rice and don't have the same problem with weight control for this very reason, Americans on the other hand tend to overeat just about everything there is, especially those nice fatty, sugary carby things.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I like brown better myself. I feel like it has more flavor!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Brown rice fan over here! I was scared of it until I tried it but now it's all I buy. Good stuff!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice, especially with a tbsp or two of peanut butter!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like brown basmati rice...or regular brown rice :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I like white a lot more... probably because I grew up eating it but I also don't mind long grain wild rice, that stuff is pretty good.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I know the sodium is high but add some chicken bullion to it, makes it more palatable!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You people are all riceists.

..white sushi grade rice.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Long grain wild rice or white, brown rice is super chewy and most that I've had tastes like cardboard :sick:
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You people are all riceists.

lol awesome :laugh:
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Long grain wild rice or white, brown rice is super chewy and most that I've had tastes like cardboard :sick:
    You aren't cooking it right.
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    it tastes like that to me too and I put it in the rice cooker.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I prefer brown rice, taste-wise, but the health benefit is marginal. We're talking a gram or two of fiber.

This for me also!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    it tastes like that to me too and I put it in the rice cooker.
    I cook it on the stove in stock with onions and garlic chopped finely...
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    have to try that