Home-made chicken soup?

Options
How can I figure out how many calories are in it? And does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the calories, fat, ect, without reducing the flavor?
Thanks everyone!

Replies

• babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I made a super quick chicken soup last night.

serves 6 (generous 1c servings)

1 c diced onion
    1 c diced carrot
    1 c diced celery
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp oregano
    1-2 cloves garlic minced
    1 box (4c) organic low sodium chicken broth
    300g precooked and diced chicken (boneless, skinless and hopefully without added sodium water to plump it up)
    2c water (or more if you think you need it)
    3 servings of shell pasta cooked until slightly tender (about 5 min instead of 7)

saute the veggies and spiced in the olive oil until tender
    Add the precooked and diced chicken and all the liquid.
    Simmer for 10-15 minutes
    While simmering, cook the pasta in a separate pot.

To serve: split the pasta into 6 equal servings (bowls or glad-ware containers). Divide the soup evenly between the containers. The soup will be good to eat right away, even though the noodles are not cooked for the full length. The beauty here though, is that when you reheat the extra soup, the noodles will finish cooking, but will not be overdone.

If you like more veggies, use more. I am actually not convinced that 1c each was what I actually used last night... but I was too busy to bother measuring. I'm thinking it was about the right amount though. :)
  • Livennia
    Livennia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! Do you know how many calories are in it? :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That's a bit too vague to guess the calories, it will depend on what you put in it!

Did you use any oil for softeneing the onions or vegetables first?

There's a recipe calculator here on My Fitness Pal, where you can input your own ingredients and the number of servings, and it'll do all those calculations for you.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    That's a bit too vague to guess the calories, it will depend on what you put in it!

Did you use any oil for softeneing the onions or vegetables first?

There's a recipe calculator here on My Fitness Pal, where you can input your own ingredients and the number of servings, and it'll do all those calculations for you.

Yes, I used olive oil to saute the veggies first... and included that value in the recipe. The only thing "vague" about my recipe was the amount of veggies I put in it. Everything else I measured quite carefully... well, except the water. When I put my values in the calculator I assumed 1c of veggies per type... I'm pretty sure I used more... but that wouldn't affect the calorie content too much. But in any case, if you divided my estimated recipe into 6 equal portions you would get the following values (from mfp recipe calculator):

236 calories
    27g carbs
    21g protein
    5g fat
    4g fiber
    362mg sodium (when using kirkland organic chicken broth)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Babeinthemoopn, I didn't mean your recipe was vague, I meant the OP's question!

Was it chicken noodle soup, cream of chicken, chicken and vegetable?