Joggers! How do you carry your things?

Options

Replies

• LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The only things I run with are my iPhone and a house key and car key. The phone lives in a phone sock and that I stuff into my bra, one key goes into the key pouch in my running pants, the other goes into a little wrist band which has a zipped compartment for a key. If I'm doing Parkrun then my runner number/barcode will fit into the wrist band or inside the phone sock with my phone.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Think everyone has got it covered but just a couple more things...

From your post it sounds like you might live in the UK? If so, SportsDirect do Karrimor belts which are good: http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-audio-belt-764026

SportsDirect also do running tights (leggings) for when you get the courage up (I actually feel slimmer running in them than jogpants as they suck everything in!). I have some Adidas Response ones that have a little pocket at the back that is just big enough for my keys.

I also have a couple of tops with pockets in. Normal running tops are rubbish for this so look out instead for Trail Running tops or cycling tops, which have pockets at the back and/or sides. Evans are good for cycling tops, if you have one near you or have a look online at Wiggle or SportsDirect (I should get commission for mentioning them!).
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I take my key, cell phone and i Pod (I use the GPS on my cell phone and then only have my music on my iPod for now). I have an arm band for my iPod, I take my house key and loop it through my shoe lace (make sure to loop it and then fully tie them) and I carry my phone in my hand.

I like the idea of looping the key through your shoelace :) that's clever. I was desperate once and attached my house key to my belly ring!

It was one of the best lessons I learned from college! Going to the gym/for a run but didn't want my lanyard bouncing in my face...key in the shoelace!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I-pod clips on, key either in a pocket or pinned to the inside of my shorts. I don't carry anything else.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I stick my ipod in my my bra when I run. Keys...how many do you have? I you have 2, stick one on each shoe lace and tuck it into the criss crossed lace part. Pain in the butt but what can you do? Then hold your phone or put it into your bra as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I tie my key to my shoe. I carry nothing else. I don't even carry water unless I'm going more than 8 miles.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I hate the arm band, my arms are so skinny that it wont stay on at all. I use a small fanny pack...it kinda stretches to fit my phone (so I can have my music & gps) and my front door key. That's all I need.
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wear ankle socks, put the key near the top of the sock and roll it down - you can carry both keys this way. I used the other sock for a map when I was running long-distance. Only problem: kept forgetting to take the map out and ended up with a whole lot of washing plus tiny bits of paper.

MP3 player - armband as before. Found it useful to put it over a T-shirt to prevent chafing.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My key loops onto my HRM watch strap, and phone with music goes on a armband. Sorted! X
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I use the iPod shuffle, which clips onto my running top.
    I wear a hi-viz running jacket which has pockets - one side is for my keys and a plastic bag (I run with my dog), and the other holds my phone, on which I use MapMyRun.
    I recently bought a special long-sleeved running top, which has a lovely wee pocket in the back.
  • lyngking
    lyngking Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a FlipBelt. It looks like it will do the trick.

http://www.flipbelt.com/homepage/
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Key = I tied to into the laces of my runners, or in the draw string on my running shorts

IPod/phone = I bring my iPhone, with running app and itunes on it. Arm strap.

Thats the lot.
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    sports bra or arm band and i would definitely get another key cut for your door or something so you can just take that with you instead of the whole lot :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have a scale depending on length of the run.

1. Key pocket in shorts or running tights.
    2. Key holder through laces of shoes or on wrist.
    3. Fleece or running jacket pocket (winter only).
    4. Fist grip water bottle.
    5. Gel belt.
    6. Flat hip pack.
    7. Bigger hip back with two small water bottles.
    8. Even bigger hip pack with one large water bottle.
    9. Running back pack with water bladder.

I find arm bands for phone useless, but then I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, which is like having a small television strapped to your biceps!

As others have said, running hip packs are much flatter and closer to the body that tourist bum bags and should fit snugly in the small of your back and not jiggle. But I do try and make sure any running gear has pockets. It's unfair that men have them everywhere!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You only really need water if you are going over 10k or running more than an hour
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I only take house keys and my ipod - my nano goes in an armband which has a pocket for my house keys, so it's easy. I can't take my phone because it's too large - Samsung SIII - I think it's ridiculously large. Sometimes I'll wear my garmin forerunner watch so I can see how far / how fast I'm going, but not too fussed by that because I'm just starting out.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've only just started running myself, I have an iPhone so that goes into an armband and the only thing I carry is my door key and that is usually tucked in to my bra!!
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    iphone in an armband (for music and GPS tracking and calls if an emergency) and I have a really small fist grip water bottle with a pocket - which holds my key, a kleenex, ID and $10 for emergencies). I run for about an hour so dont need any huge water, but sometimes having a mouthful is lovely. The bottle only holds 350mls so its perfect - I have another one which holds 600 for long walks / hot days. Sorted :)
  • Janie_May
    Janie_May Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you search for 'shoe wallet' online, you'll find lots of pockets that attach to your shoelaces with Velcro or a clip...usually big enough for an ID and keys. In addition to wrist and ankle bands, Road ID also has a shoe pouch with the engraved ID tag attached. I think it's important to have your emergency contact numbers on you, especially if you're out exercising alone. Safety first! :smile:
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, excellent point. Nathan sports make a range of gear (like my drink bottle) that come with ID cards. They make everything with IDs and also reflective - if you're someone who runs at dawn like I do thats important!