Need Super Bowl Pot Luck Idea

Options
kelly_e_montana
kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
Hello, we are having a Super Bowl party at my work and I need a potluck idea. Here are the criteria:

1) No flour
2) No red meat
3) Not that expensive
and 4) No mushrooms

Those are my own criteria. I want something that I can personally eat that is not a fruit or veggie platter and that won't scare away regular folk who aren't trying to eat healthy. I want to fool them!

Replies

• delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    so one thing that is really yummy and not bad for you is corn and black bean "salad.

its really easy to make:

corn (canned and drained)
    black beans
    a little sugar
    olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    apple cider vinegar
    feta cheese

and ive added salsa to it also to spice up the flavor
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    That sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.:smile:
  • Aowens21
    Options
    Chicken Hamburger - I used ground turkey instead of chicken - but extra yummy
    Ingredients:

1 pound extra-lean ground chicken
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    11/2 teaspoons honey
    1/2 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
    2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
    1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
    3/4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
    3/4 cup chili sauce
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder
    4 whole-grain or whole-wheat hamburger buns

Mist a medium nonstick skillet with olive oil spray and set it over medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, breaking into large chunks, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire, honey, and hot-pepper sauce. Whisk to blend. Set aside.

Drain off any liquid that has accumulated in the pan. Add the
    onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, chili sauce, chili powder, and the reserved vinegar mixture to the pan. Stir to blend.
    Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat so mixture simmers. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened. Spoon the mixture equally onto the opened buns.
    Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 331 calories, 31 g protein, 43 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (less than 1g saturated), 66 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 876 mg sodium
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Thanks, I need something without flour so I can eat it too. :) I am going to try this recipe without the bun at home though.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    BBQ turkey meatballs.
  • Swibbels01
    Swibbels01 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1284

slow cooker pulled chicken bbq
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You could do either a meatless or turkey chili and have sour cream, cheese, diced onions, and tortilla scoops on the side for everyone to top how they want.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You could do either a meatless or turkey chili and have sour cream, cheese, diced onions, and tortilla scoops on the side for everyone to top how they want.
    Yes!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I really like this "dip" called cowboy salsa. It has black eyed peas, corn, diced tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, garlic, and a splash of italian dressing, and you can use tortilla chips to eat with!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Low fat or fat free refried beans
    Jarred salsa
    Light sour cream
    reduced fat cheese
    Ground chicken cooked/crumbled

layer ingredients in a baking dish and bake until heated through and cheese is melted.

It can be eaten alone or as a dip for veggie chips or tortillas.

If you are eating it alone you might want to add extra chicken to make it more hearty.

Good luck!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    fresh Jalapenos with seeds and heat vein removed stuff with peanut butter. This is so good! FYI use glove when handling the seeds and vein.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Cauliflower

1 cup water or soy milk
    1 cup flour (any kind will work—even gluten-free!)
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces
    1 cup buffalo or hot sauce
    1 Tbsp. olive oil or melted vegan margarine

•Preheat the oven to 450°F.
    •Combine the water or soy milk, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined.
    •Coat the cauliflower pieces with the flour mixture and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake for 18 minutes.
    •While the cauliflower is baking, combine your buffalo sauce and olive oil or margarine in a small bowl.
    •Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes.
    •Serve alongside vegan blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
  • maylilymomma
    maylilymomma Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Buffalo chicken dip or jalepeno popper dip are both great!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Another good one is bonless skinless chicken tenders baked with a variety of sauces like buffalo sauce, bbq sauce, garlic teriyaki etc..

Or Chicken meatballs with bbq sauce and pineapple chunks.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Wow these ideas are fantastic! Thanks so much. I have never heard of peanut butter stuffed in jalapenos but I'll try anything once unless it's fungus or has tentacles.:laugh:
  • 3boysmom73
    3boysmom73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I made this for a party and it was a hit! She has a whole super bowl recipe section for more ideas
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip.html
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    I was just about to post the skinny buffalo chicken dip! I'm making that for my party. haha
    This was my other option though! Pinterest has a lot of great ideas! =]
    http://hometrendsutah.blogspot.com/2012/06/tried-and-true-recipe-skinny-poolside.html
  • 3boysmom73
    3boysmom73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great minds:smile: