How many times should I exercise?

Options
Hi, guys.

I started changing my eating behaviours around three weeks ago. For 2 weeks now I've been logging into MFP and exercising 3-4 times a week for around an hour each day (only cardio, not weight lifting yet). I started in 92kg and now I am around 88.5kg. I want to get to 67kg.

So I have a couple of questions since I have plateaued this week. Ive read this is normal at this point, but I want to make sure I am doing everything right, so I have a few questions:

- I read that a lot of people here exercise 5, 6 times a week. Can I get by by exercising three, sometimes 4 times a week? Most importantly, is 3 times/week ok?

- Do I really have to eat those extra calories for the days I exercise? All of them? I feel really bad about eating them. Does everybody here eat those extra calories?

- It all comes down to math, right? I have to consume up to 1330 calories/day (my limit), 9310/week... but can I count weekly, not daily? Even if that causes some days to go under 1.200 calories? Like, if I want to eat a special treat in two days from now, and then today and tomorrow Ill eat only 1100 calories each day (but by the end of the week Ill have reached 9310). Is that unhealthy? Does any of you count it that way?

I guess thats it from now. Ive been reading these boards a lot and you have no idea how its helping me to keep strong and motivated. You guys rock. Thanks!

Replies

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body as everyone is different. For example I cycle every day (1100+ per month) and rarely eat all my burnt cals back. This works for me, but most will say it is all wrong.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i personally exercise everyday. only because if i dont make something a habit, i tend to stop. i aim for an hour everyday. i know that is not easy or ideal for most people. but i do have an elliptical in a convenient spot in my house to make it easier. now i moved on to a ymca membership. i dont eat back my exercise calories. i changed my settings to active. some days im right on target. other days i may go a little over. i listen to my body and eat when it tells me to. i leave the extra calories to net for extra weight loss. if i got over what mfp said was my target, it usually is cause i put in extra time exercising. so its usually fruit or protein bars. i dont feel as guilty eating extra when its something healthy oppose to junk food. but i do also allow treats in my diet too! your going to hear a lot about clean eating. that isnt for me. i am eating healthier. but i still have my chocolate and still drink my diet pop. but i use to do a whole lot worse. and i have lost almost 30 pounds in a month. so obviously im doing something right. and im not hungry or having problems either.
  • hannahbsf
    Options
    I am sorry, I just found a lot of information about it here at the 'info for newbies' thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

I guess if you have something other to say or encourage me here, Id like to hear anyway.

Thanks guys
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do not know where you live, but if possible have a look at BBC 2 Horizon programme tonight, with Dr Michael Mosely, investigating exercise.

3 minutes intense once a week may be enough, depends on your genes it seems
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body as everyone is different. For example I cycle every day (1100+ per month) and rarely eat all my burnt cals back. This works for me, but most will say it is all wrong.

It's not wrong because you're not aiming for a stupidly low calorie intake and intent on ruining your metabolism.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    In one week work out more than you take off. So 4 times minimum.