Fiber

Options
I have been researching fiber and decided that the recommended amount on here was too low and I bumped it up to 35g/day. This is the easiest read http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033. I made it one of my monitored goals and have definitely noticed a change in my hunger cycle, also I have noticed how hard it is to get 35g of fiber a day. Anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I think it's too low too, but if you bump it up, something else gets automatically bumped down to compensate. I don't want to sacrifice protein because I work out, you CAN'T sacrifice carbs because thats where your fiber mostly comes from...I guess you could lower your fats and try to stay within it...
  • sandytch
    sandytch Posts: 1
    Options
    If you change goals like fiber and sodium, nothing else changes. However, if you change carbs, protein, or fat, others in that group change. I monitor my fiber as well, and I try to stay at about 30 g per day. I take fiber choice weight management supplements once a day, the supplements don't taste too bad and take away 7 grams of carbs per day, but they help me keep my fiber intake where I would like it to be. Fiber is also found naturally in many fruits and veggies, and you may find that when you increase the amount of veggies that you eat, you will lose faster!
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree that the fiber goal is way too low. I aim for 36 (and often go over that). Fiber helps slow digestion and that keeps you from getting so hungry and keeps blood sugar more stable. I am also completely unable to stay within the sugar goal while getting my fruits and veggies in. I've reached my goal already today just on the banana and plain yoghurt I had with breakfast (and a couple of strawberries blended into the yoghurt). In the evening, I usually still have calories left to eat and am over in pretty much all categories. It's hard to figure out what to eat! I'm eating healthy - no refined sugar, no empty carbs.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Funny this topic came up today.
    I just finished sending a question about this on another board.
    MFP had my fiber auto set at 15gr., which is just way way too low.
    Bare minimum is 25gr. per day. So I changed it to 25 and now am going to bump it up to 35 with my goal of getting to 40.
    When increasing your fiber make sure to go slowly and increase your water at the same time.
    You do not need to be miserable while your body adjusts.
    Drink water , eat fiber , feel full.
    Works for me.
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    here is a good chart on fiber quantities for different types of food

http://www.wehealny.org/healthinfo/dietaryfiber/fibercontentchart.html
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree--I think mine was automatically set to 15g and I changed that to 25g but now I aim for around 30-35g a day.
    Generally I get my fiber from: fruit (berries like blackberries and raspberries have a really good amount of fiber); veggies; hummus; high fiber cereal and wholegrain carbs.