Paris Vacation

Options
So, I was invited by a friend to tag along to Paris for a week, leaving Friday. Super excited about it, I haven't been to Europe ever. The problem is food. I can't log while there. I don't know what food will be available. I am planning on taking snacks, almonds, protein bars, but I have limited space in my bag, I don't want to fill it up with a lot of food.
Advice? Anyone know anything about Parisian food?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's a week. Allow your body to have a diet break. It's actually really good to get off of calorie restriction occasionally. This allows hormones to be regulated. And it's vacation so you want to enjoy yourself. Just eat stuff high in protein, add veggies and fruits and minimize sweet and you should be good.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Paris is one of the food capitals of the world - enjoy it!

You'll be able to find steak and veggies pretty much everywhere. The portion sizes aren't huge. Breakfast will probably be a croissant and coffee, and the desserts will be hard to resist!

if you really want a treat, go to the Ille St Louis, beside the Ille de la Cite where Notre Dame is. Down the street in the centre is Berthillon ice cream shop, with flavours from heaven. Again, the serving size is small, so you can afford to treat yourself.
  • itsmeterrih
    itsmeterrih Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will look for that! We have a week, so I hope I can take my time sightseeing, and oh yeah, shopping! :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Its a great city for walking about in too - they even have a special verb for strolling around, "flanner".

And if you want a good workout, take the stairs up the Eiffel Tower :laugh:
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Try not to carb overload. This is always my problem when I go to mainland Europe. Bread and pastries are everywhere.
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, Paris - how cool is that!!! Walk lots - Enjoy the food/wine. I think one of the benefits of MFP is that it has made me more aware of food and my food choices/portions. I bet its done the same for you. Safe Travels!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are much smaller, and even with a multi course meal you will be full but not stuffed. Get a carte viste and you can hop on and off the metro and buses all week. We stayed on the left bank and walked or took the metro and I came home 5 pounds lighter from all the walking. Musee d'Orsay is a must see.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    you will be fine...it is beautiful there.

you will be walking a LOT.

have a wonderful time, dont spend it stressing about food.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Paris is one of my favourite cities.....enjoy all it has to offer......try to walk as much as you can to cancel out the delicious food!
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It depends if you'll be eating out or have some home-made meals, or both. You can find anything you want for cooking in France so it shouldn't be diffficult to log. Personnally I find a lot of french foods in the database ;)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    do not take snacks with you
    in Paris snack on cheese, bread and crossaints nom nom nom

you will burn tons of calories walking,
    the portion sizes are much smaller
    if you are still worried limit your wine to 1 glass per meal, and order salad as an entry
    enjoy your stay!
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's a week. Allow your body to have a diet break. It's actually really good to get off of calorie restriction occasionally. This allows hormones to be regulated. And it's vacation so you want to enjoy yourself. Just eat stuff high in protein, add veggies and fruits and minimize sweet and you should be good.

This is interesting info. Which hormones are regulated when you stop dieting?
  • baronmel
    baronmel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Aaah, gay Paris! The food there is beyond amazing but very rich. Just be careful of your portion sizes which shouldnt be too hard since their serving sizes are more in line with what you should be eating (not our super-sized American portions). There is actually a book written a couple of years ago called "French Women Don't Get Fat" which kind talks about the premise of eating great food in very small portions. http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/

Good luck and enjoy the trip!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    I used to live there, and miss the delicious (though some are slightly naughty) salads you could get at almost any cafe. Salade du Perigord (with giblets), salade nicoise (tuna, tomato, green beens, boiled egg, olives), salade aux lardons (with bacon and poached egg).
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'll be in Paris in 2 weeks. Have an amazing time!
  • tlkrallman
    Options
    My daughter and I went a several years ago. It is everything they say it is, completely beautiful and completely dirty all at the same time. The sight seeing is amazing, the food is fantastic, and the shopping ooo la la .... well if you come home with any money left... you just didn't do it right! :) Have a fantastic time.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Paris is the most worthwhile walkable city I know. Just enjoy yourself and walk your butt off and enjoy that beautiful city. I will warn..when in college i went and gained weight and the sole reason? wonderful croissants, jam ,and french butter at breakfast. everyday and whenever i could get my hands on them... I I went crazy for those.. I remember my pants being so tight when i got back.

So..walk everywhere...and only eat a few croissants.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the "French Paradox!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Paradox

Maybe you won't even have to worry about logging food in MFP there to be healthy and lose weight. Just live the lifestyle of the locals and you should be fine!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've just come back from Paris and my main bit of advice to you would be to wrap up warm!!!

As for the food - it's a holiday - try everything in moderation and TRY EVERYTHING, it's all part of the experience of life! The food is beautiful and the bread it to die for (plus it's not full of all the rubbish sugars and preservatives that you find in UK and American bread). They serve bread with every meal - I always made room for a couple of slices. Coffee's always come with little biscuits and they give you nuts and pretzels with beer. It's great, I ate three meals a day, enjoyed beer, pate, bread, pretzels, mulled wine and croissants in moderation and came back the same size I left to go.

I don't log calories any more, but my general rule is eating a little of everything and not eating until uncomfortable.

ENJOY!!! x
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Eat like the French women and have a little taste of everything. They don't deprive themselves of anything - just be mindful of portions and have a taste of everything.
    You will be in a beautiful City having new experiences - why deny yourself the enjoyment.

As others have said there'll be lots of opportunity to walk and help balance out any excess!