Getting back on track after a binge?

Options
How hard do you find it to get back on track after a crazy day of eating? Yesterday I went nuts, and today I feel like I want to do it again. I find it really hard to recover. I usually do, but it's never easy, and sometimes it takes me a while. One day of binging really can undo a lot of your hard work- you may not gain a lot of weight back, but mentally, it's hard to go back to depriving yourself after you've given in to all of your cravings.

For those of you who have a tendency to binge, do you slip pretty easily back into line or, like me, want to repeat the whole thing the next day?

Replies

• thisemmabites
    Options
    it's so hard to get back on track... I crave all the bad foods even more after I binge!
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    for me I sometimes end up having a bad week, and then I kick myself back into my routine. I am finding that my most difficult times are just before my TOM.
  • luffymoogan
    Options
    It's hard. It's like falling off a horse - you've gotta grit your teeth and try and get back on as soon as you can otherwise you'll get into a pattern of not wanting to. it takes real strength - but look at what you've achieved already. You can do it!
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree it's hard, but look at your tracker and how far you have gotten. 46 pounds is pretty impressive and something that you should be proud of!!
    But if you crave salty, try to go to the 100 calorie packs, and if it doesn't keep you satisfied, find something else to occupy your mind. Go for a walk, have a huge glass of water.
  • queensara2478
    Options
    It is hard to get back on track, I usually somehow manage to "Justify" my bad eating habits with some lame excuse. Just this past week I had a rough one, somehow I managed to get back on track, took 2 days!!! I try to tell myself, get through the first day and the next day gets easier, then I try to think of something to motivate me, a new excersise,a new goal (like looking nice in the cute bathing suit I bought on clearance) and then I just lock myself in my room away from food when evening comes. I make sure I'm eating all of my calories and try to make sure I'm eating fruits and vegetables with every meal.

Good luck! You Can Do It!!!
  • My45Chelle
    Options
    I hear ya, just did the same thing last night and felt the "binge mode" wanting to take over! I made some unhealthy choices and tried eating the serving size or maybe 2 servings and just enjoyed it. I felt that the more I resisted, the worse the binge would be. I think its important to recognize that you feel like eating more than you should, then do it, but only for a few servings extra. I give in to the mini binge, to avoid complete loss of control and eat too much, feel like crap and then get depressed. I get back on track the next day, it happens, no excuses, just keep working toward your goal:ohwell: .
  • kelkie11
    kelkie11 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am just like u. I can do great for days and the day that I binge it is like I just give up and I don't go back on track for a few days at least..thne i get depressed and start all over again:cry:
  • BarbRigg
    BarbRigg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How hard do you find it to get back on track after a crazy day of eating? Yesterday I went nuts, and today I feel like I want to do it again. I find it really hard to recover. I usually do, but it's never easy, and sometimes it takes me a while. One day of binging really can undo a lot of your hard work- you may not gain a lot of weight back, but mentally, it's hard to go back to depriving yourself after you've given in to all of your cravings.

For those of you who have a tendency to binge, do you slip pretty easily back into line or, like me, want to repeat the whole thing the next day?

Something you might try... make your diet public and ask a somebody to check it daily. Knowing that somebody is going to actually be looking over what you had to eat for the day might just make you more conscious of what you eat.
  • texaslady1
    texaslady1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one! One day of bingeing can do me in....or I should say, it has in the past. LIke you said, it is a mental thing. Couple things that help me. As simple as it sounds, if I take my vitamins CONSISTENTLY I have fewer cravings. I invest in a really good vitamin pack that absorbs at least 85% in my body and it helps to keep me level. Also, when I feel I HAVE to have that certain food, I tell myself that I AM going to have it.....and a LOT.....tomorrow! Usually by the next day, the out of control craving is gone. One day a week I allow myself one meal of whatever I want, I just watch portions. This teaches me portion control with binge foods and gives me something to look forward to so that I don't feel like I will be deprived for what seems forever. Also, there are certain foods I can incorporate into my calories for the day but some food are trigger foods, like chocolate. I have to laugh when some people say just eat 10 M & Ms and satisfy that craving. Good for them but for me....NOT! One piece of chocolate in my mouth if I am in one of those "moods" and it is all over. If I substitute something else, like General Foods International Mocha, etc. I can get my chocolate taste bud satisfied with only 50 calories instead of bingeing on a whole bag of chocolate kisses. Bread is another trigger for me. I eat very little bread at all except for that one meal a week when I have whatever I want. And because I know I can have whatever I want, I usually don't feel compelled to overeat because I know I can do it again next week. As far as getting back on track after a binge.....that is really tough. I do the procrastinate thing again and tell myself that I AM going to binge again.......tomorrow. And by then, I am usually back in control. You have lost so much weight and you are very inspiring. You can do it. It is two steps forward and sometimes a step or two backwards but we all know how good it feels to be making progress toward that goal. And that makes it worth it. I have to keep reminding myself that I will never be able to eat what I want, when I want and how much I "want" as far as appetite goes, i.e. my emotional eating which is my biggest challenge. This is a life style change in which I have to "plan" my splurges, as I call them now instead of "binges" and incorporate them into my life so that I do not feel guilty and give up. Being in control and making a conscious decision on what I put in my mouth, even if it is a splurge food, is the answer for me. Good luck!!!!:love:
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    if you just make everyday a little better then the last
    even if you slip up and binge, if you try to eat just a little less the next day
    and continue to make the day after that even better
    youll forget all about those terrible eating habits as you embracve making every day
    your best

everyday is a new day and every day is a new challenge
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    If the food is there, and I have time and nothing else to occupy me, I'll probably eat it. This leaves me with 3 strategies to keep things under control.

""If the food is there, and I have time and nothing else to occupy me""

If the food is there (Try to keep minimal junk in the house)
    and I have time (Keep busy, no time)
    and nothing else to occupy me (Keep busy, always otherwise occupied).

That pretty well works, most of the time. This is especially important after a bad day. 1 bad day turns to 2 turns to a week turns to 3 pounds back on so easily it'll make you dizzy.

Keep it up wisewomanBrenda, you're doing great.