Shin splints

Got shin splints 2 summers ago. Didn't work out for some time after that. Just got back into working out. Low impact... Elliptical and turbo jam videos so far. My shins feel stiff in the mornings but don't hurt like before. Worried they might get hurt again. Is there anything I can do?

Replies

• jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Lots of stretching, ice and massage. :smile:
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    You might also want to get proper footwear. Even if you don't run you may pronate or need support that you are currently not getting. I went to the Running Room and got assessed and they suggested what footwear I should be wearing and it made a world of difference, haven't had a shin splint since.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Wearing heels during the day at work if you can will help because it stretches the top of the foot and front of the shin.

Also, try sitting on top of your feet with the tops of your feet on the ground, place your hands on either side of your legs and pull your knees up to your chest, this is also a good stretch.

For icing, put water into dixie cups and freeze then roll up and down your shins.

MOST IMPORTANT, when you feel your shin splints getting aggravated, take rest, that is the only way they will get better, take a day of cardio off and focus on lifting or yoga or pilates.
  • Lilyyy7
    Lilyyy7 Posts: 41
    I had the same problem! I LOVE running, used to run 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. But I had to stop for a while because of my shins. Here is what I did....

Began to drink TONS of water. Rest - They can't get better without resting them. Maybe try different excersices. Stretching often. I purchased Zensah compression socks. They help me out sooooo much! I can't even workout without them. Bought some new shoes. These shoes are really light, which made a huge difference!

Hopes this helps! Good luck :)
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Ive had shin splints since i was 7yrs old!!!! (now 31!) I walk funny, like on my tiptoes without an orthotic in place.

its been described to me as my calf muscle is stronger and larger than my shin muscle and when I was fast or run the "dorsalis pedias) sp? shin muscle becomes aggravated My orthotics have a HIGH arch to them, tip my feet out a lil almost like correcting someone who was pigeon toed or knobby knees-and they have a heel lift-this is what disguises my tip toe walk.

I run-with pain :(

Currently I am trying some accupuncture, muscle stripping and ice and massage to break up the scar tissue and reduce inflammation. After a few weeks I will go back to my shin exercises (look on youtube) and see if I can run pain free then!

I do turbofire no prob, I can jump and run in place without pain, but its the consistent running over 10-15 mins that the shins start acting up on me. .
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    get some great shoes. I struggled with this in high school when I ran track for a few years, and good running shoes and ice every night makes a big difference.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Proper shoes, possibly inserts ( I had to go through several before I found some that work, but I have other structural issues) stretching, calf raises, toe point/flex. These will all be beneficial. Also, you may want to look into icing after workouts, at least in the beginning. If all else, fails, KT Tape works great (their website has video's on how to apply) though I would be wary of becoming dependent on the stuff.