NSV - pushing myself

Options
So, I have always despised running. Guess I felt it was too difficult with all this weight on me and I could never catch my breath. But I started the couch to 5k, and only went through the first 2 or 3 weeks, and I was running/jogging at 5.0 mph, a 12 min mile. I could never really make it past 6 min. straight because I would always get winded. So someone told me just to slow my pace down a bit. I did that a week or so ago and I was able to run a mile straight (ditched the intervals and C25K for now).

Yesterday, I went to the gym, walked for 5 minutes warm up and upped my speed to my jog/run (I don't call it running because it is a slow pace). I made it through the first mile, and I thought to myself, I am going to try for 1.5 miles. So, I turned my music up and kept going. I got to 1.5 miles and thought, what is 6.5 more minutes? I can do this! I went for a full 2 miles without stopping!

I know it doesn't sound like much to some who have always enjoyed running, but I am beginning to love it and feel empowered, only because I pushed myself. Before, I would have stopped after 1 mile, or even less, when it started getting a little harder and I started getting tired.

I'm doing the Dirty Girl 5K in May, and I will make 3.1 miles in no time if I keep pushing myself. :) Feels great to be proud of yourself.

Replies

• RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!!

I have started a c25k and am on week 1 day 3 tomorrow, and really hope to be in your shoes soon :)

What an excellent job, Be proud! x
  • fatyoga
    fatyoga Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That's definitely something to be proud of! Way to push yourself and be able to relish the achievement.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's always cause for celebration when we do something we didn't think we could do! That's awesome!
  • eelliott5
    Options
    Great job, be proud!
    I've always wanted to be a runner, always pictured myself as a runner, but could never run lol I assumed there must be some technique that I lacked, I started C25K and found it very achievable, 3 days to go and I will have finished the program! It's very empowering achieving something that once seemed impossible. Keep at it, I don't think it gets easier, I think we get stronger and fitter, our bodies are amazing things that we constantly underestimate, keep pushing the boundaries!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!