Bananas

Options
i know this may sound like a silly question but when you put bananas into your food log to you take into consideration how much sugar are in them? I've added one and now I'm over my sugar intake :(

Replies

• SheOwens
    SheOwens Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question at all, my Father-n-Law has diabetes and his doctor only allows him a half of a banana per day.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    do a search for this to see a lot of replies. most people will tell you that sugars from fruits aren't really what you need to worry about, it's more the added sugars in foods like yogurt, soda, etc. what i used to do is subtract the sugar in fruit from my sugar total to see how it balanced out. when i did that, i usually ended up breaking even or just barely over. don't worry about it too much.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I dont track sugar at all. I eat lots of bananas. Unless you are diabetic, dont worry about it.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I love bananas.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I dont track sugar at all. I eat lots of bananas. Unless you are diabetic, dont worry about it.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    that is bananas!lol
  • ajstewart20745
    ajstewart20745 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    DITTO. I never ralized that bananas had so much sugar and I was eating them like crazy makes me wonder where my extra pounds came from.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7u9gk5Kie1rzjlc4o1_500.gif
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about natural sugar. Bananas, apples and all those fruits have them but fruit is good for you. Don't let it burst your sugar bubble
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sugars from fruit and other natural sources are fine, assuming no diabetes. It's the refined and added sugars you should be careful of overdoing.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I don't track my sugars (you can change what nutrients you track) because I do eat a lot of fruit--so I don't have cravings for the "other" sugars. It's fructose, not glucose that I'm eating--which my body appreciates so much more...just my thoughts. :o)
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't count fruit sugars.
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    iv always lost weight dieting when eating one bananna a day
  • Sisu77
    Sisu77 Posts: 4
    Options
    My thought is that it's not the same as processed sugars/foods. Bananas are all natural and our bodies know how to process those easier. Though, my grandmother used to say "everything in moderation." Probably should've listened to that awhile ago! LOL
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Love bananas, I have one almost everyday. I also use it as a substitute to margarine in cooking for some recipies.

As previous posts, sugar from fruits are fine, it's the refind sugars and other forms are the bad boys.
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7u9gk5Kie1rzjlc4o1_500.gif

LOL! Brilliant.
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'll even pipe up as someone with type 2 diabetes in pretty decent control. I eat bananas at will (2-3 a week) and it really doesn't impact my sugars much nor my weight progess. Just as someone else mentioned, simple sugars are the devil, not natural sugars from fresh fruit. Fruit sugars process for me better just like whole grains process better for me than white breads.
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In one of my biology classes I was told by my instructor that you can gain weight if you eat an abundance of sugary fruit, like a fruit diet or something. I don't think a banana a day will make a difference. But then again I'm no expert.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    not a silly question at all... you will probably get a lot of different answers on here because some people are very pro-fruit and others are anti-fruit.
    I personally would rather go over my sugar eating a banana than going over because I ate a snickers bar... i believe natural sugars are just fine!!

♥melissa