underactive thyroid - nothing to do with weight loss

Options
sharonmunday90
sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
Is there any one on here in the uk with an underactive thyroid.

Ive had this condition for near on 20 years and am currently on 175mgs of thyroxine. this was upped from 150mgs last august after feeling very ill with dizziness for months. my gp just wasnt interested and kept telling me my tests were normal.

I am constantly tired. always getting ill and am basically fed up. my gp says im depressed.

Ive heard about treatment with t3 or needing adrenal support.

I have an appointment with my gp next friday but am unsure where to go with it all?

Thanks

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Is there any one on here in the uk with an underactive thyroid.

Ive had this condition for near on 20 years and am currently on 175mgs of thyroxine. this was upped from 150mgs last august after feeling very ill with dizziness for months. my gp just wasnt interested and kept telling me my tests were normal.

I am constantly tired. always getting ill and am basically fed up. my gp says im depressed.

Ive heard about treatment with t3 or needing adrenal support.

I have an appointment with my gp next friday but am unsure where to go with it all?

Thanks

I've heard it's really difficult to get proper care for thyroids in the UK. :(

That's a pretty high dose of thyroxine....if you're still feeling hypo I'm willing to bet that your body is struggling to convert the T4 into the much-needed T3.

If you can, I'd ask your doctor to test your free T3 and free T4, and DEFINITELY ask about T3 meds...even if you get the synthetic T3 it should help you feel better.