When to start P90X or Insanity?

Options
I always see these amazing before and after pictures for people who do P90X and Insanity and they are so inspirational! However, I'm not sure if I'm physically up to doing them. I am just under 200 lbs, and I haven't worked out super intensely pretty much ever. I'm wondering from those that have done these programs, what fitness levels did you start at? Also, how hard is it on your knees? Ever since my pregnancy and having my kid, my knees are super sensitive to high impact (if anyone has suggestions on how to alleviate that, that would be highly appreciated!). Any workouts or fitness levels you guys suggest to reach before attempting these programs? I just don't want it to be so difficult in the beginning that I only get into 15 minutes of a workout before I have to quit, especially since the DVD's are quite expensive when you're on a low budget.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try it. Some of the videos are online on YouTube. Honestly, I would recommend the Jillian Michaels 30DS first, it's much easier and will work you up from almost nothing. But there's nothing saying you can't do it a few days and see if it would be worth it to buy the DVDs.

Edited to fix typos.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Insanity may be tough, but I've worked with people over 250lbs through P90X. It's all about modification.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 9 week insanity program. let me tell you that it is hard, and at first you will need to pause and catch your breath a lot, but it will get better as your cardio picks up. You can start it at any time and at any size. I started once I reached my goal weight, so my loss in pounds wasn't that great.

I lovst1 lb, 11 inches all over and dropped 5% body fat.

You most likely will drop more then that being that you are at the weight you are at.

If you think you might want to try, give it a go. I noticed changes in my body within the first 6 days.

You can do it! Best of luck!
  • nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried P90x I was around 260 lbs. I just put it in and started doing it. Some things will definitely hurt, but even in the course it says over and over. Do your best, forget the rest. If you can't do as many as them, or the same way as them, it doesn't matter as long as you are moving and trying. Then eventually you find yourself doing more as your body gets used to the workout.
    I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt... and especially if you are doing plyometrics, there is jumping, and that can be bad on knees.. But they do have stretching/yoga options that wouldn't be bad on your knees but still get your heart going and calories burning

Good luck!
  • orville54
    orville54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I started P90X back in 2011 I was 319 lbs. I had to modify many of the moves and as I got in better shape the moves became easier. Insanity is very intense but I did manage to get through that. I didn't have to modify the moves during insanity I just had to take many breaks. With P90X you are going to needs some equipment like bands or free weights. Insanity doesn't need and special equipment. If you would like some more info on these programs just send me a message. I would be happy to share my story with you.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting with P90X.
    The one thing to remember....you don't have to keep up with the people in the videos. Go at a pace that is challenging for you, but that you can maintain throughout the duration of the workout.
    Knee braces have helped me a great deal.

Good luck.
  • DazzlnDiva
    Options
    Insanity is super tough, definitely alot tougher than P90X and I had to quit after 5 weeks because I think I was too heavy and it was giving me knee problems. I'm heavier than you though, so it might be okay for you. It is high impact and you will need proper shoes, knee braces, and an aerobic mat wouldn't hurt either. But it is doable. I'm going to attempt it again when I get under 200 in a few weeks. P90X is great, it's not high impact, but it is tough and doable especially with Tony showing you modified moves for those who need to go that route. I would try P90X first then insanity unless you take the proper precautions to protect your knees from the impact.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Before starting P90X, I got myself in pretty good shape with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and then Body Revolution.

If you have bad knees, you should work on strengthening your legs before getting into anything high impact. Squats, lunges, step ups, etc. Strength training has done wonders for my knees, but I still have to be very careful.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    For me Personally, I was kinda scared to strt P90X. My Sister bought it and wanted to start it but, i was kinda scared to start it at my then physical ability. I had lost a LOT of the muscle tone I used to have and my energy wasnt what it used to be. I started with TURBO JAM and now I am doing TURBO FIRE until July. In July, I am thinking I will join my sister in doing P90X since she started it and stopped and hasnt started back up yet!!!

If you dont feel like you will be able to keep up then work through something else. I highly suggest Turbo Jam to start or, there are also other programs like Jillian Michaels 30-day Shred...Beachbody Slim in 6...

This is just my opinion...I feel if you are not GUN-HO on starting a program, you wont stick with it. AND, if you are that scared about starting a program, again, you may not stick with it. Do some research, check-out YouTube to see what they have that you can sample and go from there. You want to make sure whatever program you choose, it is going to be something youc an stick with for the duration of the program. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Short and sweet. P90x you can start at any level and you will see results. It uses mostly weights and bands. Pullups are also involved but you can do them assisted. Some of the leg moves can be a tad hard on the knees, but knee support braces can help with that. Insanity is a knee murderer and its super intense. It uses nothing but body weight, so of course the heavier you are the more you'll be working. I would recommend some training before starting Insanity. Its not something you can go straight from the couch to without totally dying. With that said a few weeks of medium intensity cardio should be sufficient to get your body used to moving. Both are great programs that I think everyone should try at least once.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did some Insanity in college...mind you, I was 155 lbs, doing a jazz dance class, running, and completely active. It was hard as heck and I didn't last past week 1. (This was 2.5 years ago)

If you want something that has the intensity of Insanity with a little less impact (bad knees run in my family and I can injure mine easily since I'm not toned up yet) try out 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michaels). The thing I love about it is that it is still PLENTY intense, but each session is ~25 minutes (including warm-up and cool down) so it is doable when you're not in the best of shape. Also, there are modified versions of each exercise, making it easier on the knees especially for the higher impact moves in the later levels. I made it to level 3 yesterday and feel so much stronger than when I started. I started 30DS at 205 lbs and now I'm at 191 and lost a good amount of inches (didn't have a measuring tape until halfway through level 2).

This is what worked for me. I know plenty of people that did Insanity/P90X in the 200s, but it is all up to you and how it feels for your body. If you're really concerned about the intensity, talk to a doctor about it. :happy:

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

*edited for typos*
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would start with Jillian first. Use those as building blocks.
    I completely Insanity and lost alittle over 30 lbs with insanity. I than started P90X.
    If i could go back i would do P90x first and then insanity. I personally felt ( and still do feel) that nothing is better than insanity, so other work outs are lack luster to me.

It will be hard at first but like what others have said it does get better. Modify or slow down the pace until you can work your way up the program.
    Insanity is hard on the knees. I would look into knee braces or something that will give you alittle more structure. The right shoes are important as well.
  • stephcampbell77
    Options
    I have done P90x several times over the last 5 years. I would suggest losing the weight first (or some of it). Not to say you can't physically do it, but it isn't a weight loss plan. It stops weight loss dead in it's tracks lol. Just my experience and opinion of course.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You might want to do some running and basic body weight work before for a couple of months. Check out nerdfitness.com and do their basic workout 3 times per week along with cardio 3-4 times per week. After a month or two you will be ready to go.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    P90x doesnt stop weightloss if it is your first program to start with But it is more focussed on muscle growth and endurance, however insanity as the name says is insane, especialy bad for the knees if your overweight.

But there are more programs you can start with, like 30 day shred, hiphop abs, les mills bodycombat, tapout xt, i am currently doing 30 day shred in the morning and les mill at night.

Running imo is bs for weighloss really, (running period isnt the healthiest at all) most effective are HIIT workouts, tapout, insanity and less mills are good examples for that, dont be afraid to start right away, when i did insanity i hadnt workout out forever and it was a day after i stopped smoking after 16 years. Ofc you cant keep up but it will get better every week ;)
  • ameliad87
    ameliad87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I will go with doing the 30DS first since I have the DVD. I did it for about a week a month ago before I got sick with the nasty flu and just never picked it back up. After I get to my first goal weight (175), I'll take a look at P90X). Anyone can me add as a friend, it'd be great to have the motivation :)
  • ProjectActionFigure
    Options
    P90X is a great workout. I'd recommend getting it and doing the Lean program. When you buy P90X from Beachbody, you get 3 workout schedules. Lean, Classic and Doubles. You can view my before and after pictures on my blog.

http://www.XFitOnline.com