too much fast food?

Options
Ok so I've live in my area for 7 years now and as I went to pick up strawberries that are on sale I realized how many fast food restaurants are around me......Now I literally live 5-10 minute walk from all this......2 mcdonalds, burger king, wendys, taco bell, arbys, harveys, 2 A&w, Pizza hut, new york fries, Zehrs (they have a hot delit) and Sobeys (hot deli).....And I thought to myself "is all this fast food necessary?" And that's not including Ming Wahs all you can eat chinese buffet and the other resaurants within walking distance. My only really healthy options around me for "fast food" are subway and pita pit. I just thought it was crazy that I didn't realize how much was actually around me and it actually disgusted me......I came home and ate an apple lol. Does anybody else live in an area that's this packed with junk? I'm curious now.

Replies

• FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Within the same distance from my home there are - 4 chip shops, 3 chinese takeaways, a greasy spoon, a mcdonalds, and subway.

If you want a salad near me, you're best off going to to grocers and making your own, no fast goodness here.
  • HOLLEE85
    Options
    It's sad to think about.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm glad I don't have to drive too far!!! Fast food is okay once in awhile IF you actually like it. Like anything else in life, a moderate portion won't kill you and for many like me, enjoy the food.
    Like anything else, including "health food", if over consumed, people will put on weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thats America. You cant go ANYWHERE, except small towns with a population of 100 without being surrounded by fast food.

RESIST THE TEMPTATION! :)
  • silverainn
    Options
    The only places you can get fast food where I live are downtown (20 minute walk) or a large shopping center near the airport (45 minute walk). No McDonald's, mostly pizza and kebab shops. There aren't really any meatless options (and my boyfriend hates pizza anyway), so it's not really a temptation. The only affordable places to eat out here on a student budget are a vegetarian cafe and a cafe that serves healthy African food. In one way it's a bit boring on the rare occasion I'd like to go out, but at least it forces me to cook all of my own meals. On the downside, the choice and quality of non-meat fresh ingredients isn't that great either!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of great restaurants in my area , there's a few coffee shops, Chinese restaurants, 1 McDonald's, 1 Wendy's but for the most part you can find a healthy place at any point, and if you can't just pick the healthiest menu item.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    In the five miles between where I live and my gym there is: Arbys, Little Ceasers, Pizza Hut, two Starbuks (weankess 1), McDonalds, Long John Silver, Burger King, Wendy's, Panera (weakness 2), Chic Fil A, Hardees, Sonic, a Thai place, two Mexican places, two Chinese places, Awful Arthurs, Subway, and international/mediterranean place, and a couple local places and four grocery stores.

And I don't live in a huge city like DC. The city population is only about 97,000. So, yes, it is a decent size, but that's still a LOT of food.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Much the same near here, not mega multi chains, but still chip shops, Chinese / Indian take ways. pizza places & KFC look a likes abound

A couple of bright spots, but not for us on a diet, are some tea rooms, loads of cream cakes, full English breakfasts & the like

Salads from Lidl, DIY
  • hrubyk1804
    Options
    Ohhh...it's all evil. LOL
    I can't get away from it! And I try so hard! :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm actually kind of jealous. Both where I work and where I live are surrounded by real restaurants, with real restaurant prices. It's like, "Can I just buy a frigging chicken sandwich for $5 please?"
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I live on the very edge of town so there is nothing near me, but gas stations. But I get what you're saying. Just a few miles down the road there are plenty of restaurants and fast food!
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I live in Smyrna (just North West of Atlanta, right outside the perimeter), and within 5 miles I can't even name everything; at least 3 McDonald's, two Taco Bells, Burger King, Krystals, two Panda Expresses, Wendy's, Arby's, Hardy's, two or three Subways, two Jersey Mikes, two Willy's, two or three Moe's, Chipotle, three Chic Fil-A's, countless bars, numerous restaurants, and a mall with a food court.

I'm sure I left a lot out...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    There's 2 chinese places, a Tim Hortons, Burger King, Subway, Taco Hut (Pizza Hut/Taco Bell), a Speedway (gas station food), and a Penn Station all within walking distance of work/home (I live practically 2 intersections from where I work). A bit farther down the road there's a Panera, DQ, Chipolte, Firehouse Subs, etc). If I have to eat out for lunch, I typically pick Subway or Chipotle. Neither is 'healthy" but they are better than the others.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Welcome to America. Can I get a heart attack for $0.99 please? The cheaper & greasier they are, the longer the line at the drive thru.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    In my little suburban centre there is McDonald's, Wendy's, Dairy Queen, Pizza 73, Little Cesar's, KFC, Tim Horton's, Starbucks, Taco Time, Quizno's, Wok Box, Bad *kitten* Jacks, Booster Juice, Boston Pizza and Montana's. Oh and a little sandwich shops. I know there is a couple ok options in there but still! That is ridiculous for just a neighbourhood area. Although I have heard that Saskatoon has the most restaurants per capita in Canada!
  • aften_g
    aften_g Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm so lucky to live in my small town in Kansas, it has a population of around 800, and is a mile by a mile so you can walk everywhere you need to go. Has 1 grocery store, general store, 2 resteraunts, and a gas station. We have to drive 30 miles to go to a Wal-Mart, MickeyD's, Subway, Dairy Queen, and Pizza Hut. It helps keep me on track since there is so little temptation. The resteraunts have great healthy options and even though the gas station sells pizza, it's really pricey so we don't have it very often. I'm most thankful for the fact I can walk everywhere, to work, to the school, the courthouse, post office, store. Anywhere! Love it!