Yellow watermelon ???????!

Options
At the grocery store today i saw the typical wedges of watermelon for sale for roughly $1-$2 then next to it i saw these brightly colored yellow watermelon wedges! I got so excited i grabbed one, then when i saw the price tag i immediatly put it back. it was around the same price as a whole chicken !!! i'd be better to save my money and get something with a little more substance.

But i've never seen yellow watermelon before. what does it taste like? has anyone had it? i wish it was cheaper.. when is the yellow watermelon season?

Replies

• NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I live in Thailand it's pretty common here but I haven't tasted it. I've heard it tastes the same as pink/red watermelon but I am not sure.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    golden watermelon is absolutely delicious. A woman I work with grows it in her garden and brings it in, OMG. yummy
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Its not quite melon season here yet. They should be much cheaper in a few weeks. And yes i Have had it. Yummy as regular watermelon. Maybe even sweeter. I get them for a good price at the Farmer's Market.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    It is expensive and I don't know why. Taste just like the other watermelon to me. It isn't worth the extra money. If it was something different I would say maybe as a treat, but isn't anything special to me.
  • joydayval
    Options
    I bet it tastes just like regular watermelon! However, I saw some apples the other day that are marketed to taste like grapes. I haven't tried those either:)
  • Fat2FitQueen
    Fat2FitQueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    omgosh delish u have 2 try it 4 urself though as we all like different things but 2 me its better then the red...i use 2 eat it alot when i was pregnant with my son...he's going on 12 now lol...:heart:
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I bet it tastes just like regular watermelon! However, I saw some apples the other day that are marketed to taste like grapes. I haven't tried those either:)

You mean a Grapple? They're awesome!
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    I had a customer who has a farm & he grew watermelons, so he gave me one. I got excited & took it home & it was yellow inside I FREAKED out & threw it away. Ha I thought it went bad. I have never seen one since, & i didn't realize they were so expensive?
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Grapples are good and were priced similar to other expensive apples when I tried them.

I've been looking for different colored carrots, I've seen pictures of them but not seen them for sale.

Edit:
    559px-carrots_of_many_colors_cutout.jpg?w=279
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    hahahaha Its a mind trip. They're BRIGHT YELLOW but taste EXACTLY like traditional watermelon, in my opinion.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I grow yellow watermelon every year. They are just for fun though, since they taste just like reg watermelon to me but they are so pretty all cut up in a fruit salad.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Grapples are good and were priced similar to other expensive apples when I tried them.

I've been looking for different colored carrots, I've seen pictures of them but not seen them for sale.

Edit:
    559px-carrots_of_many_colors_cutout.jpg?w=279

I have never heard nor seen a grapple so will be on the hunt!!! as for the colorful carrots, I find them plentiful at farmers' markets in the summer so you may try there. They are delish.

and as for the orginal post... have had yellow watermelon and it's wonderfully sweet. I haven't had to pay too much of a price differential for it... I think the price may higher because it is more of a specialty (not as plentiful). Fun to do if you are having a fruit salad and opting for various colorful additions!