Seeking advice on how to give advice

Options
Hello everyone, I work in a manufacturing environment and am fortunate enough to have a gym available to me at work. It has treadmills, an elliptical, bike, freeweights, kettlebells, and a few nautilus machines. Of course since it is January, the NYR's are in full effect. I was talking to one of my coworkers the other day and she asked what I was doing for my diet and exercise and I told her, then she went on to say that she was eating onlt 500 calories per day to get a "jump start" on her weight loss. I tried to explain BMR and she wasn't having any of that. She said once she gets her jump start she was going to start eating more.

I spoke with our safety manager and she has agreed to try and get a nutritionist/dietitian to come in for a lunch seminar but that won't be for a few weeks yet. My question to all of my brothers and sisters out there is, what can I do or show this person to try and convince her that what she is doing is potentially more detrimental than beneficial?

Replies

• cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.....
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When she is so weak from starving herself and she binges, perhaps then she will listen to you.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I'm hoping, for her sake, that she quits like she has before.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'd say you've probably done all you can do. Being a male talking to a female, she's much less likely to listen than if her BFF came to her and told her about this "amazing thing she'd been doing and seeing results with." Hopefully the nutritionist can get through to her. :)