stength training??

suziblues2000
suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I think I need to start doing "strength training" but I don't even know how to go about this. I don't have any weights or anything like that. I have a treadmill and thats it as far as exercise equipment goes.
So, my question is, what should I do for strength training? Is that basically doing push ups etc? Is there a web site that shows how to do this kind of exercise? I know very little about it!
THANKS!

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    check out zuzanna at bodyrocktv.com, she uses next to o equipment and her workouts are not easy! she uses a step lader, water bottles,..you name it. Push ups pull ups dips, all strength work.
  • http://hundredpushups.com/ is a good site of how to build strengh im trying it now it may be hard but can be done and is so rewarding and the best thing is all you need is a floor (maybe carpet just incase any misshaps)
  • MirandaB24
    MirandaB24 Posts: 54 Member
    The biggest loser Boot Camp video is great. all you need are some hand weights. i started with 4 lbs. its cardio with strength training, so its an awesome workout. it also has 3 levels so you can stars gradually.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    You can use anything for weights really. Cans, water bottles, fill empty plastic water bottles with sand, fill a backpack with rocks - a sock with rocks. Get creative. :smile:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    check out zuzanna at bodyrocktv.com, she uses next to o equipment and her workouts are not easy! she uses a step lader, water bottles,..you name it. Push ups pull ups dips, all strength work.

I second the recommendation to check out Bodyrock.tv. She has a lot of workouts that include minimal pieces of "equipment" that everyone has around. But yes, they workouts are tough. Don't let that intimidate you! Modify, start slow and you will see phenomenal progress!
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Yup I totally agree with bodyrocktv. I started using this a few months ago and have had great results already. i have tried to do a different workout 5 times a week, its v hard but its great because there are so many different workouts to choose from that you will never get bored.
  • bjandlm
    bjandlm Posts: 75
    Hi Suzyblues, a good start to strength training is to begin with small dumbbells, a 5lb and a 8lb set would be a good start. There
    are lots of exercises that you can do with dumbbells, and they are not that expensive. I got a beginning weight training book to help
    me get started. Good Luck to you! Whatever you do, have fun with it! :smile:
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    I might have to check out bodyrock.tv myself!

My coworker showed me this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5_routines_for_women.htm

I've been trying to do the "heavy duty to failure" workouts and some of them are difficult because I don't quite have the appropriate equipment, but I've just been modifying as I need to.

Good luck!
  • Have you considered resistance bands?
    I started using these a few weeks back along with my regular workout and it really has made a huge difference.
    There very inexpensive and you can get alot of informations and strength training rotuines from the internet using resistance bands.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Another plug from me for

stumptuous.com

Lots of great information and some workout ideas.
This discussion has been closed.