Reasonable/realistic goals?

Options
Well im on the right path with my weightloss now (at least for the moment lol) and i was thinking about Fitness, I'm spending a lot of time doing cardio at the moment (which i've never gotten on with before but secretly am starting to enjoy lol) and started to think i need fitness goals as well as weightloss ones. For me the ultimate goal would be either to finish the london marathon and/or a triathlon event at a higher level (i think Iron man might be a little optimistic but something higher than the beginner short sprint events *400m swim 15-20km ride, 5km run*)
So far *and this is once ive hit my fighting weight* my goals are

1) Get Swimming!
2) 5k run
3) 10k run
4) Bikeathon *local 26mile cycle event*
5) Join local triathlon club
6) London Marathon

The first goal i will start asap but as for the rest, Assuming i hit my final target weight this year and maintain it I was hoping to do the 5/10k runs and bikeathon next year (the events seem to run between may and august i think) then maybe join the triathlon club once ive done that and enter the marathon the following year.

I know that its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but does that sound like reasonable goals for a very overweight but extremely motivated and determined 31 year old? I can already jog 5k but want to properly run it and i still have 40lbs to lose before im at my goal *but would probably lose another 10lb or so to do the marathon.

This is a genuine question and im not trying to make light of triathletes or marathon runners, i know it will take a lot of discipline to hit those goals so please dont berate me for asking this lol

Many thanks, Connor.

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    Options
    Sounds good to me. You know your body better than anyone else if you think you can do it and stay healthy thats great! Good luck!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am by NO means an endurance athlete, but I think those are totally reasonable goals. I have done a couple of sprint triathlons and I have spent some time on some triathlon message boards and there were some people who were much older and more overweight than you who did all of these things.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've always just concentrated on losing weight, but now i AM losing weight im starting to think of how to keep it off and the best way i can think of is being as active as i possibly can, im not talking of anything competitive here, just personal challenges and things to keep me motivated. :0)
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I've always just concentrated on losing weight, but now i AM losing weight im starting to think of how to keep it off and the best way i can think of is being as active as i possibly can, im not talking of anything competitive here, just personal challenges and things to keep me motivated. :0)

I think that's great. Why not start shooting for those goals NOW instead of waiting?
  • FitbitConnor
    Options
    Well i kind of am by losing weight, im doing some cardo 6 days a week strength training three times a week and calorie counting but i dont want do the 5-10k events until ive got my weight right down so i can run them comfortably without needing new knee joints afterwards lol the thing is, the events im looking at are annual and are only a couple of months away so i know i wont be able to run them properly, i might consider joining the triathlete club earlier but only once i can put on a full body swimsuit without thinking that all i need now is a pair of tusks and to keep the hell away from killer whales...
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and obese and I started exercising in January (elliptical machine). I'm just now starting the 5K101 program which is like the better known Couch to 5K program (both are great!). I plan on running a 5K this summer but I don't plan on being competitive - just finishing it still running :wink: I'm also going to do a mini-tri in August with my sisters! Again my goal is to finish not to place! I just want to be able to do it! I've joined (two week free trial stage now) a gym and I'm swimming laps - although I can't swim the crawl a full lap yet I know I'll work into it! I'm also using the bike machines and hoping to take some spinning classes to get ready for the bike part.

I find the Marathon idea pretty intimidating by I'd like to be able to finish one when I'm 50! I might try some half marathons in 2011 or 2012...
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Well i kind of am by losing weight, im doing some cardo 6 days a week strength training three times a week and calorie counting but i dont want do the 5-10k events until ive got my weight right down so i can run them comfortably without needing new knee joints afterwards lol

I hear you! The most overweight I've ever been was about 30 lbs and losing even that made my knees feel so much better. I'm starting to train for another 5K. It is easier this time around than it was in the past because I can tell my cardiovascular endurance is better. I can already feel it in my knees though. Running is hard on the joints, no way around it.

Swimming is a great start and, at least for me, was the hardest part of the triathlon. Also, biking is good and much easier on the knees (provided your bike is adjusted correctly).

Sounds like you are making great progress. Way to keep motivated!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do it! nobody is born a marathoner or triathlete - every single person has to work to get there! thats the beauty of it! If you are as motivated as the current iron man what makes you less able to shoot for the same goal? We had a sign in our high school gym that said "you become an athlete the moment you start training like one." No matter where you start!
  • FitbitConnor
    Options
    Thats really cool, thanks! at the beginning of the year i was well over 250lbs and i can already feel the difference a little, its amazing what things like this website and some iphone apps can do lol The C25K one in particular has been amazing for motivation. I caught a bug on wk4 of c25k and didnt get back into it quick enough once i got better, so i went back to week 3 and the difference was amazing! my breathing was much more controlled, i never really felt exhausted at all and the first time around i thought i would keel over lol