Question for the runners.

Options
I am about 3 months into my exercising/weight loss program. I started out at 10 miutes of walking, 15 minutes slow jog, 5 minutes walk (all on treadmill). I have been increasing the running, either in speed or length over time and this week I started 5 min walk, 30 minute run at 12 minute mile pace, 5 minute walk. I do this monday thru friday, taking the weekend off. My concern is that I am more sore after this jump than I have been at any other increase. Not hurting, but sore. I'm not looking to be able to run a marathon, or anything, just looking to shed a few pounds and be more fit in the process.

My question is, how many of you run 5 days straight? Am I being counter productive in doing so? I definately notice monday being easier than tuesday, and tuesday was easier than today, but not unbearable.

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    TTT
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I actually run every other day, walk and bodyweight exercises on the off days... i had read in one of dsjohndrow's blog (gotta name-check dave, he's been pretty busy lately :D) that it's a good idea to give those muscles a rest... also - the jump from 15 minutes running to 30 minutes running is pretty significant - if you still want to run every day, you might want to build up more slowly (15 --> 17 -- >21, etc.).

either way - welcome to the club!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert, but if you're looking to shed weight with running you might want to try intervals.

That is awesome that you can do 30 min at a 5mph pace, but you might want to try jog, sprint, jog, sprint. So maybe do 60 sec jog, then 15 second sprint, and do this for a while (15-20 minutes). Once your endurance increases, you may want to do 60/30, or even 30/30 (30 sec jog 30 sec sprint).

I used to do that on the treadmill. 30 seconds at 5.5 mph, then 30 sec at 7mph... 30 sec 5.5... etc etc.. I saw huge results from this vs. just always jogging at the same pace like I used to do.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am by no means calling myself a "runner", but I do run at least a 5K five days a week. I had to build to that though....I get sore also, and I take a rest day. It is amazing how much better I perform after 1 days rest. You will have to find what works best for you though. Don't push it if it gets uncomfortable.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you shouldn't increase running distance by more than 10% every week or so to help reduce the risk of injury. If you've gone from 15 mintues running to 30 minutes running you are adding way more than 10%. If the same workout is getting progressively harder as the week goes on then I would say that you need a rest day in there somewhere. Maybe take a day off on Wednesday to give your muscles a chance to recover. I only run 5 days a week when I am training for a race..........
  • RonandDi
    Options
    Thanks for the advice gang.

BTW...I didn't go from 15 min to 30 min in one step....it was over the course of about 3 or 4 different steps. But, I feel like I'm getting there. I never thought I woudl be able to run a 5K, but I guess I'm not that far away.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not a runner. But I am trying.

I do not run every day. I give my body at least two days off of running between sessions. I still work out, I just do something else. With at least one of those days being complete lower body rest. My workout schedule is something like:

Sun: 1 hr Run
    Mon: 1 hr kick boxing
    Tues: 1 hr Upper body only (I use a paddling machine - kind of like a rowing machine but for paddlers - or canoe on the river in the warmer months)
    Wed: 1 hr Run
    Thurs: 1 hr Spin class
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 1 hr kick boxing & 1 hr yoga

I also travel at least one week every other month or so and use that as a recovery week. I also don't get upset if I miss a workout or two in a week. My body needs recovery time as it gets older.

All in all, I think you need a break.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I always try to have a rest day inbetween running, sometimes I'll get two run days together but then I'm not running any more in distance or time than I'm already used to if that happens. Why not add some strength training on your rest days (if you're not already doing this), it will strengthen muscles that support your joints which will help with your running and help to prevent injury. Build up your running slowly, if you haven't already heard of couch to 5k have a look into that - a slow build up with your running helps to prevent injury too :)
  • RonandDi
    Options
    For the past 3 months I have been spending 30 minutes on the treadmill walking/running (working my way up in time and speed) and then I do the 11 minute workout with the resistance bands and finish it off with some push-ups and sit-ups. Monday was the first day I bumped the treadmill up to 40 minutes (5 walk/30 run/5 walk). I have been really surprised at how I have felt. Not hurting, and for the most part, only a little sore for a short time when I increase.

I just didn't know how many people run 5 days a week. (knock on wood, my knees and ankles are holding up very well for a 40+ year old)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week-but not consecutively. My max is 3 in a row before I need a day off (4 sometimes if I will be taking the following 2 days off). 5 days a week is ok, but try spacing them out a little and/or cut back to 4 days until you are more comfortable.

From what I understand, the actual building of muscle and strength and what not occurs during rest and not the actual activity (the activity is what creates the need for the building). If you're not resting enough between runs, you're not getting all the gains that occur during rest. You're just stressing your body and running it into the ground.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I put in miles 4 days a week along with other cardio and strength training. I used to do my miles (mostly walking before, but enough to get me through 5 Half Marathons) Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday mainly b/c those days were the most convenient for me. I found that on Monday, I was pretty burnt out on it. I changed my Friday miles to Wednesday and found that to be a great idea. I can give more on those three days in a row. I now run for most of my workouts and even with a little walking can still average 5 mph. My legs (and my mind!) needed a rest between those workouts.

Good luck!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i've heard you are supposed to take a rest day in between running to avoid issues with your knees (unless you're training for an event). i run at most every other day, on the same days that i weight lift, and then do yoga/cycle/turbo kick/etc on the alternate days.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are so many other things besides running that you can do to get fit! Mix it up, keep it interesting, let your body rest. Plus, if you do decide to do more with your running to increase speed and/or distance, it can really benefit you to do some strength training and active rest days (walk, yoga, etc).
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I AM a runner. Been one long enough that I don't have trouble upping mileage, even re-starting running at 5 miles a day.

I run 5 days a week (often in a row). I do light cross training the other two days because I just get itchy sitting still. Right now I'm averaging about 30 miles a week but it's increasing for an upcoming race.

The 10% is a myth (runnersworld and coolrunning both have decent articles on this). The most important thing is to listen to your body. The trick is not just listening to it, but understanding what is says. Your body is telling you something, and you've heard it (fabulous!) but now you need to figure out what it's saying...

When you say you are "sore" is it general, total body soreness? Or is it specific things, like knees, hips, ankles, back? Just joints, or muscles too? Hurts all the time, or when you make specific movements?

If it's overall, everything general kind of soreness, and it eases off when you have rest days, consider running 3-2 or 2-3 instead of 5 on 2 off. (so W-W-R-W-W-W-R where w = run, r = rest). It just might be that you need to break up your rest days. If it's only been a week or two, and the soreness doesn't make you limp or limit your non-workout activities (i.e. you can still move like a normal person), just keep going. If it's continually getting worse, interferes with your normal movements (you move like a 100 year old person), or it's been longer than about two weeks at the new distance, it's time to change the plan.

If it's specific pain, it might be due to form or shoe issues. Knee, ankle, hip, and back pain in particular will start to raise their fugly heads (sometimes all at once) around the distances you're putting in each week if you've got the wrong shoes, have poor form (it's harder than you think), or if you don't stretch out properly (dynamic stretching, at least after running).

Asymmetrical pain is often indicative of an actual injury - so if one knee hurts, or one side hurts, go see a sports medicine doc.

A little soreness isn't the end of the world - even increasing pain, sharp pain, pain that interferes with life won't be the end of your running, if you address it early and vigorously.
  • RonandDi
    Options
    ejwme, thanks for the info. Like I said, I don't "hurt" or have "pain", it is just general sore muscles. Nothing out of the norm for a good workout, and to be honest, I expect it to ease up and go away after a few days of the new workout. I think I'll try a day off in the middle of the week just to see how I feel. I definately like running on day one of a 5 day streatch more than day 5.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I run every second day - each week consists of three 5km runs and one 10km run.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I run 6 days a week because my dog insists on it. :) If I have a sore or unusually tired day, I will take it easier or walk instead, but over time my body has acclimated well to the routine.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run 6 days a week and am often a little sore somewhere.

Whenever you increase either the duration or intensity of running some soreness is pretty normal. as your body adapts to the new distance the soreness will go away. That should happen pretty quickly, in a week or two.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    ejwme, thanks for the info. Like I said, I don't "hurt" or have "pain", it is just general sore muscles. Nothing out of the norm for a good workout, and to be honest, I expect it to ease up and go away after a few days of the new workout. I think I'll try a day off in the middle of the week just to see how I feel. I definately like running on day one of a 5 day streatch more than day 5.

That sounds like an excellent plan. If it doesn't ease up after a week or two, don't be shy about a sports medicine doctor - they're not just for pro football teams. They're for people who use their body vigorously, on a regular basis, just like you.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    In another observational study, researchers tracked over 52,000 people for 30 years. Overall, runners had a 19 percent lower death risk than non-runners. However, the health benefits of exercise seemed to diminish among people who ran more than 20 miles a week, more than six days a week, or faster than eight miles an hour. The sweet spot appears to be five to 19 miles per week at a pace of six to seven miles per hour, spread throughout three or four sessions per week. Runners who followed these guidelines reaped the greatest health benefits: their risk of death dropped by 25 percent, according to results published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

Just read this today under Active.com site. It is a good article!