More evidence for Not Eating Late

Options
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/01/30/170591028/to-maximize-weight-loss-eat-early-in-the-day-not-late
A new study published in the International Journal of Obesity builds on previous studies that suggest it's best not to eat too many calories late in the day.

The Spanish study finds that dieters who ate their main meal before 3 p.m. lost significantly more weight than those who ate later in the day. This held true even though the early eaters were eating roughly the same number of calories during the five-month weight-loss study as their night-owl counterparts.

The study included 420 overweight and obese volunteers who lived in the Mediterranean seaside town of Murcia, Spain. Their average age was 42. Half were men, half women. Their midday meal constituted about 40 percent of their diet of roughly 1,400 calories a day, on average. Right — that's not a lot of calories. The average nondieting American eats about 2,700 calories a day, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

On average, the early eaters in the Spanish study lost 22 pounds, compared with the late eaters who lost 17 pounds.

This makes me sad, because I eat most of my calories after 6:00! It's 11:30 and I haven't wanted to eat at all today.

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Are these people self-selected or random? If self-selected, I have very little confidence in the results. It could be that there's just something about Spaniards who choose to eat late that's different from Spaniards who choose to eat early. Maybe they're lazy. Maybe they drink more. Maybe they don't log as accurately.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    From the study linked in the story.

Surprisingly, energy intake, dietary composition, estimated energy expenditure, appetite hormones and sleep duration was similar between both groups. Nevertheless,

The bold part could be one of the reasons for the 5lb variance in 20 weeks.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I would like to see what kinds of foods they are eating - Spaniards typically eat their biggest meal mid afternoon. The ones eating their big meal late are probably stressing out about having such a weird schedule!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    They can "suggest" it. But I've taught the majority of my clients that meal timing doesn't matter and they are reaching their goals even if they are eating well after 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 pm

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    OP, eat when you want. The MFP police won't come to your house; promise :laugh:
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    In the big picture I cannot see how it would make a difference. Maybe the weigh ins were early in the morning?
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I also find that if I eat a salty meal late in the evening, it's more likely to effect my weigh in in the morning, plus then the weight of the food itself may still be around. It's gone in a day or so. So I qustion if this is "real" weight as the difference over 20 weeks isn't a huge one.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Every time the meal timing question comes up, I have to ask: what if you're eating dinner on a plane and you cross time zones? Or what about daylight savings time? If I have to stop eating at 6PM, does that get pushed back to 7PM when we spring forward?

So far, I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer, which tells me that meal timing doesn't matter much.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The time of day I choose to eat my meals has never prevented me from maintaining a healthy weight or hindered my progress. I eat dinner every evening 8:30 ish and even save a few cals for a treat before bed. No problems for me!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing self reported intake and activity levels based on 3 - 7d recalls? If so, those are usually really really accurate
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I expect it is different for different people. I lose weight much more easily if I eat my biggest meal earlier in the day. It's challenging, though, because of social and family obligations that revolve around dinner.

"Every time the meal timing question comes up, I have to ask: what if you're eating dinner on a plane and you cross time zones? Or what about daylight savings time? If I have to stop eating at 6PM, does that get pushed back to 7PM when we spring forward? "

Most likely it isn't the exact time that matters so much as the number of hours between your last meal and when you go to bed.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We've always been a healthy weight. My husband works late and I like to eat post gym. We eat at 8:30 and this has worked well for us since 1998. I eat breakfast around 9am and lunch at Noon. Snacks in between. I don't think time of day matters--if it did there would be more overweight people in places like Italy, France, and Spain. My friend from Italy said (in a complimentary way) we eat like we're from Italy. I would not change our schedule for the world.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/01/30/170591028/to-maximize-weight-loss-eat-early-in-the-day-not-late
    A new study published in the International Journal of Obesity builds on previous studies that suggest it's best not to eat too many calories late in the day.

The Spanish study finds that dieters who ate their main meal before 3 p.m. lost significantly more weight than those who ate later in the day. This held true even though the early eaters were eating roughly the same number of calories during the five-month weight-loss study as their night-owl counterparts.

The study included 420 overweight and obese volunteers who lived in the Mediterranean seaside town of Murcia, Spain. Their average age was 42. Half were men, half women. Their midday meal constituted about 40 percent of their diet of roughly 1,400 calories a day, on average. Right — that's not a lot of calories. The average nondieting American eats about 2,700 calories a day, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

On average, the early eaters in the Spanish study lost 22 pounds, compared with the late eaters who lost 17 pounds.

This makes me sad, because I eat most of my calories after 6:00! It's 11:30 and I haven't wanted to eat at all today.

Don't be sad. I've explained why eating late works in my house. :) Bear in mind it's post-workout.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    5lbs difference over 20 weeks is not something I would worry about - even if it did hold some truth to it (which I still don't believe)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's not like I'll be changing my habits. I feel physically better when I eat later, so even if I lose weight slower, that's just how it's gonna be.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating late has just made me into a tub of lard.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    They all lost weight, some a little slower than others, apparently the slower you lose the easier it is to keep the weight off, I think I'll keep eating whenever I'm hungry :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • luperaz
    luperaz Posts: 26
    Options
    5lbs difference over 20 weeks is not something I would worry about - even if it did hold some truth to it (which I still don't believe)

Exactly 5lbs in 20 weeks is just noise. If you stay true to your caloric goals you are going to lose weight. Its as simple as that.
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lived in Spain and they don't eat lunch before 2pm and dinner NEVER before 9pm. I was working in a French company and we were the only ones eating out in restaurants at 1.30pm... So their definition of "early eater" must be really different from the US definition :)

Anyway, just do what works for you & makes you feel good
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing to dieting is finding an eating plan you can stick with long term and that will be easily to adjust to maintenance. For me this means a small calorie deficit, the inclusion of all foods, and eating whenever. If I try to be too strict, I'll give up and just stop trying.