suggestions pleeeeaaaassseee

Options
Ok, I'm so frustrated it isn't even funny. Here's the deal - I've been logging in for over 40 days and have lost .5 lbs. That's right .5. In 40 days!!! Gross. I need some suggestions. I'm starting to think that because I'm eating my exercise cals I'm not losing. I basically have just a few excess lbs that I want to get rid of, but I thought that I'd definitely be down more than .5 at this point. I've been exercising anywhere from 3-4 days/week (which was my goal so I'm happy about that) and have a 1200 cal limit. From what I've been entering, I've basically been eating just about the same amount of cals as I do normally (maybe a little more before but not much). I run around constantly (even before starting MFP) have 5 kids, rarely sit down and now I've been exercising on top of it all. Is it possible that I'm eating more than I was before starting MFP because I now am trying to get to 1200? AND, does that mean that I may not need 1200 as a minimun, but actually less? I expected at least 2 lbs by now! I'm not very tall (about 5 feet) - sounds silly, but does that affect the calories I need and should they be less because I'm smaller? vent, vent, vent. Sorry, but any ideas would be great. I really want to get down to my size when I first lost weight about 7 years ago which is about 112 (which for me being so small is actually a decent weight). Now to be fair and honest, I still have the sweet treats (lower fat versions than my normal) that fit into my cal amount but have also gone over a handful of days during the time I've been doing this. Does anyone have any ideas what the hold up may be? Is it because I'm working with a 5 lb window that I'm trying to lose? Should I focus on the right eating and the rest will come (in a while it seems?) sorry for the stress.......just looking for some reassurance I guess so I won't just jump back into old habits because this isn't working the way I expected it to... I was so excited to get myself together with the help of MFP.

Replies

• vixey2906
    vixey2906 Posts: 30
    Options
    If you go on the BMR on the tools tab it says how many calories you burn in a day if you sat and did nothing. Im 5'10 and burn 1500, so eating these 1200 cals puts me a -300 calories each day anyway whereas my friend whos joined is 5'3 and according to that only burns 1250 so if she eats the 1200 she would only be at -50cals a day so I do think the height may be making a difference. However obviously as everyone says eating 1200 puts you into "starvation mode" so Im not sure I'd suggest it. But if you think you are eating more than you used to to try and meet the 1200 calories then try just eating when hungry/what you did before and see if its lower? I know thats kinda hard as when on a diet all you think about is food! But it might help you to see :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    where she is so tiny however, the 1200 rule may not apply. Everybody and every body is different, 1200 is not the magic set-in-stone number, it's just a general guideline for "most" people.

Just exercise, eat healthy foods when hungry, and don't eat if you don't feel hungry. Occasionally I'll be at 1100 or so and I'm done for the day, if I'm not hungry and it's bedtime, I'm not going to FORCE myself to eat something else, 1100 is good enough that day...
  • jrcantrall
    Options
    don't eat after 7pm. nothing with calories. Also make sure you're getting enough calcium. I find when I slip on those, I can't loose a thing.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Definitely figure up your BMR. This will tell you approximately how many calories your body burns if you never even got out of bed. What types of exercise are you doing, for how long, and what intensity? Are you fairly close on figuring how many calories you burn per workout? I agree with Robin on the 1200. If you have thyroid issues, then 1200 may be too much; but otherwise, I wouldn't recommend going below that number. Do you use a heart rate monitor?

Are you eating every 2.5 - 3 hrs.? What kinds of food are you eating? Try to cut out most if not all processed foods and regular sodas. Cut down on sugar, or completely cut it out of your diet. Eat whole grains/whole wheat. Drink at least 64 oz. of water every day. Eat lots of fresh fruits & veggies (frozen is ok too).

Do 2 - 3 days of strength training, and 3 - 5 days of cardio, at least 30 min. each day. Take 1 rest day and do nothing, or just stretch.

Make healthy choices on food. It's ok to have treats once in awhile, but I wouldn't make them a regular part of your diet. Make yourself EARN them.

If you burn more calories than you eat, you should lose weight. It took me 3 months to lose 5 lbs. so I know you can do it! Hang in there and keep switching things up until you find something that works for you. But don't starve yourself in the process! You can do it!!!!
  • gpies
    gpies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses. I'm feeling heavy hearted with all this and I know I should be just in the "be healthy" frame of mind, but it was boggling to me that nothing is budging. I appreciate the feedback and hope to send some positive results out there after some of the suggestions. Thanks everyone!!
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses. I'm feeling heavy hearted with all this and I know I should be just in the "be healthy" frame of mind, but it was boggling to me that nothing is budging. I appreciate the feedback and hope to send some positive results out there after some of the suggestions. Thanks everyone!!
    keep your head up hun!! how tall are u if u dont mind me asking...a nutrionist told me 1,000cals was sufficient enough for me because I'm 4'10 and weighed 125lbs at the time....and so long as u stay healthy and keep at it eventually it will come off :smile:

And I usually dont recommend workouts and what not, but I'm finding power 90 to be really effective...I just started it and I've already lost 2 and a half inches off my waist....it's deffinately a good work out, but it can be difficult....so worth it tho and the way the creator designed it...it helps u get rid of weight pretty fast and if not weight atleast inches
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    have you tried measuring, rather than weighing?? maybe you are losing inches, gaining muscle? i also agree with all the above suggestions.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a couple of fitness trainers that losing the last few pounds (~10 or fewer) is a totally different animal. That's because your body is already at a healthy weight. So, when you are carrying a lot of extra weight, your body actually WANTS to get rid of that excess weight. But when you are already at a healthy weight, you have to coax your body into letting go of the last few pounds because it is keeping it there "just in case" (of a famine). I'm currently in the exact same place and I've been playing around a bit with my calories. You might find that you actually need to up your calories a couple hundred calories. Play around with different things and different workouts and don't bring the calories too low or your body will hold on to those pounds even more (that's how I understand it, at least).
  • gpies
    gpies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm just right about 5 feet and I went on the BMR tool and it came out at about 1100 cals. So maybe I do need to drop down my cals. I've also been looking for any great workouts - I've been toying with P90X . I may adjust some things to see what happens over the next couple of weeks. I've been about 20 lbs heavier in the past than I am now but then lost it and was about 7 lbs less than I am at the moment. So I know I can do it - back then WWatchers was the help for me but I've been trying to do this time around on my own to lose a bit, tone and get healthier.