Food vs Exercise

Options
Hi :)

I exercise 2 hours everyday which requires me to eat the correct foods to give me the right balance of nutrition for my body was wondering is 1200 cals enough for my body to be able to carry out my exercise all thoughts welcome xxx

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    That depends on your weight and the type of exercise. If you weight 90 pounds and are walking for 2 hours, then you're probably OK. If not, then 1200 is too low.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    1200 cals for 2 hours of any exercise is no where near high enough
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I exercise 2 hours everyday which requires me to eat the correct foods to give me the right balance of nutrition for my body was wondering is 1200 cals enough for my body to be able to carry out my exercise all thoughts welcome xxx

1200 isn't enough for most people that do no exercise let along 2 hours of exercise.

essentially MFP has you lose your goal amount of weight by eating 1200 calories and not exercising, so when you exercise you need to eat more to fuel the workouts, otherwise you can do some damage to your body.

Say you burn 700 calories from exercise and only eat 1200, that would be like eating 500 calories with no exercise (1200-700), and if your body burns 2000 cals/day just to get through the day your deficit of 1500 (2000-500) is much too large unless you have 150ish lbs to lose.

If you only have 3ish lbs to lose you should set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and eat back the cals burned from exercise or you risk a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle instead of fat.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    1200 cals for 2 hours of any exercise is no where near high enough

THIS.
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    Way too low. You will feel much better by increasing your calories and you will be able maintain your lifestyle. Good luck!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Personally, for me I know that 1200 is way too low even without any exercise.

If your exercising for two hours per day I would seriously consider bumping up your calorie intake or, at the very least, eating back some of those exercise calories that you had burned. Your body needs fuel.
  • hpilon27
    Options
    No. 1200 calories is your goal before exercising. Log your food and exercises and MFP will calculate how many calories you can consume. Go by the calories remaining and aim to stay in the green :-)
  • iheartparker
    Options
    Listen to your body. The answer to your question depends on multiple factors: the vigor of your exercise, your height, your physcial make-up (fat vs muscle) and what foods you are eating that get you to 1200 calories/day. If you feel lethargic and your eyes are sunken, then you should eat more. If you feel good and are sleeping well, you're right on track. :happy:
  • Diahann_Hughes
    Diahann_Hughes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank You everyone for taking the time to reply with your advice :) Ive lost 6 stones already with exercise and eating healthy no counting points or calories anything like that and now have a couple stones to get to my target weight and thought this program would help me. I currently finding it soo hard to lost the last bit tho I exercise non stop its driving me mad so all your advice is greatly taken. I dont feel tired etc but maybe im just not eating enough hes hoping when I weigh myself sun its a positive thing xxx