MFP Calories v. BMR

Options
I want to lose a pound a week. I understood you had to cut 3500 calories over time to lose 1 pound. MFP says my BMR is 1508 and I should eat 1380 a day to lose one pound a week. I've been sticking to the plan for three weeks. I've lost 1 pound. How can I lose a pound a week by cutting out 128 calories a day?

The strange thing is I lost 24 pounds with this calorie count two years ago, and this time . . . nothing.

Replies

• mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    First off, welcome to MFP. There are a few things about your post.

First off, it is a real generalization to say 1 lb equals 3500 calories.

Second, BMR is the bare minimum number of calories to live, not to fully live. The BMR is how many calories you would expend in a coma. It doesn't include the calories necessary to get out of bed, walk to the kitchen, etc.... So, your calorie deficit is dependent upon your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) which is calculated as BMR times a generalized constant based upon your activity level (which you assigned when you did your goals). That is why your caloric intake is not much less than your BMR.

IMO your goal is probably just about right. It sounds like your calorie target is in the vicinity of 90% of your BMR. Your weight loss will not be fast, but it will be steady and healthy.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Are you logging every single thing you eat and drink? What are you doing for exercise? Are you making healthy food choices? The older we get, the more our metabolism slows down..unless you put on some lean muscle mass. Muscle burns fat 24/7. Add in some strength training days to your routine and see if that helps. Also, for me anyway, it helps to zigzag my calories. That way, my body doesn't adjust to certain number of calories at any one time.

Keep mixing things up and eating healthy, drink plenty of water, and get your sleep!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm very faithful and honest about calories, but I'm not exercising more than my daily activities. I know I would lose faster if I exercised more, but it wasn't necessary last time. I incorporate as much walking as possible into my lifestyle and I walk FAST :)

I'm hoping to get my act together to start doing the 30 Day Shred video. My friend raves about it. I'm sure that would help.

Thanks for your tips!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Duh! Thanks for that explanation. Hopefully I actually burn some calories with my normal daily activities :) I'm not one for creative theories about weight loss. Whether it's 3500 calories or a similar number, you lose weight by burning more calories than you eat. It's just frustrating to get the discipline in check and then not get good results.

I appreciate your help!