What is the validity in this? picture

Options
This meme has been going around Facebook and I just wondered if you guys think this is legit. It sure makes me feel better about the scale not budging even though I'm killing it in the gym

"I love this picture because it proves what I have been saying forever! This women gained 14 pounds and looks better (in my opinion) with the added weight. Regardless of what number the scale says, if you look good in the mirror, you look good!! Let the mirror and circumference measurements be your guide, not the scale."

536869_485076854861779_538097803_n.jpg

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Since I've seen several other pictures like this posted here from actual MFP users (of their own bodies) I'd say it's likely pretty legit. The scale isn't always the best indication of how you look.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    She's gotten rid of a lot of loose fat and built muscle. It probably took a lot of work but the scale isn't the only way to measure progress.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    She looks like she's added muscle, so I'd say its probably legit.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here's another example that's used around here a lot:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

The number on the scale is just one tool to gauge health. Pay attention to how your clothes fit, how your body looks, measurements and body fat percentage as well.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd say its legit too, I've seen a fair few of these type of pics (not just on Facebook). Go Kaleo posted one of herself just yesterday on there where she had added about 12lbs. Muscle FTW! :happy:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I got to 120lbs and now I'm 128. This is the difference in my arms. They're to about the same scale and as you can see, the 'heavier' arm is smaller.

321301_10152491531570607_979996784_n.jpg

I don't have any pics of when I wasn't doing any exercise but I hated the guts out of them. Anyone on my friends list heard me complain about them, they were jiggly. Jiggle be gone!

Also, I've only been doing an anaerobic exercise a few times a week called Spartacus for the past few months.

There are many many girls on this site whose weight surprise me who are in much better shape then me. It's something that I'm trying to aspire to.