How often do you workout?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5-6 days a week, sometimes 7 in the summer.
  • cmon49
    cmon49 Posts: 2
    Options
    Question to those that are more than 5x a week. Just trying to get a feel for if I should alter my workout routine.
    How long have you been maintaining that habit? How many days are "easy" vs. "hard" workouts? Do you feel it's sustainable (or maybe the better question is for how long would you continue doing 6-7x a week workouts)?
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    At least 4x/week, sometimes 5-6, depending on what's going on in my life. I generally take weekends off, but will occasionally go on a Saturday or Sunday.

If it's just 4 days, I warm up for 15 minutes, then lift for 30-45 minutes, then do an hour of cardio (combo of treadmill and recumbent biking)

If it's more than 4, I'll generally just do cardio to give my muscles a rest. I'm a firm believer in rest days.

ETA: I have a pretty sedentary job, but take the stairs (4 flights) numerous times a day to stay active at work as well.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Question to those that are more than 5x a week. Just trying to get a feel for if I should alter my workout routine.
    How long have you been maintaining that habit? How many days are "easy" vs. "hard" workouts? Do you feel it's sustainable (or maybe the better question is for how long would you continue doing 6-7x a week workouts)?

Over a year now. I do "hard" workouts 5 days a week and something fun, but usually hard as well on Saturdays and a lighter workout on Sunday.
    The thing is, if your workout isn't hard (for you, relatively speaking), it may burn some calories but it isn't going to make any changes to your body.

I will continue working out 7 days a week until I can't do it any more.
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I take the dog for a hike throuh the woods at least 3 times a week for 30-60 min its winter here so the snow sometimes makes it hard to get out everyday or stay out for long periods of time. I do pilates at least 3 times a week for 30-45 min depending on which video I choose. If i can't get outside for a decent hike I do a jillian michaels video 30 day shred/6 week 6 pack/yoga meltdown. In the summer I do the same but add in a 30 min run 3 times a week and swimming...the hikes are longer if the bugs are not trying to carry me away.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I started working out in 2009, just doing cardio M, W, F over my lunch hour. I ended up working with a personal trainer(and am still happily with him!) in 2010, and increased my gym time to 5 times a week and my routine is pretty much unchanged:

Monday: Cardio(stair treadmill, treadmill, eliptical, amt or similiar) and ab work
    Tues: Cardio (intervals runs + another form of cardio)
    Wed: workout with trainer
    Thur: Cardio routine again
    Fri: TRX class

(Some saturdays when my schedule allows, I take an hour long bootcamp class as well)

I am shocked that I actually enjoy working out and look forward to it!
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So I can see that alot of you are working in weight training into your fitness routine. I want to do this but have never actually done weight training (I did crossfit with my husband for about a month last year) Do you recommend getting a trainer to teach me the correct way to do it or just trying it on my own? Right now, I work cardio at home. I do either weight loss mood or hill climb.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Everyday. But there are always those days where you're just too lazy to do it. Even though "lazy" is just an excuse to not workout, I still exercise pretty much everyday so my laziness doesn't do much damage at the end of the day.
  • grangerkelly
    Options
    I used to do nothing but cardio really and I would do it 3-5x a week.

Recently I've started lifting weights/strength training as well. I do THAT 3-5x a week and I do some sort of cardio every day. On days I train, cardio will be 15-45 mins depending and on cardio-only days I do 40-60min (sometimes 75 because since I have CP it takes me a little over an hour to do a 5k ;) )
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Since "getting serious" about this, I work out four days a week by myself for 30-45 minutes, and two more days in a class for two hours. Sunday is my "rest day", to give me a little break and a chance to rest my muscles. Every single workout includes at least a bit of strength training, and quite a bit of cardio/strength. (Martial arts is sort of both. Sort of.) The strength training gets alternated on a day-by-day basis, never working the same muscles two days in a row, but not confined to arm days/leg days. I like to mix it up. :)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days per week. I do strength & resistance training 3x/week & cardio 3x/week.
  • Holliemae85
    Options
    i just worked out on Monday for the first time and its been years before that i really over did myself today being Wednesday and i still cant walk or sit and stand very well i just wanted to keep up with Jillian Michaels and she kicked my butt now being so sore i wont be able to workout for a few days so i guess the moral of this story is if your a beginner like me take it slow.......lol
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    So I can see that alot of you are working in weight training into your fitness routine. I want to do this but have never actually done weight training (I did crossfit with my husband for about a month last year) Do you recommend getting a trainer to teach me the correct way to do it or just trying it on my own? Right now, I work cardio at home. I do either weight loss mood or hill climb.

For me, a trainer made all the difference! i worked out for a year at the gym and the same 5lbs up and down. Got with my trainer and lost 20+ lbs in 6 months, and more or less have kept it off for the past 2 years.

Money can be an issue but I justify it using choosing to use my "funny money" on training, instead of eating fast food, or drinking at the bar, stopping at Starbucks, etc. For the record, it costs me $36.00 per session.

Also, it's important to find a trainer that fits your personality. Some folks like a drill sergeant, others prefer a softer approach. I was lucky to find my current trainer after working with a prior trainer who left the gym.

Good Luck!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Generally 4 or 5 times a week. I am forcing myself to have rest days as I was over training and making myself ill. On the days I do train, I often train twice - maybe doing cardio and weights and then later a swim. On my rest days I try to walk more than I usually would.
  • NateSF
    NateSF Posts: 1
    Options
    Instead of driving to the train station, then taking a bus to the office in the city, I decided to ride my bike to the train and take it with me. It's about 50 minutes of cycling each day, plus I save gas $, parking $, and bus $ ! Burs about 450 calories a day. All around it works out great...except for those sketchy drivers that don't seem to pay attention. :(
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was working my A** off in a bootcamp type regimen several times a week but I was eating crap because I had no time to cook and was just grabbing some fast food in between work and work-out. That obviously was not the way to go, so when summer hit here in the Deep South (and I couldn't go on anyway in that heat and humidity), I decided I needed to focus on my diet. Now I eat WAY healthier, but I'm still in the position of not having any exercise beyond the usual running back and forth between the copier and my desk. I know I need to exercise more frequently and I get a walk in here and there, but I'm still caught between choosing exercise or choosing a healthy meal and time with the family. Right now the famly and the meal wins out :ohwell:
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Personally, I vary how much I workout, when I workout, and what I do when working out because eventually my body will get use to the routine that I am doing. This week I am doing these random exercises that I came up for myself. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I will be working my legs out and then on Tuesday and Thursday I will be doing my arms. Next week will be something completely different.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    5-6 days week
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 2-3 times a week.
    I go to karate once a week.
    I do at least 120 push ups a day.
    I'm going to do squats on more days too.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I workout at least 5 days a week but I always try to workout 6 days.

Lately it's looked like this:

Monday - chest & triceps, 30-45 mins of cardio
    Tuesday - 45 mins of cardio
    Wednesday - Back & biceps,30- 45 mins of cardio
    Thursday - 30 minutes of cardio in the morning, Legs at night
    Friday - Shoulders & abs, 30-45 mins of cardio
    Saturday -30- 45 mins cardio
    Sunday - Rest

Mine looks really similar to this