Strength Training= No Calories Burned?

Options
Hello there,

I was entering in my strength training, but it wasn't telling me how many calories I burned.

Anyone out there with any solutions?

Thanks,

Melissa Essig
M.E.

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Hi! This will explain it for you:

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.

from http://www.myfitnesspal.com/faq
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Cardio is fairly predictable in terms of burned calories based on your age, sex, and weight, but strength training is too complex. If you want to track calories burned during strength training, consider purchasing a heart rate monitor.
  • mazarith
    mazarith Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I log in my strength training under cardio...I usually put about half the time I'm actually doing it to err on the side of caution. i.e. if I did my weight circuit for 45 min, I log it in as 22 to allow for factors such as walking between machines, rest between sets....I hope this might get a slightly close estimate of calories burned.
  • melissacb
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think that I will follow mazarith's example and also just log in half to be sure!

ME