3 days lifting/ 3 days running....tiring!

Options
so I have been shooting for total body circuit training (big compound lifts) on M/W/F, and then jogging on alternate days....but now its Wed (ie - only 2 days in so far) and my legs are totally sore from Monday's squats, and Tuesdays run.....I know I will push myself tonight, but sometimes I just feel like they are "too" sore to continue w/o another rest day. I guess this is normal right? I hear so many w/ a similar routine who don't have problems, but with my squats, I can't imagine a day when I won't be exhausted and sore the next day for running....

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this routine?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? What is your routine like on weight days? How much are you running? And how much are you eating for calories and protein? Sounds most likely you are over training or underfed
  • tray2641
    tray2641 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im doing the c25k as well as the 5 x 5 lifting program. It being your first week you may want to start one program for 2 weeks either the lifting or the running then start the other program.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am just restarting and want to be very simple (so that I stick with it!) so am just using an old modified menshealth total body workout I once saw - squat, bench, lat pull down (or seated row) in a circuit of 3x10. I will add deadlift and military press, luges and crunches soon. My main observation now, and in the past, is that doing squats mon/wed/fri leaves your legs crippled for even regular running for 30-45 min (let alone intervals), but I am going to stick w/ it. Later I think I may go for stronglifts 5x5, but right now I just want to get in the groove/regularity of it....and I think what I'm doing is pretty much all the compound exercises I should be doing right?
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I do 30 Day Shred every other day and interval run on the off days. I'm a little sore, but nothing too major. Then again, I had to start eating WAY more when I started that program, so I would recommend re-calculating your TDEE, and above all else, listen to your body. Slower progress is better than the no progress you'll make if you're hurt.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You're doing the right compound lifts. You'll be sore the first few weeks; after that, I guess it varies from person to person. Squats don't leave me legs shot and I do over my body weight. I lift M/W/F and run Tu/Th.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I run 4-5 days a week and lift heavy (for me) M/W/F (NROLW). I don't have much of a problem with soreness, except maybe right after I've lifted. I think the problem is you started both at once. I was running for quite a while before I started lifting. Doing one new thing is plenty tiring. Doing two new things can be tough. Make sure you are fueling yourself well too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    cut the running down to 2 days per week until you get used to the exercise load. if you're still tired, cut it down to 1 day per week. if still tired all the time, cut it out completely for a few weeks while you adapt to the lifting, then add the running back as you can.

you're restarting. no reason to jump into the deep end of the pool right off the start.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP I hear ya...I know 3 day full body programs are all the rage these days but my legs just dont recover well.

I'm currently doing a 3 day program alternating days in an ABA format.

Day A is Upper Body and Abs

Day B is Lower Body and Arms

Legs are trained every 4-5 days instead of 2-3 days. Provides much better recovery without the fear of dropping something and forcing you to bend over.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    cut the running down to 2 days per week until you get used to the exercise load. if you're still tired, cut it down to 1 day per week. if still tired all the time, cut it out completely for a few weeks while you adapt to the lifting, then add the running back as you can.

you're restarting. no reason to jump into the deep end of the pool right off the start.
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ Just because someone else does it on the internet or in a magazine, it doesn't mean it's right for you. Keep your long term goals in mind and give yourself some time to build up to the 6 day per week routine. Too much, Too soon = potential training error (i.e. injury).
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I've found that the day or two after squats, my legs are just far too sore to run. I've started doing a long run on a weekend day bc I'm generally not lifting and I try to do two other, shorter runs ON days I lift. I just needed too much recovery time from squats and leg presses to run the next day. Granted, I'm lucky to make a mile or two after a lifting session, compared to the 4 mile run I'd normally do....but it's better than nothing. I try to run 10-12 miles a week through 3-4 sessions and lift 2-3 days a week, too.

It's do-able but it's rough. I lasted about 3 months like this and then pretty much finally had to take a week and a half or two completely off from running and ionly lifted once during that time. I did some other cardio stuff, but that was about it. It's sometimes a struggle to fit it all in, and when something has to suffer, it's generally the running, for me. If you're going to make this your routine, be prepared to have regular deload weeks and/or decreased mileage weeks. I'd say once every month and half or two months, at least.

I'd suggest, if you need to adapt or cut something down, cut down the running. The lifting will do wonders for your body that I just don't believe running will do.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys!! I'll be flexible and give it time, and then tweak it as I need to in order to keep the choo-choo on the track! Last night I did my full body lifting routine again and my legs are not as sore as before...so don't plan on skipping running tonight,.....I guess it will just take some time for recovery. :)