Louisville Kentucky--a non-diet question

Options
Completely random, I'm sorry!

My husband and I are hoping to buy a house within the next year. Problem? We live in the most expensive part of the country, the northeast. We can't afford anything, and probably never will. Possible solution? Relocating to a new part of the country! (Crazy? Possibly!)

We both have family in the Louisville area, so in that way it makes sense. We've only visited once, and didn't do a whole lot (went to an amusement park, that's about it.) I like how it's close to a bunch of major cities, but I honestly don't know a whole bunch about the area. If there are any people who've lived there (or any part of Kentuckiana, as they say,) past or present, I'd love to hear what you think! I want to know anything you feel like telling me--crime, schools, cultural, dining, economy, nature, weather, whatever!

And if you don't feel like clogging up the message board, feel free to send me a message.

Thanks so much in advance for whatever info you've got!

Jess

Replies

• eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Completely random, I'm sorry!

My husband and I are hoping to buy a house within the next year. Problem? We live in the most expensive part of the country, the northeast. We can't afford anything, and probably never will. Possible solution? Relocating to a new part of the country! (Crazy? Possibly!)

We both have family in the Louisville area, so in that way it makes sense. We've only visited once, and didn't do a whole lot (went to an amusement park, that's about it.) I like how it's close to a bunch of major cities, but I honestly don't know a whole bunch about the area. If there are any people who've lived there (or any part of Kentuckiana, as they say,) past or present, I'd love to hear what you think! I want to know anything you feel like telling me--crime, schools, cultural, dining, economy, nature, weather, whatever!

And if you don't feel like clogging up the message board, feel free to send me a message.

Thanks so much in advance for whatever info you've got!

Jess
  • bookgirl74
    Options
    I used to live in Louisville, and now I live in a neighboring small town (but commute to Louisville for work). We all like to joke that Louisville isn't really a city...it's like a really big small town. I love it here. It is nice and friendly, and there are some cultural things to do. Not that I go out much anymore, but a pretty good bar scene, local clubs, used bookstores, and great restaurants. Also, there has been a revitalization of the downtown area in recent years with the edition of Fourth Street Live, which has been great! Don't forget about the Derby. The entire city starts celebrating a month before and pretty much shuts down in the week leading up to the first Saturday in May. Anyway, as you can see, I really do enjoy it. It's not really Southern or Midwestern...kind of a mixture of both. Great park system, including one down on the Ohio River. The thing about the weather here is that if you don't like it, stick around for 5 minutes, and it will change. UPS has a huge hub here, and is the major employer of the city. It has a good assortment of gyms and a Whole Foods! HA!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    we live in the North east too... We've thought about North Carolina or further west.
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    We lived for 10 + years in southern Indiana (Floyd County) also known as the sunny side of Louisville. :tongue: We LOVED it! Great schools in Floyd Co., good housing prices, close to everything you need in the "city", friendly families and professionals. We only moved due to hubby's job. I still have family there and love going "home".

If you need more specific information feel free to send me a message.

Best of luck with your decision.

:flowerforyou:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! It's all good info--I'll be sure to message you if I have more questions. :)
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    We lived for 10 + years in southern Indiana (Floyd County) also known as the sunny side of Louisville. :tongue: We LOVED it! Great schools in Floyd Co., good housing prices, close to everything you need in the "city", friendly families and professionals. We only moved due to hubby's job. I still have family there and love going "home".

If you need more specific information feel free to send me a message.

Best of luck with your decision.

:flowerforyou:

Agreed...I'm in Indiana too an the housing prices here are unbeatable! The average home median is $250,00 for a 4000 sq ft house.