Going to join a gym...don't know what to do

Options
2»

Replies

• pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My gym has a great weight routine, using only 9 machines. Back Extension, Leg Extension, Leg Curl, Seated Row, Bench Press, Shoulder Raise, Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension, Ab Crunch. Do talk to a trainer, or at least get an orientation, because technique is important, and you can hurt yourself with poor technique. I would avoid freeweights -- they are great for bodybuilders, but (I'm assuming) you're only looking to tone and maintain, and the machines are easier and safer and adequate for that goal. Pick a weight that you can comfortably do 12 times (not straining too hard), and just keep that up.

I would talk to the trainer and figure out what's right for you - I very rarely use machines; I find that free weights really help me develop balance and stability, which is important for injury prevention. When I use machines I sometimes find that my grip is awkward, so I'm actually more concerned with injury on the machines!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Talk to a trainer, yes. But as very pragmatic advice, make sure to ask him to show you some free weight exercises with DUMBBELLS, and the proper form to go with them. Most exercises can be done with dumbbells instead of the bar and tend to be safer if you are trying to do weights without a spotter. Particularly with things like presses.
  • SugarFemme24
    SugarFemme24 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm officially all signed up! Next step is the trainer!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'm officially all signed up! Next step is the trainer!
    Yay! Stick with it, and best of luck!
  • froggy77064
    froggy77064 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS and best of luck on your gym membership. take it slow and staedy,don't over do it and end up getting hurt. search around and find a workout routine to follow. i prefer one i can print out and take to the gym with me. that helps me keep track of my progress and on track with my workouts. i also suggest some very upbeat music while you workout,helps me stay motivated
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool? That can be a great cardio and strength workout that is less likely to get you injured. Start off with low impact things until you are certain your body can handle some additional stress. Muscle aches are usually a good thing, joint pain is a warning sign. Pay close attention to what your body is telling you and don't be afraid of rest days. They really do let your body repair itself. Good Luck!!

Excellent points!