question for those that understand body metabolism...

Options
Thermogenics.

I read article after article on these and get conflicting, self-serving information on these. Most articles sponsored by a manufacturer.

Is anyone having success carving off the last couple of pounds using thermogenic products (Dopimite, Keto-XT, etc). I read about the resultant lean tissue loss that sometimes seems to accompany these as well. I work too hard for my muscle gains to have them washed away by a thermogenic, if they don't work!

I currently eat net 1,900 cal per day.

For suppliments, I use:
whey protein
casein protein
BCAA
creatine
a good pre-work out drink

Thoughts on the thermogenics? Or is the reality, the last few pounds just take extra focus.

I am 6' 4', 200 lbs. I am seeking 195 pounds but the body is resistant!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    False, protein supplements are thermogenics. Protein has a TEF of 25% :laugh:

I think "fat burning" pills are a waste of money. Odds are they do nothing and if they do help it's likely a very trivial amount. Eat less, move more, lose weight. It's as simple as that.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    hmmm... thanks.

Sounds like I just need to grind out the last 5, eh! Based on your abs, I will assume you have some experience and knowledge! Geting close on mine... the end is in sight!

Have a great day.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Of the thermogenics I tried, I'd say the surprising boost of energy and focus helped me out much more than any "increased burning" it might have done. I did not much like the jittery feeling and a hard workout would make me feel kind of sick. As you know, there are ways to get that focus and energy (like a good preworkout drink as you mentioned) without the weird side effects and expensive price. So no, for me they did very little for that price.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Just completed getting my Personal Trainer Certification - so I do have a little bit of knowledge on the subject.

The closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to lose!

The question I have for you is what is your body fat percentage? What is your goal BF%? To cut those last 5 pounds it's your diet that's going to make a difference.

It sounds by your post that you have done your research (judging by the supplements that you're taking). Check your protein mix for the creatine content. Some protein powders have creatine already added into it, so you may be taking in more than you actually need.

Personally, I don't believe in thermogenics, but have I used them? Did they help? Psychologicall, maybe - but as skydiveD30571 pointed out - after a good hard workout I felt like puking.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    great posts and many thanks for the input and feedback.

MellyG, i am currently at 11% BF. 5 lbs gets me tight enough and down to about 9%. I don't have visions of 6%! ;-) How difficult was getting your Personal Training Cert?

Y'all have a great day and thanks again!