I NEED SNEAKER ADVICE!

Options
My exercise mostly consists of power walking on flat or inclined surfaces and occasional running. I am noticing, however, that the day after I exercise, my ankles, shins and knees are super sore. Is there a sneaker out there that specializes in support and protection of those particular areas? Thank you in advance for your help!

Bianca Sophia

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    no advice for you, I have the same issues. I have weak ankles and a bad knee so I walk a lot and can't run, but I still have knee pain, and hip pain.
    I wear generic athletic sneakers, I think the ones I have now are Dr. Scholls with the gel inserts, but they're not good enough.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I love my New Balance running shoes. I got a $55 pair for $40 at a shoe store. You probably need to just go try on a bunch of pairs of running shoes and see which ones offer the support and comfort you need. They probably thought I was a nut but when I found my shoes I jogged around the store a little to make sure they'd still feel good. I wanted to make sure to find a pair that would cushion my feet and not rub anywhere.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    I am also doing 20 minutes of Yoga after my run. It really feels good to stretch my legs so thoroughly.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Even if you are doing mostly power walking it is important that you wear a running shoe. They are built to absorb the shock better than a cross trainer or walking shoe (they are also lighter weight so your legs wont get as tired).

Some of the brands I like the best are New Balance, Ryka, and Nike. All of them have good cushioning and great support. They all seem to fit people differently, so certain brands work for one person and not the next. I have a narrow foot for example so Nike is an excellent fit. Just be willing to pay a little more for your running shoes. This is definitely not somewhere you want to try and save some money. Running shoes are a perfect example of you get what you pay for. If you try a cheap brand now your feet could pay for it for the rest of your life...

Also make sure you have about a 1/2 an inch of room at the end of the shoe. One of the reasons people have so much trouble with running shoes is they buy the same size they always wear and their toes are too close to the end. You need to be absolutely sure that when you take a high impact step forward your toes do not reach the end. Also make sure you can tighten them well and you are not slipping in the heel. I could go on all day, but it really is a science and often it is not the shoe that is the problem but it is the fit.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!
  • robin52077
    Options
    funny you both said New Balance. I live in a town, in Maine, where there is the New Balance FACTORY, they are MADE just 5 minutes from my house, and I have never tried them. There is a huge outlet store near the factory with every type of product new balance makes for pretty cheap, I should really head over there!

Thanks!
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You should check it out Robin. The other nice thing is that they are available in widths so it is easier to get the perfect fit. They are hard to find in anything but standard sizes in regular stores, but sounds like you should be able to find anything. I am totally jealous :smile:
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is go to http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html and learn about pronation. If you go to Youtube and search Pronation there are good video explanations as well. After you figure out what kind of pronator you are go to http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html and figure out your arch type. Finally goto any of the major shoe websites like my favorite http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Shoe+Advisor/ and fill out the "test" on your foot type and they will suggest the shoes for your foot. Or you can go to your local running store and have someone do all that for you.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You didn't say where you're shopping - it would help to go to a specialty running store and get advice from the sales people. They can help you find the proper shoe or you might need added support like arch supports. Don't skimp on your feet! :drinker:
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    You should try on different brands. Everyone's feet are different. The reason I went with the New Balance is because I have a narrow foot and they had the different width sizes so I could choose one that doesn't slide around on my foot.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    You should try on different brands. Everyone's feet are different. The reason I went with the New Balance is because I have a narrow foot and they had the different width sizes so I could choose one that doesn't slide around on my foot.
  • frozenimage
    frozenimage Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was using New Balance for a long time and I was running into the same problems you are. I switched to Asics after doing a lot of research. I have used them for over a year and they work great!! Going to replace them next week. I use the 2130 as I don't pronate. Their website is very helpful for figuring what shoe is best for you.

Good Luck
    Jed
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    You didn't say where you're shopping - it would help to go to a specialty running store and get advice from the sales people. They can help you find the proper shoe or you might need added support like arch supports. Don't skimp on your feet! :drinker:

Ditto. Go to a specialized store (a lot of them are good with both running and power walking). It isn't so much about a particular brand of shoe (though some are better than others) but what type of support your particular foot needs for the way that you walking/run. They might also be able to give you some pointers about your form that could reduce the pain.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

Ditto. Go to a specialized store (a lot of them are good with both running and power walking). It isn't so much about a particular brand of shoe (though some are better than others) but what type of support your particular foot needs for the way that you walking/run. They might also be able to give you some pointers about your form that could reduce the pain.
    There's NB store here whose employees are trained to match a shoe with your feet based on how you walk, what activities you'll use it for, etc. I got a pair, with inserts, and love them! Asics are also a good brand.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I am :grumble: CHEAP:noway: :ohwell: !!! But I am also 40 and I weigh *coughALOTcough* more than my joints should have to cope with...:tongue:

I went to a running store - not a BIG BOX sporting store but one where they actually have you walk bare-foot back and forth while they get down low to watch how your feet strike and roll... I ended up paying $140 for a pair of running shoes with extra shock absorption - but they also had a pair they thought would work well for under $100... :love: GREAT advice. I decided to get the fancy ones for my first pair while I try to get at least another 15lbs off - then I'll try a less expensive pair:wink: .

Walking on pavement will be tougher on your body than a treadmill or padded track (indoor with rubber, cork or synthetic surface).

The shoes I purchased at the fancy running store cost about $5 more than they would have on-line. I am FINE :bigsmile: paying $5 for the custom advice! (paying sales tax was a shock for this on-line buyer!:huh: ).

GOOD LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • robin52077
    Options
    The first thing to do is go to http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html and learn about pronation. If you go to Youtube and search Pronation there are good video explanations as well. After you figure out what kind of pronator you are go to http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html and figure out your arch type. Finally goto any of the major shoe websites like my favorite http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Shoe+Advisor/ and fill out the "test" on your foot type and they will suggest the shoes for your foot. Or you can go to your local running store and have someone do all that for you.

THANK YOU!

I didn't know about ANY of this, as I just started exercising after being a couch potato most of my life. I want to do C25K but was worried about my bad anke and knee.

I just discovered I am an overpronator with nearly flat feet, so I need extra arch support, and the more expensive shoes unfortunately!!! Looking at the soles of my old sneakers, the ball of the foot and big toe are worn almost all the way through while the rest looks brand new!

But I work on my feet all day long and better support might help my pain by the end of a 9 hour day.

SO THANK YOU again, I finally understand my feet and how to correct it!
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    Robin and Blinky,
    It might not be a bad idea to go to a padiatrist and have them take a look at your feet. You might also need to get arch support that is acculy fitted to your feet. The best thing is to go to an MD.
  • vixey2906
    vixey2906 Posts: 30
    Options
    My physio therapist said if you hit the inside of your shoe and it hurts theres not enough padding in it, I know thats pretty vague but a well padded shoe might help. And he also said to make sure you do your laces up tight enough so it supports your ankle as I'd always leave them undone in the shoe. So Im not sure how effective this would be for you, but its a pretty simple place to start :)
  • beachcomber12
    Options
    Bianca, Have you considered getting an orthotic for inside your shoe. I know when I had that problem that is what I used and it really helped!!

OH BTW , have you tried the Skeecher fitness shoes? I have a pair and love them for walking.
  • beachcomber12
    Options
    Bianca, Also, don't forget to do some stretching excersises for your tibialis anterior (shins).
  • acakeforawife
    Options

THANK YOU!

I didn't know about ANY of this, as I just started exercising after being a couch potato most of my life. I want to do C25K but was worried about my bad anke and knee.

I just discovered I am an overpronator with nearly flat feet, so I need extra arch support, and the more expensive shoes unfortunately!!! Looking at the soles of my old sneakers, the ball of the foot and big toe are worn almost all the way through while the rest looks brand new!

But I work on my feet all day long and better support might help my pain by the end of a 9 hour day.

SO THANK YOU again, I finally understand my feet and how to correct it!

I am also an overpronator, with flat arches. :smile: It is AMAZING what a properly fitted shoe can do -- not just for how your foot feels, but for everything else -- shins, knees, hips, etc. I would echo all the advice to hit a running store though -- they will have more variety than a brand-specific store, and more knowledge than a big-box sporting goods store. Ideally you want to try on AT LEAST a half-dozen pairs or so to get a feel for how the different brands fit, and have the sales person watch you walk/run across the store. They are really trained for that, and it's so much better than trying to 'self-diagnose' online. Like for me, I am a SEVER over pronator, BUT the shoes that ended up working best on me are ones that are slightly LESS corrective than my old ones. Who knows why, but some magical combo about the shoe just really supported me in the right way. And they ended up being cheaper! Gotta love that. :bigsmile:

Good luck with your shoe shopping!