Free weights vs weight machines

I have been doing my cardio and have dropped my first 30 lbs. 50 more to go. I know I need to really work on my strength training now to build the muscle and tone up so I don't end up "skinny-fat"

I hear a lot about free weights and weigh machines at the gym. Can someone give me a good breakdown on the differences between the two?

Replies

• Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Bump, I'd like to know this as well
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    free weights recruit a lot more stability muscles vs. a machine.

You will get a lot of different opinions and I know i myself hop between free vs machine - but for what its worth especially if you are starting I would stick with free weights and compound movements (involving more then one joint) If you are uncomfortable performing the exercises get a trainer who is willing to show you movements.

just my 2 cents.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

If given the opportunity, go for free weights. It doesn't isolate the muscles the way machines do. As an example, if you do a shoulder press on the machine, you're seated with your back supported, and it only works your shoulders as you push upwards. Doing an overhead press with a barbell, you're (typically) standing and you can feel it in your calves, thighs, abs, arms, back and shoulders.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    What docmahi said.

Machines isolate muscles. If you have an injury, this may be necessary. Or if you're particularly vain about one particular body part (and even then, there's often a free weight or dumbbell exercise that works the same muscle). Otherwise, free weights are the best option.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Definitely go with free weights, if at all possible.

The other thing that I didn't see mentioned is that machines also tend to restrict the motion - and it's not always how your body would naturally move.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I do 75% free weights an 25% machines. I like the cable rows, lat pulldowns, ropes (pulldown or twist), and I use the smith machine to do assisted pullups (I put my feet on a weight bench as a stabilizer). I much prefer free weights, but there are some good machines.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    I'd say it depends on your goals. Machines do indeed isolate muscles, which can be good and bad, but they are also safe to do alone (more or less), and are likely the best place to start.

Going for serious bodybuilding, or when you've got a good solid core of strength going for you, I'd move to freeweights. But it's WAY harder to do freeweights "right". It's very easy to swing your whole body into a motion, and not work what you should be working. Machines don't let you do that very easily.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I love the machines, but I'm an 'old' person with a lot of previous injuries...rotator cuff, elbow, knee, back and feet. lol I like the stability of them, and I still get an awesome workout. It's like anything else, it depends on what you put into it. Some people walk up to a machine, do ten light reps and then walk away. I sit there and do 3 sets on each machine, using the highest weight I can.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    I use a mix, but mainly weight machines- as I have terrible balance, I literally fall over nothing. I know a couple of male friends who have aaaalls been into working out etc. that say they 'don't feel' it with machines were as they do with weights.

Really, it's just what you feel most comfortable with.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Free weights give you more symmetry, with weight machines the stronger side will continue to take the strain from the weaker side so it remains the same.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    A high level breakdown of free weights versus machines with weights:

Free weights:
    - Making sure you have proper form is on you, it's also typically easier to learn proper form here since you have full control
    - Typically a wider range of motion for your exercises
    - Work your stabilizer muscles - tiny little muscles no one ever talks about but help reduce injury and make you stronger and more stable.
    - Give a much wider range of options regarding which exercises you can do
    - Can buy weights to use at home. can't buy machines and put them in your home (not sensible, anyway)
    -All of the above will increase your strength faster and with better results (and make you look better)

Weight machines:
    - These machines are called stablizer equipment because they stablize the weight for you (taking those small muscles out of the equation
    - People have a hard time fitting their body to the machines sometimes which results in the wrong form
    - People must have a very good knowledge of how to use a machine (i.e. read the instructions) otherwise they will probably do the wrong form with the wrong weight and could easily injur themselves

I don't have several points to add to the "weight machines" section because honestly that's all you need to know. They do most of the work for you therefore you aren't getting as much out of your workout. And who wants to go workout and not get EVERYTHING THEY CAN out of it if they're willing to put in the work?

P.S. I do not consider cable machines "machines," per say. Because the cable machines all a full range of motion and do not stablize you at all, therefore are create tools to utilze in a workout.

P.P.S. I recommend using some machines if you know the proper form. I tend to use them as the last exercise in my muscle group in order to "burn out" that particular muscle group. In other words, generally I use the machine on a light weight but go really really slow so I totally burn my muscles out to failure.

One last thing: NEVER EVER EVER EVER do I recommend using a Smith Machine. Stay away, far far away.

Hope this helps!!

Sorry if any typo's, didn't proofread.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Free weights are the better for results if you can handle them. There is nothing wrong if you prefer machines as you can get a workout using them, its just not the gold standard. By all means do what are co.mfortable with.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Everything below... from personal experience, just the difference between the "max rack" machine I used to use, and free weights squatting is night and day... the machine allowed forward and back movement, but it took all the balancing out of it.. I had to relearn squats when I switched gyms (for the better).

You'll likely need to lower the weights to use proper form, but free weights are amazing. Machines are great for specific muscles, or working to exhaustion on a specific muscle set, but generally leave much to be desired for an "all around" workout.
    A high level breakdown of free weights versus machines with weights:

Free weights:
    - Making sure you have proper form is on you, it's also typically easier to learn proper form here since you have full control
    - Typically a wider range of motion for your exercises
    - Work your stabilizer muscles - tiny little muscles no one ever talks about but help reduce injury and make you stronger and more stable.
    - Give a much wider range of options regarding which exercises you can do
    - Can buy weights to use at home. can't buy machines and put them in your home (not sensible, anyway)
    -All of the above will increase your strength faster and with better results (and make you look better)

Weight machines:
    - These machines are called stablizer equipment because they stablize the weight for you (taking those small muscles out of the equation
    - People have a hard time fitting their body to the machines sometimes which results in the wrong form
    - People must have a very good knowledge of how to use a machine (i.e. read the instructions) otherwise they will probably do the wrong form with the wrong weight and could easily injur themselves

I don't have several points to add to the "weight machines" section because honestly that's all you need to know. They do most of the work for you therefore you aren't getting as much out of your workout. And who wants to go workout and not get EVERYTHING THEY CAN out of it if they're willing to put in the work?

P.S. I do not consider cable machines "machines," per say. Because the cable machines all a full range of motion and do not stablize you at all, therefore are create tools to utilze in a workout.

P.P.S. I recommend using some machines if you know the proper form. I tend to use them as the last exercise in my muscle group in order to "burn out" that particular muscle group. In other words, generally I use the machine on a light weight but go really really slow so I totally burn my muscles out to failure.

One last thing: NEVER EVER EVER EVER do I recommend using a Smith Machine. Stay away, far far away.

Hope this helps!!

Sorry if any typo's, didn't proofread.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Like others have said, free-weights, when done with proper form will give you a much better workout. You should see good results with either one, though.

Read the book Starting Strength, and it will show you how to lift with proper form, and explain in good detail the difference between free-weights, and machines.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    I do free weights with compound movements because I don't have the time to spend hours in the gym isolating every little muscle. That is just me though.
  • PoshDinosaur
    PoshDinosaur Posts: 49 Member
    I'm a tall guy, and I find that the weights machines aren't really set up for me - I'm forced into an uncomfortable posture and the movement seems to stop before I fully extend my wingspan. Just a thought if you were similar to me.

I much prefer free weights for recruiting your stabilisers. It's the little things.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I do free weights with compound movements because I don't have the time to spend hours in the gym isolating every little muscle. That is just me though.

I agree.

To get a similar benefit from machines to the Squat you would have to do leg extensions, leg curls, the thigh abductor machines, glute kickbacks, back extensions, ab work, and some light trap work. Squats are a much better exercise, will build muscle faster, and you can go heavier. Plus you are less likely to mess up your knees, and other joints doing squats than you are with machines.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Another thing about free weights... it'll greatly cut down on the amount of time you spend on the gym.

When I used machines, I did: leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf press, glute press, ab crunch, back extension, tricep press, tricep extension, bicep curl, seated row, lat pulldown, chest press, shoulder press, lateral raise, and chest fly. Not all on the same day, mind you, but that's 16 different machines.

Now, I do Stronglifts 5x5, which includes bench press, bent over rows, overhead press, squats and deadlifts. That's it. Five lifts. It's hitting all the muscle groups. And I look better than ever.

Edit: Or... what Dave and a few others said while I was typing up the giant list of machines I used to do. :laugh:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I do a mixture of bodyweight, machine and free weights (dumbbells & barbells).

Bodyweight - I can do anywhere.

Machines - I train alone, they are good for circuits as quick set up and adjustment. I have quite a few injuries which preclude a lot of the classic free weight barbell exercises. Good for beginners to gain some strength and confidence.

Free weights - undoubtedly better if you can do then, get expert help to learn the correct technique. Compound exercises give you the biggest bang for your buck.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    A couple machine pros for me:

You don't worry about dropping a weight on your foot, especially at higher weights.
    They come with directions and pictures right on the machine to let you know how to use it and what muscles it works. I don't need someone to show me how to use most of them because they are self explanatory.
    Most of the time, to change the weight, you just move a pin from one slot to the next.

The biggest cons for me:

They take up a lot of space and are expensive, so they aren't a home gym option unless I get a total gym or a bowflex.
    Some of the machines at the gym don't fully adjust to fit very tall or very short people. I'm 5foot, so some machines just don't fit me even when I adjusted them.