work out questions.....

Options
I have a few.....

I workout 6 days a week....

Here is kind of a break down....

4am..... 30-45 minute Jillian Michaels workout 6 days a week....
12pm.... 30-45 minutes cardio (treadmill) 6 days a week....
5:15pm to when ever..... Weights and classes at the gym.... 5 days a week.....

I eat okay.... My biggest problem is fried food on my lunch break.... for instance... I will get grilled shrimp/fish/chicken... and salad... THEN I STUPIDLY get onion rings lol)

I guess my question is should I be working out more or less or should I just keep it up....

I haven't lost any weight in the last 2 months.... I am 5'6" tall and flucuate between 134-137... (which I am not upset about at all)

My main thing is toning... but I just dont see it just yet... I am working on upping my protein... just wanna see what other MFPer's think....

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My first thought is you're working out TOO much.

If you really want to :cringe: "tone," you'd be better off lifting heavy weights* and eating at maintenance - since you've indicated that you're happy at ~135 lbs. You can do some cardio, too - especially since you seem to like it. But limit it to about 1/2 hour after lifting, or no more than an hour on your non-lifting days.

* Heavy means heavy for you. And regular compound movements - squat, deadlift, bench press - will give you the most bang for your buck.

eta: Since you're happy at 135ish lbs, don't worry about eating onion rings, if you feel like having them.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My knee jerk reaction is to say that you are over training. Unless you are a professional or collegiate athlete, one can achieve their exercise goals without spending 2 hrs a day exercising (I'm assuming you are doing 40 min with Jillian and 40 doing treadmill and at least 30 min weight lifting). I'm not familiar with Jillian's workout (if it's cardio or weights).

As for recommendations, I would at the very least stop doing whatever you are doing two of during the day.

Also, I believe you can achieve the same results by doing only one of those per day (weights or cardio). Some people will do 5-10 min of cardio (treadmill) as a warm up during days they lift. If you are doing cardio 2+ days/week, I dont think cardio is necessary on days you lift.

Again, I'm no personal trainer, so dont take this as gospel, but I think you are over training. It's very rare to find people who exercise more than 2 hours per day. If they do, it's probably because they spend more time talking than working out while in the gym.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm exhausted just from looking at your schedule!
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    agree.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    agree.

I’ll make it an even three. :)

How do you DO it?
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

LMAO that is what everyone says lol
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    agree.

How do you DO it?

LOL
    I weighed 220 pounds not too long ago and wore a size 20/22.... I started dieting and dropped around 90 pounds and now wear a size 4/5 ... lol.... then I just kinda got addicted.... I am always kinda leary of gaining that weight back so I swore I would never be called CHUNKY again... So I just try to get that "beach body" that I have NEVER had lol... But hopefully one day I WILL!!!!!!
  • SaffSaad
    Options
    agree.

How do you DO it?

LOL
    I weighed 220 pounds not too long ago and wore a size 20/22.... I started dieting and dropped around 90 pounds and now wear a size 4/5 ... lol.... then I just kinda got addicted.... I am always kinda leary of gaining that weight back so I swore I would never be called CHUNKY again... So I just try to get that "beach body" that I have NEVER had lol... But hopefully one day I WILL!!!!!!

You won't gain the weight back if you eat at maintenance and exercise regularly. That being said I think you're working out too much. If you like working out maybe you should exercise 5 days a week, 2 days cardio and 3 days weight lifting. You'll definitely need to do strength training if you want to 'tone up', lifting heavy will give you that.