Fat vs Muscle

Options
A friend forwarded me a picture that I thought was VERY Telling! The picture below is not it, but very close. I'll also post a link to a website below.

Basically, it shows a pound of fat versus a pound of muscle (ok, the picture below is 5 pounds of each, however). Some people think that a pound of fat weighs less than muscle. This simply is not true. The fact is that a pound is a pound ~ period. However, it's the distribution of that pound. Muscle is more dense and smoother than fat. Fat is lumpy, looser, and spreads out.

So, as we are working on our lifestyle change, don't get discouraged if we don't lose weight one or two weeks. We might even gain a pound or so. That could be your muscles building up! Do your clothes fit looser? Are you getting compliments when you think: oh brother, the scale went up! Well, again, could be muscles. (oh, and YES, I AM talking to myself here toooo!!!!)

Don't lose heart and keep on working towards your lifestyle change! :flowerforyou:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/images/fat-v-muscle.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html&h=233&w=391&sz=18&tbnid=N_wmX6_gzd1ynM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=125&prev=/search?q=fat+versus+muscle&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=fat+versus+muscle&usg=__TXEFs0XVK9cIx_USOTLTufQ_f8Y=&sa=X&ei=fY8JUbDYD5DW9QTcloDYDA&ved=0CCYQ9QEwAg

ETA: Picture doesn't seem to be working, however, if you click on the google link, you will see it.

33bhjcj.jpg

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that pic, this proves muscle weighs more than fat despite all the haters
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    LOL.. It doesn't weigh more.. it just has more volume.. they are both 1lb..
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If they both weigh 5 lbs, how does the fat weigh more than the muscle?
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That picture made me hungry
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This topic is divisive and therefore shouldn't be posted in the forums. I'm already getting upset.

REPORTED

viserysdragon_zps1f4ec538.gif
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!

Well, I'm working on getting the flabby fat off and building up the smooth muscle. What's wrong with that???

Plus, a pound is a pound is a pound. Right? :wink:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Lol, it shows that muscle is smaller and more compact than fat (less lumpy and fluffy).
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Lol, it shows that muscle is smaller and more compact than fat (less lumpy and fluffy).

that is because it is heavier
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

that is because it is heavier

I know you are just joking. :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think most people who say muscle weighs more than fat are speaking in terms of volume...I don't know anyone who actually thinks 1 Lb of muscle weighs more than 1 Lb of fat...a Lb is a Lb. However, by volume...as the illustration nicely shows, muscle does weigh more than fat; that's what people are referring to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    More importantly...which is heavier?

A 10lb ream of paper:

Reamofpaper_zps5322b9b7.jpg

or a 10lb dumbbell?

Dumbbell_zps528cd85b.jpg
  • Sharla_G
    Options
    I *DO* want to be "more compact"! I DO I DO!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

A 10lb ream of paper:

or a 10lb dumbbell?

Dumbbell_zps528cd85b.jpg

The paper shreds easier so the dumbbell is heavier.
  • dee__s
    dee__s Posts: 30
    Options
    ew.. kind of grossed out by that chunk of fat
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

A 10lb ream of paper:

or a 10lb dumbbell?

Dumbbell_zps528cd85b.jpg

The paper shreds easier so the dumbbell is heavier.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that paper covers rock...er, dumbbell. So paper wins.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

A 10lb ream of paper:

or a 10lb dumbbell?

Dumbbell_zps528cd85b.jpg

or a 10lb baby?

scan0011.jpg

Assuming we throw them all in a pool?
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    awe... cute baby!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

A 10lb ream of paper:

or a 10lb dumbbell?

Dumbbell_zps528cd85b.jpg

Well they're the same if it's that orange dumbell but if it were a pink dumbell the paper would be heavier. True story!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This topic is divisive and therefore shouldn't be posted in the forums. I'm already getting upset.

REPORTED

viserysdragon_zps1f4ec538.gif

Oh I woke up that dragon in my dream haha
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have one of those beautiful tight muscles where there used to be fat on my legs...I can feel the difference and others comment that they can see it...I love that they take the time to tell me they have noticed, but even if they didn't...I KNOW and that is what really matters...when I reach behind my knee and feel the POWER in the muscle that sits right above it (the back of my thigh)...I KNOW that what I am doing has all been worthwhile...I feel stronger each and every day!! I love what MFP and my friends have helped me accomplish in one short year!! YAY YOU ALL! I LOVE YOU!!